Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dilanesp

1. PE is a lot better than Y or E+, even in an exit row. It is like domestic first.

Not sure about the latter. Most US domestic first seats I have seen are wider than international carrier premium economy seats and many domestic first seats are as wide or wider than C seats. United being what it is will likely try and get 8 or even 9 PE seats across in a 777 or 787 - after all they achieved 8 across in C.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Here’s the full announcement on the United Hub:

Every day we have the privilege of helping unite the world by connecting people to the moments that matter most — and we know that getting you where you need to be safely, comfortably and on time is important. That's why we're proud of our record operational performance in 2017. We were honored to fly more than 148 million customers last year while achieving the most on-time departures and the fewest cancellations in our history.

Our commitment to delivering best-in-class operational performance remains as strong as ever, and we're excited to tell you about major investments we're making this year.

Adding new destinations and routes

We're growing our network internationally and in the U.S.*

We're thrilled to continue growing our international network with new nonstop flights to exciting destinations such as Papeete, Tahiti; Reykjavik, Iceland; and Porto, Portugal. We're also improving our domestic schedules and connecting more cities to give you extra options and better access to a wider range of destinations. View all our
new routes for 2018.

Introducing United® Premium Plus

International premium economy is coming.

Later this year, we'll begin to introduce United's Premium Plus. Available on select international flights, United® Premium Plus will give you more space, comfort and amenities. The seats will be more spacious and you'll enjoy upgraded dining on china dinnerware, free alcoholic beverages, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow, an amenity kit and more.

Improving travel technology

Enjoy enhanced travel tools and expanded entertainment.

We know that top-notch digital technology provides a more convenient travel experience on the ground and in the air, so we'll continue investing in enhancements. In 2018, we'll debut important improvements to united.com and a new version of the United app, providing more features in our award-winning, easy-to-use format. And, we're adding free
personal device entertainment to all flights currently equipped with DIRECTV® — which means all flights with at least 70 seats will have at least one free entertainment option available.

Enhancing your Wi-Fi experience

We're giving you faster and more reliable inflight Wi-Fi.

We recognize the need for faster and more reliable inflight Wi-Fi, so we're making this a priority. We've started upgrading the hardware and software on board our aircraft to increase the internet bandwidth available and more seamlessly transition between satellites, which means fewer gaps in coverage and fewer connection drops. On the first ten aircraft with the new technology, our customers were able to consume 40% more data than before. As we look to the future, we're finalizing our plans for next-generation satellite Wi-Fi that will have even more bandwidth, allowing customers to stream video in flight.

Bringing you United Polaris®

More United Polaris seats and lounges will be available.

This year, we'll be introducing more of the new, all-aisle-access seats in United Polaris business class. We're also opening United Polaris lounges in San Francisco, New York/Newark and Houston Intercontinental this summer, and in Los Angeles this fall. In all of these lounges, plus the recently expanded lounge in Chicago O'Hare, United Polaris customers will enjoy high-end shower suites, rest pods with day beds, and preflight dining. United is the only U.S. airline to offer a full preflight dining room for its business class customers.

Modernizing United Club℠ locations

We're refreshing and overhauling our spaces throughout the U.S.

We've been working hard on our United Club locations, with refreshed or entirely overhauled locations opening in Chicago O'Hare (at Gate C16), Dallas/Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Houston Intercontinental, New York LaGuardia and San Francisco in 2018. Plus, with renovations at additional locations, United Club spaces will be better than ever.

We look forward to telling you more about these initiatives and others in the months ahead. On behalf of all 90,000 United team members, thank you for choosing to fly with us. We value your loyalty and remain committed to being the best airline for you.

Sincerely,

Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines and Scott Kirby, President of United Airlines
Isn't that one of the actual bar tenders at SFO?

(Does that mean the others in the photo are real passengers, and that it's depicting their expected typical usage? )
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by fumje

(Does that mean the others in the photo are real passengers, and that it's depicting their expected typical usage? )
I’d like to see those Polaris style ramekin’s in the United Club.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
United is totally plagiarizing Delta's photography.
Huh?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
In my eyes, being able to book PE and use a GPU to J is a major upgrade. If the GPU doesn't clear I get a much better seat in PE.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike2003242
In my eyes, being able to book PE and use a GPU to J is a major upgrade. If the GPU doesn't clear I get a much better seat in PE.
Are you going to be paying for a W fare to sit in PE or something higher on the scale?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting so many posts are negative (as usual) when there are so many posts over the years about a lack of Premium Economy.........
I know! There is nothing bad that comes out of P+, and now you get the ability to get lifetime miles while flying a premium economy product. The second UA starts putting it TATL, I’ll be routing almost all my traffic to that flight.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
They do. The three button on the bulkhead and two buttons on the following rows makes it look like there won’t be a leg rest on any non-bulkhead row, but then you obviously see a leg rest on the second row.

EDIT:

I shouldn’t be looking into this rendering too much, but what plane is this?

It’s not a 777-300 because that has air vents, it’s not a 787 because of the windows. Heck, it kind of looks like the 767-400 ER.
Two buttons would indicate a legrest but no footrest.

Looks like a 777-300 to me.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by mapu
Coming can an UA aircraft near you in 2028!

This doesn't make sense lol
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I don't believe either DL or AA offer top-tier elites free Premium Economy seating. I know NH does for their Diamond members. Hoping UA follows NH here...
Comp PE upgrades for GS is interesting.

Woukd be tough to re qualify for GS flying mostly PE fares so would get used on a few leisure trips a year - good optics, still incentive to pay for J.

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Yes - I’ve seen him at the 60s gate club. I doubt they’d use actual passengers’ photos w/o releases.

edit - now that I look at picture closer, that IS the club near the 60s gates.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:41 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"that poor woman’s legs are just dangling."

No. I have a very good monitor and that woman's legs are supported a black, apparently full-width, support. How far she can raise them is the question. The shadows make it hard to see". Try playing with the contrast on your monitor. On the plus side, it appears that the armrests (on the outside at least) can go down, providing a feeling of expanded space.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Something is off though.

Look at that photo. You see the AVOD Remote and then three buttons. One recline, one leg rest, and one to place it back, but then the seat behind only has two? What gives.
These could be mockups with different potential layouts.

Highly unlikely there is an actual configured aircraft -- you would first have studio mockups for testing.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
These could be mockups with different potential layouts.

Highly unlikely there is an actual configured aircraft -- you would first have studio mockups for testing.
Oh of course, but you’d think they’d make the renderings as accurate as possible. This is a major airlines with a very loyal and particular following. I could compile a list of five errors with the rendering, which shouldn’t be the case.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you going to be paying for a W fare to sit in PE or something higher on the scale?
We don't yet know what the structure will look like, but a well educated guess is that PE fares will start in the same range as a W, perhaps a bit higher, with the cheapest ones not being upgradeable. So there will probably be a premium to a W to buy an upgradeable PE fare. Very similar to the current LH fare structure in the context of GPU upgrades.

I do think this will take some of the pain out of waitlisting, especially for 77W operated flights, where currently the difference between clearing and not clearing is UA's best mainline seat vs. its worst mainline seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.