Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
I’m pretty confident that GPUs would still take you from Y/PE to C.. AA clarified that earlier this year when they launched their PE. UA won’t buck that trend! Now I’m also sure that upgrade priority will change for MP members who book PE and then upgrade to C vs. people booking W and trying to get to C.
I hope you are right. AA has reduced the number of systemwide upgrades for 100,000 mile elites to 4 in recent years while UA still gives 1Ks 6.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly18725
...There will be fewer E+ seats....
With fewer E+ seats, UA may have to adjust the free E+ for Premiers a bit. Move Golds to E+ seat selection to T-48, Plats at T-72, keep 1K and GS as is?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sbm12
Have you flown the DL Premium Select seat? It is absolutely wider than the 3-3-3 777 seats.
No because it is not in the SYD market. It is marketed as 18.5". I was referring to the former 2-5-2 layout of the 772 was 18.3, close to 18.5 my mistake. I have flown on CI 20" and very roomy with 2-3-2 on the A350. The width is as important as the pitch even though I am very underweight.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Published seat widths are almost meaningless because there's no standard for what to measure.

If UA introduces PE on the 78J, it will have to be 2-3-2. The A350 is the wildcard, where it seems like a majority of carriers have been trying to cram in a rather inadequate 2-4-2.

Every other widebody PE product I can think of is two seats fewer than the Y product, except maybe some 8-across 777s which haven't gone 10-across in Y yet.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
In addition to the PE announcement in the email; apologies if already known. PLEASE MOVE if not appropriate. Email from United included numerous changes

Improving travel technologyEnjoy enhanced travel tools and expanded entertainment.We know that top-notch digital technology provides a more convenient travel experience on the ground and in the air, so we'll continue investing in enhancements. In 2018, we'll debut important improvements to united.com and a new version of the United app, providing more features in our award-winning, easy-to-use format. And, we're adding free personal device entertainment to all flights currently equipped with DIRECTV® – which means all flights with at least 70 seats will have at least one free entertainment option available.

Last edited by sgfood; Jan 18, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by prestonh
No because it is not in the SYD market.
I'd be careful about writing a product off before sitting in it, especially based on seat width measurements that are decidedly not standardized in the industry.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd be careful about writing a product off before sitting in it, especially based on seat width measurements that are decidedly not standardized in the industry.
I didn't write it off. Please tell me how to fly on a product that is not offered in a market that I travel? Also, photos of people holding tape measures leave little to the imagination.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fgirard
Welp, I’m going to guess that cheap P fares on TPACs will no longer book into C, but rather PE.
I don't see this happening - P fares are for sale on NH and AC among others. If UA P fares book into PE, just buy a P fare that books into business on a partner.

I will say this - if GPUs book into PE instead of J, the usefulness of 1K pretty much disappears for almost everyone, but especially for folks who are buying the lower priced domestic F fares or upgrading for money after purchase vs waiting for CPUs that never happen.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:22 pm

More PE and J?

One thing to consider is their pending retirement of F on Intl flights. Can’t comment on space that cabin takes up but would assume that discontinuation will add loads of space back to cabin for PE and J?

Perhaps more seats available for the upgrading?

i still hope they don’t mess with E+ as its one of the few reasons I choose UA over day AC for intl itineraries
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
With fewer E+ seats, UA may have to adjust the free E+ for Premiers a bit. Move Golds to E+ seat selection to T-48, Plats at T-72, keep 1K and GS as is?
I wouldn't think that change is needed, there is more opportunity to sell upgrades from E to PE and PE to business.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
This is great news. UA has lost a number of TATL and TPAC's over the last few year from me, as I chose LH, LOT and AC with true PE products. With UA's horrible 777W 3-4-3 configuration, I have sworn never to fly that again, it is miserable. My company does not allow business, so it's economy or PE. I can survive in PE and arrive relatively refreshed. Jammed into a 17" seat for 14 hours to TLV on a 777W, I arrive a complete mess.

UA, roll it out quickly, please!
halls120 and escapefromphl like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is yet another example of how bad United's management is.

First, they should have introduced a new business-class when they launched the 787. They didn't.

Then, they launch Polaris but aircraft didn't have the seats for months. Even now, most of its planes won't have the "new" seats until at least 2021. Oh yeah, the much-hyped Polaris lounges are years behind schedule.

Now, they're launching a premium-economy product after retrofitting some planes with Polaris. What are they going to now? Re-retrofit the planes?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by findark
As to some of the "sky is falling" comments.. I don't see any reason to believe a PE cabin would be any different than it is on AA/DL/LH/etc. There is already a clearly established product level, market, and price for Premium Economy. Upgrade instruments on all of those carriers go from Y to J (for now).
AFAIK, AA still hasn't determined their long-term policy wrt how SWUs interact with PE (as you allude to). Heck, they don't even have PE bookable with miles yet! There's a general expectation that eventually SWUs will go from Y to PE rather than Y to J.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by milypan
AFAIK, AA still hasn't determined their long-term policy wrt how SWUs interact with PE (as you allude to). Heck, they don't even have PE bookable with miles yet! There's a general expectation that eventually SWUs will go from Y to PE rather than Y to J.
The makes sense. But the "P fares now book into PE" thing is completely absurd. Also I don't think it's the end of the world if it's Y -> PE for GPUs; certainly not the end of 1K. I don't have a lot of issues booking PE and waitlisting an upgrade to J, as long as it doesn't require an absurdly expensive fare for PE. The system and price point with LH E fares works great for me right now.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
To those who think PE is not a separate class of service, think again. It is totally a different class of service. The seats are different, the amenities are different, the food service is different. Probably the toilets will be shared but that will be it. The questions are:

1. Will UA permit double upgrades. Some airlines currently do but those who have had the product for years across their entire l/h fleet mostly don’t. I wouldn’t be surprised if UA starts out permitting double upgrades but changes after a few years.

2. Will E+ be dropped? In the fullness of time I am sure it will be. Only US airlines offer that sort of thing and none nearly as much as UA. And, in reality, it’s competition on many international routes is not another US airline but a foreign airline which doesn’t offer E+. I simply don’t see UA persisting with a differentiated product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.