Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Thanks
HELP >> GLOSSARY in the toolbar is your friend
Originally Posted by HELP >> GLOSSARY
SNS Saturday night stay (as a requirement for certain airfares)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks

Just did a dummy booking in August Sfo to lhr staying two weeks. Total price for PE was $1368.00. Booking in us.
Yes, 2 weeks would give you an SNS.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mduell
Yes, 2 weeks would give you an SNS.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a saturday night stay requirement referred to as SNS
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I'm not sure I've ever seen a saturday night stay requirement referred to as SNS
It's sufficiently common to be in the FT glossary.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Just read this today in the San Francisco Examiner, TRAVELSKILLS WITH CHRIS MCGINNIS

In a conference call on first quarter results, Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Nocella said United's new Premium Plus seating will start to appear on aircraft as soon as this summer, although the seats won't start to be sold as a separate product until late this year or early next year, with the official launch slated for the first quarter of 2019. Until then, FlightGlobal reports they'll be treated (and priced) like Economy Plus extra-legroom seats.

so good luck being assured you will get premium economy. Can’t understand why they just don’t price it at the get go. Of course if you get an accurate aircraft map, you can get a great deal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2018 at 8:18 pm Reason: No need to post ads
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

so good luck being assured you will get premium economy. Can’t understand why they just don’t price it at the get go. Of course if you get an accurate aircraft map, you can get a great deal.

Because in the early days of the rollout, there will be fewer planes with PE than without. Oftentimes it's not clear which tail will serve a flight until boarding. So this eliminates having to upcharge and refund. Once there's a critical mass and PE-eqipped planes run dedicated routes, they can more reliably charge for the product.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by wxguy
Because in the early days of the rollout, there will be fewer planes with PE than without. Oftentimes it's not clear which tail will serve a flight until boarding. So this eliminates having to upcharge and refund. Once there's a critical mass and PE-eqipped planes run dedicated routes, they can more reliably charge for the product.
Yup, AA also handled it this way.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:32 pm

So you could use miles, get a coach seat, pay the E+ fare and end up in Pe? WIll there me a way to have a good guess at your chances of this?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you could use miles, get a coach seat, pay the E+ fare and end up in Pe? WIll there me a way to have a good guess at your chances of this?
In theory, yes; in practice, it's too soon to tell. If they follow the priority order that they would use for complimentary upgrades, the chances of a general member having this happen aren't good. If it's first-come, first-served, or if they just keep the same seat assignments, etc., then perhaps.

Either way, you'll need to wait until P+ actually exists on some planes to know what the strategy will be. I'm quite certain they'll be a robust thread about the best way to get those seats.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Until there is a prevailing number of frames with PE, I expect it is book a seat assignment in E+ on the "old" seatmap and then be at the mercy of swaps.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
In theory, yes; in practice, it's too soon to tell. If they follow the priority order that they would use for complimentary upgrades, the chances of a general member having this happen aren't good. If it's first-come, first-served, or if they just keep the same seat assignments, etc., then perhaps.

Either way, you'll need to wait until P+ actually exists on some planes to know what the strategy will be. I'm quite certain they'll be a robust thread about the best way to get those seats.
can’t you book a coach award and pay extra for E+.?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but that doesn't guarantee you'd end up in P+ on a plane with that configuration. Those planes will also have E+.

If they go by status and fare class, like they would for op-ups, someone on an award ticket and paid E+ would be at or near the bottom of the list. If they just remap seat assignments, it's possible that people with seat assignments in the front of the E+ cabin will end up in P+ regardless of status (but keep in mind that there are E+ seats that wouldn't exist on a P+ plane, as the number of seats in each row will change).

Barring an announcement by United, I think we'll have to wait and see what happens once some P+-equipped planes start to enter the fleet.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you asking about E+ then Yes -- unless you have elite E+ access, then there no cost (Silvers not till check-in).
If you are asking about P+, doubtful but we don't know yet.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you asking about E+ then Yes -- unless you have elite E+ access, then there no cost (Silvers not till check-in).
If you are asking about P+, doubtful but we don't know yet.
The original question was whether someone could purchase E+ access and then get a P+ seat due to the recent announcement that P+ would be treated like E+ between the time that P+ seats are introduced and the time that P+ starts getting sold as a separate cabin.

I agree that "we don't know yet" is the best answer to that question.

As for whether or not you would eventually be able to use miles to redeem for E and then purchase an upgrade to P+ -- considering that you can purchase an upgrade from E to J on an award ticket today, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you will be able to purchase an upgrade from E to P+ at check-in, even on an award ticket. But, again, this is all speculation.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
It would appear I'm loosing my mind possibly

1997 international choices:

Economy = Coach
E+ = Coach with a bit more leg room
Business (Connoisseur) - Barco Loungers, better food, on real China.
First - Lie Flat seat, slightly better Food.

2018 Choices:

Economy = Coach
E+ = Coach with a bit more leg room
Premium Economy = Possibly Barco Lounge type chairs, better food (possibly real china)
Business - Lie flat seat - slightly better food

So it took about 21 years to circle back to the same products - although I won't miss the Hi8 tapes in First, or the looping 9 channels of tape playback everywhere else.
schley, drewguy, narvik and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.