Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Kacee
Looks like domestic F pitch to me (38"), which is about what we should expect.

Obviously much better than 10 across Y with 31-34" pitch. The most important things are (1) you won't be shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor forced to share a tiny little armrest, and (2) you'll have leg support and somewhere to rest your feet. While it's not lie-flat, it's going to be much less miserable than long-haul Y.
It can't ever be lie flat. Converting J to lie flat is what got us to this point.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Has anyone heard if UA’s PE will have a dedicated flight attendant(s) like Delta? It is my understanding that AA doesn’t. Also, I’ve seen where Delta uses china and glassware for meal service in PE while AA uses china but plastic cups like regular Economy. Any word yet on United’s plan for meal service?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A fairly positive review of the seat on TPG. They managed to get a pax on the inaugural flight.

United's New Premium Plus Seat on the 772-200
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Has anyone heard if UA’s PE will have a dedicated flight attendant(s) like Delta? It is my understanding that AA doesn’t. Also, I’ve seen where Delta uses china and glassware for meal service in PE while AA uses china but plastic cups like regular Economy. Any word yet on United’s plan for meal service?
What is this board's obsession with china and glassware?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dilanesp
What is this board's obsession with china and glassware?
Simple curiosity? Perhaps as to whether and how UA might differentiate their PE product? I.e. all of the seats are the same, so will UA go for some soft service advantage like dedicated FAs, will UA mimic DL's plated service or "go for great" with AA's plastic cups?

Granted with the wines served by AA, the stemware makes very little difference, but it would be nicer to have than a plastic cup. If anything, the plastic cups seem cheap and almost an oversight on the part of inflight services...
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
A fairly positive review of the seat on TPG. They managed to get a pax on the inaugural flight.

And a positive review at that! Even without the soft product. Thanks for posting this, Kacee. Although, IME and contrary to TPG's, AF's PE is very competitive, especially on the 787, as do-able for leisure trips when forking over $6K for J for a short trip isn't all that justifiable.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Yup, nice review, though he got one thing wrong IIRC:
Originally Posted by TPG.com
The Premium Plus cabin on the United 777-200 consisted of three rows laid out in a 2-4-2 configuration for a total of 24 seats. Additionally, this 777 had 50 Polaris seats and 202 in economy — a drop from the 242 coach seats in the two-cabin configuration.
Pretty sure, OK 99% certain this was a THREE class configuration with Int'l First.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yup, nice review, though he got one thing wrong IIRC:

Pretty sure, OK 99% certain this was a THREE class configuration with Int'l First.
Yep. So it was previously 221 Y seats, now 202. The 242 Y is 77W. Totally different aircraft; author's not familiar with UA fleet.

Otherwise I thought the review was unusually well done.
EmailKid, Xyzzy and SkiPremier like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. So it was previously 221 Y seats, now 202. The 242 Y is 77W. Totally different aircraft; author's not familiar with UA fleet.
I got the sense that the author was intending to state the current capacity of the plane, and was writing in the past tense because he was describing his experience. The paragraph starts with "The Premium Plus cabin on the United 777-200 consisted of three rows…," and that clearly isn't meant to imply that it no longer consists of them. Basically, I think "had" here meant "when I [the author] was on it," not "had at some point in the past." Or, if you will, the simple past tense, rather than past perfect tense ("had had").

UA's 77W has 306 Y seats, not 242. The 242 is the seat count for the reconfigured Polaris 772. In other words, the article is saying that they put 24 P+ seats in place of the 40 Y seats that they would have installed if they had done the two-cabin J/Y configuration instead of the three-cabin J/P+/Y configuration.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:05 am Reason: 242
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:30 am

Question United new Premium Plus - help please

Need expert advice! Looking to possibly try this EWR-BCN (Barcelona) on assigned 777-200 in May 2019. Need to buy tickets by end of Aug 2018 (for credit card sign up bonus).

Question: The seat maps right now don’t have Premium Plus as an option. What happens if I buy the ticket now and select a row that is supposed to eventually be Polaris or Premium Plus?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GuardMusic
Need expert advice! Looking to possibly try this EWR-BCN (Barcelona) on assigned 777-200 in May 2019. Need to buy tickets by end of Aug 2018 (for credit card sign up bonus).

Question: The seat maps right now don’t have Premium Plus as an option. What happens if I buy the ticket now and select a row that is supposed to eventually be Polaris or Premium Plus?
Most likely outcome: If you have an aircraft swap, your seats will probably be moved.

Second most likely outcome: You'll get the Premium Plus seat free of charge until United has a clear policy in place. Remember seat assignments are NOT guaranteed and United could just push you out of those seat assignments without recourse.

You won't get Polaris free of charge (I don't even think it's even possible for you to select an "Economy" seat in a row that's supposed to be "Polaris"). We all wish though!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think, by May 2019, UA will be selling Premium Plus as a distinct class of service, so if you select a row which becomes PP, but are booked in Economy or an E+ seat, you'll be reassigned to a seat that's actually in your ticketed class of service. Same goes for Polaris, and in cases of aircraft swaps, an algorithm is employed to reallocate seats based on original assignment... though it doesn't always generate favorable results.

EWR-BCN operated as a high-density 777 this summer, and shows the same 77H for next year, but I'm not certain that's actually going to be the case. Aircraft swaps and schedule changes this far out are likely.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:15 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
But the price differential is not really significant, not like it would be when they charge for PE and they are still not charging passengers who can have access to the Economy+ seats. And if I had to pay, I would be more likely to pay for seats in row 20 than row 41. I don't like being close to the toilets where there's a lot of traffic. Row 20 has little traffic since everybody has to go towards the back to the toilets.
Agreed. If I were a non-status passenger choosing to buy Y+ seating on a long-haul UA flight with Premium Economy, I think I would splurge for the PE seats.

Another data point:

UA803 / 30Jun / IAD-NRT
20F $239
30F $189
41F $189

For a long-haul flight like that, a $50 premium would be well worth it to me.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Agreed. If I were a non-status passenger choosing to buy Y+ seating on a long-haul UA flight with Premium Economy, I think I would splurge for the PE seats.

Another data point:

UA803 / 30Jun / IAD-NRT
20F $239
30F $189
41F $189

For a long-haul flight like that, a $50 premium would be well worth it to me.
With a seat map like that I would not choose 20F. How much do they want for 20K?

During the two years that I had to fly PE on BA, they had a really nice seat: the bulkhead seat that was alone. I managed to get it on all my flights.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I got the sense that the author was intending to state the current capacity of the plane, and was writing in the past tense because he was describing his experience. The paragraph starts with "The Premium Plus cabin on the United 777-200 consisted of three rows…," and that clearly isn't meant to imply that it no longer consists of them. Basically, I think "had" here meant "when I [the author] was on it," not "had at some point in the past." Or, if you will, the simple past tense, rather than past perfect tense ("had had").

UA's 77W has 306 Y seats, not 242. The 242 is the seat count for the reconfigured Polaris 772. In other words, the article is saying that they put 24 P+ seats in place of the 40 Y seats that they would have installed if they had done the two-cabin J/Y configuration instead of the three-cabin J/P+/Y configuration.
Good catch, so not quite as wrong, as that would be configuration IF it were NOT first PE bird.

Not touching the linguistics ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.