Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
It does not look much wider than 18.5" seat, similar to DL which is too narrow for my preference and really the same as the old 777 E seat width. AA has 19", NZ 19.3, EVA has 19.5, CI 20. If it is 19" then they have a chance, otherwise it is going to be a cramped product.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Doubt GPU usage would change

I’m pretty confident that GPUs would still take you from Y/PE to C.. AA clarified that earlier this year when they launched their PE. UA won’t buck that trend! Now I’m also sure that upgrade priority will change for MP members who book PE and then upgrade to C vs. people booking W and trying to get to C.
NoDestinations likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As to some of the "sky is falling" comments.. I don't see any reason to believe a PE cabin would be any different than it is on AA/DL/LH/etc. There is already a clearly established product level, market, and price for Premium Economy. Upgrade instruments on all of those carriers go from Y to J (for now). I fully expect this to be a source of $1,xxx sale fares and $2,xxx regular fares to cross oceans while being treated like a human again (sort of like Y back when you had decent seat pitch, respectable service, and empty middles were basically guaranteed).

At a minimum, this would mean being able to book UA metal and waitlist a GPU, something I am absolutely unwilling to do right now.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm guessing that UA is targeting business travelers who aren't allowed to purchase J, as opposed to leisure travelers who can't justify the cost.
Yes.. and I think it's a nine or ten figure gamble they're taking as to whether companies currently paying for J will jump ship. However, I still think there's such a strong argument for "make me sleep, give me a bed".
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mp2
I also hope they let United MileagePlus redemptions into Premium Economy on other airlines. The seat looks similar to the one from SingaporeAirlines. Got an email from United too.
Care to share the email? I have not seen it yet.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've always been on the fence about whether I wanted PE. Currently, I tend to favor good P fares on Intl. flights. I suspect those P fares become PE and now business class is unreachable for me. I also suspect that the PE seats replace E+. Since I won't sit in E- for a 10 hour flight, that likely means I'm now paying the same I paid for business before and only getting PE.

I'll wait to see how it's implemented, but if my guesses are accurate, it will probably make me a free agent for Intl flights (which are all personal/vacation for me).
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by prestonh
It does not look much wider than 18.5" seat, similar to DL which is too narrow for my preference and really the same as the old 777 E seat width.
Have you flown the DL Premium Select seat? It is absolutely wider than the 3-3-3 777 seats.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I can't recall. When are the first 787-10s supposed to be in service with United?
Later this year.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
I’m pretty confident that GPUs would still take you from Y/PE to C.. AA clarified that earlier this year when they launched their PE. UA won’t buck that trend! Now I’m also sure that upgrade priority will change for MP members who book PE and then upgrade to C vs. people booking W and trying to get to C.
The hiccup I see with upgrades is the potential loss of J seats. Fewer J seats means less to go around. UA is already far and away the most J-heavy of the US3. I don't see those large J cabins staying with PE. That makes everything from upgrades to awards more difficult.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Unfortunately I expect a loss of J and E+ seats and J upgrade availability with this if AA's and DL's configurations are any clue. It's part of why I'm not a big PE fan. I'm not in the niche that wants it, and instead I'm part of the group that has loses out on the J/Y side.
Same here - I prefer the spoiled inventory opportunities larger J and E+ cabins provided, which is what value seekers like. It was inevitable - but let's see if they keep it off the 767s / shorter haul frames.

Let's see if they go more the BA approach - keep the biz class density, take it out of coach. But I suspect it will be more like AA/DL which is a net loss of lie flat seats, and extra legroom economy seats, which makes upgrades and discount fares harder to come by.

It's a net benefit for the inflexible fliers who can't get into J for work and need something a little more palatable.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Since the 777's have yet to go into mod (or maybe the first one just went in), I wonder if it's perfect timing to get these seats installed in tandem with the Polaris seats?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70

It’s the introduction of business class - all over again!
Exactly my thought too-late 1980s Business Class. In a few years Premium Economy will be lie-flat seats and Business Class will be private suites. First Class will be private jet.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I've always been on the fence about whether I wanted PE. Currently, I tend to favor good P fares on Intl. flights. I suspect those P fares become PE and now business class is unreachable for me. I also suspect that the PE seats replace E+. Since I won't sit in E- for a 10 hour flight, that likely means I'm now paying the same I paid for business before and only getting PE.
I'm not saying that P inventory might not dry up a bit, but I don't think you'll see P+ at current P fare prices. UA will, more or less, match their competition. I just threw random dates of April 4 - April 12 into Google Flights and here's a selection of roundtrip fares:

SFO-LHR: $980
SFO-BCN: $933
SFO-CPH: $838
SFO-HKG: $1185
SFO-SIN: $1248
LAX-BKK: $1365
LAX-SYD: $1793
DFW-MUC: $1655
DFW-NRT: $2023
DFW-PEK: $1150

If those are the P fares you're seeing, well, pass them along when you find them, would you?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
During the two years that I flew with BA, I did enjoy their Premium Economy. I know I can survive on long haul flights in Premium Economy. When it comes to UA, I will make use of it when Polaris Business is too expensive. Because, at this point, in UA's Economy on long haul flights, I can only survive in the bulkhead or exit seats and there are not too many of those.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
This is great news! Almost all my recent TATL travel has been going to AC because of their Prem Y product which nets me 150% Miles. Now I will be able to bring some back to UA.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
This, sadly. You'll be able to "upgrade" to PE. Or book a full-fare PE ticket (probably Y/B/M/H?) and upgrade to Polaris.
If GPUs become only good for upgrade from Y to PE, or if it takes 2 GPUs to upgrade from Y to C, then 1K status is no longer attractive to me.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I'm with a few others who see the Polaris product as the premium offering, and PE as a pseudo-biz. Let's face it, United has pretty much given up on the idea of promoting a real F product; everything's going into Polaris. If you didn't know any better, you'd assume Polaris was United's best offering (and maybe it is?). Why name your best offering something associated with middle-of-the-road (business) on a true 3-class aircraft?

Wonder what the lounge access situation will be? And of course, mostly I'm wondering about what it will take to upgrade. For me, my usual SFO-CDG trip would be far more tolerable in PE than E+. If they offer an upgrade with just miles, no cash, I'm in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.