Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
As someone who pays for J TATL, this excites me. I will pay to be up front on the way over- when sleep is important- and happily pay for the PE product on the return. Hoping their purchasing algorithms are similar to now, and don't push me into the same class both ways.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
I’d guess:
777: 2-4-2
787: 2-3-2
350: 2-3-2
My guess:
777: 3-3-3
787: 2-4-2
350: 2-4-2

Think of UA's PE as putting in the same number of seats across as the planes were originally designed for. In other words, just what Y was 15 years ago. I wouldn't lay stock on any of the advertising pictures.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
They do. The three button on the bulkhead and two buttons on the following rows makes it look like there won’t be a leg rest on any non-bulkhead row, but then you obviously see a leg rest on the second row.
LH is similar in that they have a leg rest in the first row and no leg rest in the other rows of PE. Sounds like other airlines have things like manual leg rests in some rows.

The conversion is going to depend on whether they change the number of C seats on a plane. I would think that if they are just removing Y seats, the conversion will be quicker than if they are removing C and Y seats for the PE section.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Something is off though.

Look at that photo. You see the AVOD Remote and then three buttons. One recline, one leg rest, and one to place it back, but then the seat behind only has two? What gives.
I meant United is plagiarizing Delta's style of staging photographs down to even the colors and filters. It's a clear copy.

My guess is these are just whatever seats the manufacturer had. They may not even be the same model.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I meant United is plagiarizing Delta's style of staging photographs down to even the colors and filters. It's a clear copy.

My guess is these are just whatever seats the manufacturer had. They may not even be the same model.
I'm pretty confident this is just a very high-quality rendering, most likely using the same software.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It will be interesting to see the ratio of PE seating. It is becoming a more popular product, with Norwegian only today announcing that they are increasing the size of their PE cabins, starting immediately.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I like the idea. I can pay (based on what DL charges from my home airport) $2000 for a R/T to China. A GPU failure means a very nice consolation prize of something better than a few more inches of legroom over a standard economy seat. I never have been a cheerleader for E+, since I am 6'0", but all torso with very wide shoulders, legroom isn't a big deal to me, but shoulder width is, and I simply cannot fly in long-haul Y if someone is next to me in a standard economy seat. This is exactly what I have been waiting for, even 3-4 inches of total left-to-right personal space will make ALL the difference in the world (if I can't get to J).

One thing I noticed as I was playing around with DL's PE product last night. Domestic segments book into a domstic first class seat. If UA is mapping their PE fares the same way, then wow--the value proposition is even higher. This could be a make or break for me if it does indeed book into an F class seat.
This will be an interesting development. DL PE books into domestic F whereas AA PE does not. As a non-hub flyer, especially for connecting flights to Asia, it's nice to have a seat up front to connect on as opposed to a seat in the back.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Why do I have the feeling that the day I can read FT in the new Polaris Club in IAD it will have a thread on the slow rollout of these PE seats. Obviously, they feel the competition with international carriers with true PE, like AF and BA, which are both quite nice, and acceptable on the return TATLs where you will not be sleeping. However, I will worry about the impact of this once it happens, which will undoubtedly not be for a long time. I think, given UA marketing's past history of overpromising and slow rollouts, these kinds of emails tend to annoy a lot of people.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12

The woman in the white shirt looks like she's having a conversation with Claude Rains
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goalie
The woman in the white shirt looks like she's having a conversation with Claude Rains
Why do the passengers on those pictures always look happier than the passenger in the seat next to me? The three of them are smiling and I get the grumpy ones. Or maybe I would also be smiling like that if I won the lottery and got no neighbor.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Does anyone have any idea if this is the actual seat UA is using? It appears to be the exact same seat that Delta is using on the A350 (in 2-4-2), which looks like this (from DL's web-site:

If so, it is going to be narrow ( since the 787 is 4.3" narrower, each seat would lose .5" in width) given that the Delta seats are already on the narrow wide for PE.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Going by what other airlines are doing, there likely won't be lounge access solely on the basis of a PE ticket. That makes sense to me, because PE is still economy, and it further differentiates the J product. Perhaps, like CX, lounge access will be offered as an a la carte purchase.
CX gives lounge access on PE tickets, or at least gave it to use a few weeks ago... I don't have status on OneWorld, so 100% sure I got it due to having PE seats.

