Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Since I don't see them reducing the Polaris footprint, that means fewer E+. On a long haul bird, I'm fine with that, although I recognize that I'm in the minority here.
i think they will want more seats on board rather than fewer. Plus they have to consider 2-4 P+ seat bookings are at risk to be filled via a downsell from Polaris. And adjust Polaris capacity accordingly.

It isn’t realistic to assume 100% of P+ bookings will be upsells from Y.

it will make GPUs more difficult, which for UA is probably a feature not a bug.

i too believe they will keep a reasonable size E+ cabin as those are easy margin boosters via E+ upgrades at $100-$200
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by geometry
guess it was only BR... only took them once last year....
BR upgrades from Y,B (economy) and K (Premium economy) into Z (business). I believe this is similar to most of the other Star Alliance carriers.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
since some Star Alliance airlines with premium economy do not allow double upgrades from regular E to business class, is it safe to assume that UA will probably do the same?

Only those with premium economy tickets can upgrade with miles+copay or SWU to upgrade to Polaris? (no double upgrade directly from regular economy to Polaris)
Any sense of when UA will stop keeping us in the dark about this?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Even then it can vary. I was looking at SFO/SJC-BKK and PE on NH was about $2250 and BR was about $1400.
Just random data point looking at flights for Songkran.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

Hence why I always try flying BR for Songkran wooo!
And to think, expats in Thailand are looking for flights to get AWAY from Songkran
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
what's the hurry? don't you want to give UA bean counters as much time as possible to figure out how to maximize profit from the new premium economy class?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
what's the hurry? don't you want to give UA bean counters as much time as possible to figure out how to maximize profit from the new premium economy class?
Seriously. UA has made some improvements on their PR strategy but they continue to deliver half-baked announcements that leave their more loyal flyers (at least temporarily) in the dark.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seriously. UA has made some improvements on their PR strategy but they continue to deliver half-baked announcements that leave their more loyal flyers (at least temporarily) in the dark.
UA needs more than just PR help, they need marketing help as well.
seanp7, artvandalay and DCEsquire like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by east_west
BR upgrades from Y,B (economy) and K (Premium economy) into Z (business). I believe this is similar to most of the other Star Alliance carriers.
It gets complicated. On LH, I think that you can do Y->PE or Y->, but I don't think that you can do PE->C after you have already upgraded Y->PE. Thus, you can't do a "double-upgrade" as in upgrade twice, but you can do a "double class upgrade" as in skip PE when going from Y to C.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by prestonh

Originally Posted by halls120
Given that UA's E+ is currently larger than AA's MCE and DL's Comfort +, my bet is that several rows of E+ are sacrificed.
UA is been moving towards 1/3 E+; 2/3 E-, or a touch less. Do you mean beyond that?

As for the 772, presumably they would put PE in the front of the economy cabin and probably make the rest of the cabin E+. Not sure what kind of divider they'd use - presumably not a full bulkhead though (although if the seats are the shell type that creates an effective bulkhead.)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh
I have no specific insight, but it seems like fit would be to have Premium E where E+ currently is and move E+ to the remaining area in front of exits 3L/R

Another rough thought: but would be to put the Premium E in pairs on the windows, but the middle 5 stay as E+ (yes, could be awkward when Premium is served food meals different from E+... but hey... just kicking it around).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I have no specific insight, but it seems like fit would be to have Premium E where E+ currently is and move E+ to the remaining area in front of exits 3L/R
I think that's way more P+ seats than I'd expect to see. The area on the 77W that people seem to think is predestined to be P+ after some future retrofit is something like 4 rows in size (would be 3 rows of P+).

Keep in mind, UA densified in the first place because they found that people were willing to put up with very tight quarters for a sufficiently low fare. If there were an incredible, pent-up demand for higher-priced economy seats in exchange for more room, they never would have gone 10-abreast in the first place. They would just have raised prices and said "fly us because we're only 9 across." I don't think we're going to see massive P+ cabins. I think it'll be a handful of rows, which is in line with the way its offered on other carriers.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
What an industry leader.

Horrible news.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
AA announced their PE product in December 2015, and they still haven't clarified what their long-term plan is for how SWUs will interact with PE, nor have they made PE bookable with award tickets yet. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
the new PE seats will have devices built in to deliver a non-lethal static shock to get passengers out of their seats. (in case UA crewmembers need the seats for deadheading and the passenger already in the seat refuses to stand up)

I've seen people upgrade themselves from E- to E+ on ORD-NRT flights. I thought the flight attendants were supposed to charge them the self-upgrade fee... but I've never see it happen. Although I have seen people being asked bluntly to"move back to your seat, SIR!"

I wonder if people will attempt to self-upgrade from regular E to PE on UA in the future?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Great news. I have been flying LH to Europe in PE and love it.Would have flown United if they had it. Also have lotsof miles . Unable to book LF PE through United website so I paid for it. I know the was a convulated way but choose not to go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.