Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
You're correct it will never happen. Also, I'll dispute "dreaded" on that. I love the 752 TATL.

I used to be a staunch defender of the 752, in business class, as it was similar to the "private cabin" feel of a 747 UD (though without the side bins for storage and the shelf).
In Y, I suppose I'd prefer a 752 over a 777 in 3-4-3 configuration, but otherwise the 752 doesn't have much to offer and the seats are pretty narrow.
In J, I guess if you're a UA flyer then the J seats are at least as good as anything else you can get on UA, except the [three] planes with the new Polaris. (I guess you could argue the sCO 777/767 have some direct aisle access seats and are a little better).
But as a DL/AA flyer, things have changed. I'd much rather be on any other aircraft but the 752 (and they both have them with the same seats as UA), as all their other types have direct aisle access in J. That to me is the most important thing.

But yeah, I guess we won't be seeing true PE on a 757...
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geometry
UA has quite a few narrowbody 757s on TATL routes.... I know this will never happen, but premium economy in 2-3 configuration, even with 35-inch pitch, can make the dreaded narrowbody TATL somewhat bearable?
I have always equated PE to domestic F - maybe a little narrower but actually slightly better pitch. So, I would think if any airline would introduce PE on narrow bodies, it would be 2-2.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
That to me is the most important thing.To each their
To each their own. On flights between NYC and Europe I really, really don't care about the direct aisle access. East bound I get on board, take my window seat, fall asleep and wake up in Europe. I don't care about the person next to me because they have zero impact on my trip. Westbound we're usually both awake anyways and even if not I can step over their legs without bumping them. Done it many, many times. Added bonus is that when flying with my wife we can actually sit next to each other and still have a window.
Originally Posted by username
I have always equated PE to domestic F - maybe a little narrower but actually slightly better pitch. So, I would think if any airline would introduce PE on narrow bodies, it would be 2-2.
Also because the 2-3 layout would do strange things with the aisle if it really is going to be better seat width. A 2-2 PremY product could work but with the way the J seats stagger you don't get a ton more density so the value proposition to the airline probably isn't as great.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1k
True that the spread is small ($5 then is ~$14 now) but the fact that the base fare was the equivalent of $400+ o/w for a transcon is interesting. The "Red" first class fare would be only ~$450 today, a price most folks here would rush to pay for.
Wasn’t this 40 years ago? If so then inflation adjusted it was more than $600!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
The "Red" first class fare would be only ~$450 today, a price most folks here would rush to pay for.
Originally Posted by polarbears

Think higher! In fact the site claims the ad is from 54 years ago, in 1964. $160 in 1964 dollars is equivalent to over $1,200 today.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1964-do...018?amount=160

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Feb 16, 2018 at 2:10 pm Reason: Changed to an easier-to-use inflation calculator
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by polarbears

I used 1978 - 40 years ago - but misread the page. I used the price difference number, not the top line. Oopsie.

$160 in 1978 ? 2018 | Inflation Calculator
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

I used 1978 - 40 years ago - but misread the page. I used the price difference number, not the top line. Oopsie.

$160 in 1978 ? 2018 Inflation Calculator
That's a much better calculator website! I'll change the link in my post now.

Also reminds us just how much inflation there was between 1964 and 1978! Here's hoping we never see that again.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
That's a much better calculator website! I'll change the link in my post now.

Also reminds us just how much inflation there was between 1964 and 1978! Here's hoping we never see that again.
but that reflects the inflation of the dollar.... hasn't the cost associated with air travel gone down dramatically since the 1960s?

I am getting real old... when I was a kid, I remember getting on my very first flight and the majority of passengers were wearing suits and dresses, as if they were going to church on Sunday. (not to mention that the in-flight dinners were almost restaurant-quality)
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

.... hasn't the cost associated with air travel gone down dramatically since the 1960s?
It has. It was DL who introduced the low FC domestic fares that AA and UA followed (WN not so much ) Over a decade ago, but the spread between coach and FC on domestic used to be much higher.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:42 am

but that reflects the inflation of the dollar.... hasn't the cost associated with air travel gone down dramatically since the 1960s?
Do you mean cost or price? If you're wondering whether the airlines' costs have declined over the decades, much of that has to do with the price of oil. The airlines have also cut their cost per passenger by eliminating things like meals in coach and good meals in FC.

If you mean consumer price, then yes, air travel in real dollars is cheaper than ever -- both in coach and up front. In a few days I'm flying B6 Mint SFO>BOS in a suite with a door for $399. Gotta love it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...oticed/273506/
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:13 am

Do you mean cost or price? If you're wondering whether the airlines' costs have declined over the decades, much of that has to do with the price of oil. The airlines have also cut their cost per passenger by eliminating things like meals in coach and good meals in FC.
And putting more seats on the planes.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:29 am

turning what used to be a pleasant experience into to something to be avoided.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Technically that adds to revenue rather than reducing cost, which is why I didn't mention it, but I see what you were getting at.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:00 am

Technically that adds to revenue rather than reducing cost, which is why I didn't mention it, but I see what you were getting at.
Absolutely reduces CASM.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Absolutely reduces CASM.
Amazon.com Airline... I would gladly pay $1,000 yearly membership to join. Can't be any worse than today's sorry excuses for U.S. domestic airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.