Originally Posted by halls120
They should do this, and it is a long overdue improvement, one that I am looking forward to. That said, I understand other posters suspicions, because it looks like the only aircraft we will see premium economy on over the next 18 months are the new 787-10. It seems to me that if they’re going to go to the trouble of modifying the 772 with Polaris, it would make sense to add premium economy seats at the same time. Especially given that they are going 10 wide in economy.

If Oscar and Scott believe that I’m going to fly TATL or TPAC in 10 wide economy with no option for premium economy, they are sadly mistaken. They need to get premium economy installed at the same time as they densify the rest of the Y cabin, or I will continue to direct my business elsewhere.
+1. Very glad that UA is announcing this, curious to see how they implement it, but until it shows up on the 789/77Ws I am seeing ex-SFO, I will continue to book other airlines that offer PE or a decent Y. United has to win back my business at this point.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Why do I have the feeling that the day I can read FT in the new Polaris Club in IAD it will have a thread on the slow rollout of these PE seats. Obviously, they feel the competition with international carriers with true PE, like AF and BA, which are both quite nice, and acceptable on the return TATLs where you will not be sleeping. However, I will worry about the impact of this once it happens, which will undoubtedly not be for a long time. I think, given UA marketing's past history of overpromising and slow rollouts, these kinds of emails tend to annoy a lot of people.
lets home you are wrong, but I suspect you are right.

Last edited by spin88; Jan 19, 2018 at 10:18 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Why do the passengers on those pictures always look happier than the passenger in the seat next to me? The three of them are smiling and I get the grumpy ones. Or maybe I would also be smiling like that if I won the lottery and got no neighbor.
Yeah, you have a point.

Take a look at the woman in the Polaris Lounge, she looks way way too happy to be buttering that bagel.

But it gets worse. Take a look at that woman in the background of the UA Club bar.

She’s so excited to be having a conversation that she turned her seat around to talk to the guy. (Both of whom conveniently have little to no luggage).

This goes to the overall point that you can’t look too deep into these photos, they are all corporate shots that are made to be perfect.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by goalie
It actually kind of looks like an upgraded LH domestic business class, where it's the normal seat, with a guarantee that nobody sits next to you.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
hopefully the pre meal hot towel service returns with PE. I miss that in E+
Is it just me or has anybody else not seen any warm nuts going around lately?

Originally Posted by airzim
One positive, is this might allow MP redemption for Premium Econ on other Star Partners, LH, NH, SQ, NZ?
Nobody's mentioned Air Canada so far? What's with their attempt at PE? It's a worthless joke. At least, it seems that they've gotten rid of the IFE controls on the arm rest. Every time you put your arm down on the arm rest, the IFE goes beserk.

I get upgraded on Air Canada, LH and NZ domestic flights regularly. Air Canada's domestic "first class" is nice. NZ's domestic upgrade looks like E+ with flight attendants that are always a lot more chipper.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yeah, you have a point.
Take a look at the woman in the Polaris Lounge, she looks way way too happy to be buttering that bagel.
But it gets worse. Take a look at that woman in the background of the UA Club bar.
She’s so excited to be having a conversation that she turned her seat around to talk to the guy. (Both of whom conveniently have little to no luggage).
This goes to the overall point that you can’t look too deep into these photos, they are all corporate shots that are made to be perfect.
They are all smiling like idiots! Can't stop laughing.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
CX gives lounge access on PE tickets, or at least gave it to use a few weeks ago... I don't have status on OneWorld, so 100% sure I got it due to having PE seats.
CX does not give lounge access for just Premium Economy tickets. Sometimes lounge access is given as a service recovery tool or marketing initiative. What was the route you took a few weeks ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.