Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Oh boy I wonder how long it will really take for UA to roll this out!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by findark
The makes sense. But the "P fares now book into PE" thing is completely absurd. Also I don't think it's the end of the world if it's Y -> PE for GPUs; certainly not the end of 1K. I don't have a lot of issues booking PE and waitlisting an upgrade to J, as long as it doesn't require an absurdly expensive fare for PE. The system and price point with LH E fares works great for me right now.
Oh I agree it's not that bad for many of us. I've moved most of my travel off UA at this point, but I would find it appealing to buy PE and then have the potential to upgrade to J via GPU or miles. My employer's rules allow for reimbursement of PE but not J; at least with the PE -> J plan you are guaranteed a decent seat even if the upgrade doesn't clear.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Oh boy I wonder how long it will really take for UA to roll this out!!!!
<cough><cough> Ice Cream Sundaes still in a paper cup.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy
<cough><cough> Ice Cream Sundaes still in a paper cup.
it took about 9 months to switch coffee to Illy. And that didn’t require taking hulls temporarily out of service.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
PE was probably in the works for the last several months. Maybe the reason for the slow Polaris seat rollout was UA preparing to launch PE, then accelerate the retrofits once they are able to install both Polaris J and PE simultaneously.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Austin787
PE was probably in the works for the last several months. Maybe the reason for the slow Polaris seat rollout was UA preparing to launch PE, then accelerate the retrofits once they are able to install both Polaris J and PE simultaneously.
That sounds plausible. What's the explanation for the lounges?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
PE was probably in the works for the last several months.
I'd guess years. This is not a fast moving organization, even for its size.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:53 pm

For seat width, there are actually two separate metrics, both important -- the width of the seat itself and the width of the armrest. I wouldn't mind a PE that was only say 1 inch wider, if the armrest was in the 5-6" range so that two people can share the same armrest without bumping elbows etc. Hard to tell from the lateral view in the photo, but it looks like the armrest might be about 4" wide or more?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Why do I think we’re gonna see 8- (787s) and 9-across PE (777s) regardless of what the picture looks like?

Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Why do I think we’re gonna see 8- (787s) and 9-across PE (777s) regardless of what the picture
looks like?

I’d guess:

777: 2-4-2
787: 2-3-2
350: 2-3-2
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:15 pm
FTA

Thumbs up for better seats. Dump everything else. I'm not paying $100 more to eat of a real plate and get a "complimentary" $3 amenity kit
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I wonder if this has been the reason for the delay getting the 777-200 Polaris retrofit line up and running.
I thought the same thing along with all planned retrofits to Polaris. Makes sense to pull the frame out of service for one visit only. I imagine we all knew this was coming after AA and DL

Last edited by PSPAirliner; Jan 18, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
For seat width, there are actually two separate metrics, both important -- the width of the seat itself and the width of the armrest. I wouldn't mind a PE that was only say 1 inch wider, if the armrest was in the 5-6" range so that two people can share the same armrest without bumping elbows etc. Hard to tell from the lateral view in the photo, but it looks like the armrest might be about 4" wide or more?
In some of the BA planes where I was in Premium Economy they had two armrests between the seats. Made it really comfortable. In addition one or two of the lunch/dinner choices were coming from the Business Class menu (disclaimer, they had no clue how to cook a steak and it was always overcooked, hard and inedible).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that it will launch on the 787-10.
That seems like the most reasonable way for them to test the product, especially with the small size of the fleet (at least in the beginning).

But would the 789 be the next ones up? Seems they are used for the ultra-longhaul (i.e. LAX/SFO-SIN; IAH-SYD), where I would expect PE to be very desirable to passengers. And the need to make sure these seats exist on those flights, so they can be sold. Also, the -9 to -10 interchangability would.help on shorter routes (i.e. SFO-HND, LAX-NRT).

As others state, the 772 Polaris retrofit seems like an opportunity to do this, but there's just so many of them, and it would be hard to control which routes they fly during the transition. I'm thinking maybe plan they do it as a E+ -> PE swap later, which could potentially be much faster. (i.e. at MIA, instead of HKG/XMN heavy maint).

All this total speculation on my part, of course. Just because it's way too much fun.

Last edited by wh6cto; Jan 18, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: fixed grammar
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I hope this is just their beta design photo. If you look at more ergonomic seats there is at least some attention to center-line cushioning/cradling versus the flat back as shown. It does not look like a sleeping seat versus designs on other carriers which cradle the body.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.