What can I expect LAS-IAH-SYD in J

Old Jan 17, 18, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
What can I expect LAS-IAH-SYD in J

Wondering a few things about our upcoming flight. Booked award ticket from LAS-IAH-SYD with E from LAS to IAH and then J from IAH to SYD. Currently on waitlist for First from LAS-IAH as I already used the points but first was not available at booking. Been on wait list for about 6 months so not very hopeful on the wait list clearing.

Can I use the United Club in LAS with our LAS-IAH in E (Status Gold)?

Is there a J lounge in IAH ( 5 hour layover)?

We are on a B787 from IAH to SYD. Will there be pajamas, bed pads, gel pillows on the 17 flight?

Thanks for any info. Have not travelled international J since the new Polaris product.

Last edited by wvactions; Jan 17, 18 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by wvactions View Post
Can I use the United Club in LAS with our LAS-IAH in E (Status Gold)?

Is there a J lounge in IAH ( 5 hour layover)?

We are on a B787 from IAH to SYD. Will there be pajamas, bed pads, gel pillows on the 17 flight?
Yes to all three (counting the United Club as J lounge; there is still no Polaris lounge anywhere except ORD).
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Additionally in IAH, if you have a Priority Pass or Diners Club card, you can use the KLM lounge, it's much smaller than the UA Club but is rarely ever crowded and I find it to be much more peaceful. There is also a Centurion Club in the same area if you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card.
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would regularly check to see if connections via lax/sfo become @available

Last edited by zrs70; Jan 18, 18 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
I would regularly check to see if connections via lax/sfo become @vailBle.
why?
For the ground experience at SFO? Disastrous...
For the ground experience at LAX? *G lounge is excellent, but quite a walk and the OP will need a long(er) layover. UC? Ok, it's nicer.

Not sure I see the rationale for this, why would you move from IAH connection to LAX/SFO?
Old Jan 18, 18, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
why?
For the ground experience at LAX? *G lounge is excellent, but quite a walk and the OP will need a long(er) layover. UC? Ok, it's nicer.

Not sure I see the rationale for this, why would you move from IAH connection to LAX/SFO?
I dunno... Perhaps it has to do with saving around 2000 miles in flying, or shortening the 5 hour IAH connection to something a bit more tolerable? I would immaine that a LAS-LAX/SFO-SYD connection might shave 8 hours off the journey.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

I dunno... Perhaps it has to do with saving around 2000 miles in flying, or shortening the 5 hour IAH connection to something a bit more tolerable? I would immaine that a LAS-LAX/SFO-SYD connection might shave 8 hours off the journey.

Ahh. gotcha. Didn't really know the angle in why you were suggesting a change. In that case, go LAX. SFO in winter, with Karl and inclement weather, can turn into a nightmare with a connection, and most people would suggest just as long a layover into SFO to avoid delays. So the OP really wouldn't save any more time than connecting at IAH unless he was a risk taker. LAX just has gate issues that appear to be better, so that's what I would recommend of the two.
Oh and unless the OP needs PQM for flying J lol. Then go IAH. 2xPQM bonus.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
oh and unless the OP needs PQM for flying J lol. Then go IAH. 2xPQM bonus.
Originally Posted by wvactions View Post
Booked award ticket from LAS-IAH-SYD with E from LAS to IAH and then J from IAH to SYD.
Old Jan 18, 18, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
why?

Agree completely. IAH is a much more reliable airport than either LAX or SFO. SFO particularly sees misconnects on the SYD flights all the time due to ATC.

I would immaine that a LAS-LAX/SFO-SYD connection might shave 8 hours off the journey.
That's a pretty serious exaggeration. It's 4 hours flight time, and that's not taking into account the extra cushion you need at SFO/LAX. Plus if you miss at SFO (ATC) or LAX (no gate), you get to overnight at the airport. How is that better?
Old Jan 18, 18, 10:30 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agree completely. IAH is a much more reliable airport than either LAX or SFO. SFO particularly sees misconnects on the SYD flights all the time due to ATC.
Plus, IAH-SYD over LAX/SFO-SYD means more time to enjoy the J seat.
Old Jan 18, 18, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

That's a pretty serious exaggeration. It's 4 hours flight time, and that's not taking into account the extra cushion you need at SFO/LAX. Plus if you miss at SFO (ATC) or LAX (no gate), you get to overnight at the airport. How is that better?
I believe the OP mentioned a 5 hours connection at IAH, so I factored that in. Itís a long enough journey to SYD from the west coast. I guess Iíve been blissfully unharmed by LAX/SFO misfortunes!
Old Jan 18, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Additionally in IAH, if you have a Priority Pass or Diners Club card, you can use the KLM lounge, it's much smaller than the UA Club but is rarely ever crowded and I find it to be much more peaceful. There is also a Centurion Club in the same area if you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card.
I prefer the AF lounge to the KLM one, mostly for the free champagne (which KLM does not have).