Wiki Posts
Search

Extending a "stopover" beyond 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Extending a "stopover" beyond 24 hours

Hi everyone,

I booked a business award flight from Krabi, Thailand to Chicago with a 22 hour connection in Bangkok and a 21 hour connection in Taipei for 80k United miles (predevaluation). I wanted to spend some time in Taipei, but I didn't have enough miles to justify paying more for a stopover. After I check in and fly my Krabi segment, assuming that there's availability and that Thai agrees to let me go on an earlier flight, would it be possible for me stop by the Thai counter in BKK and ask to be put on an earlier flight even if it's going to break the 24 hour layover rule? Thanks!

Last edited by petey2428; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:41 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Award rules are based on the issuing program, UA in this case, not the operating airline.

As to if TG will allow you to change/standby for an itin change. Generally, only the issuing program can make a change of an award ticket.
Additionally, the concept of standby or free changes like SDC are very unusual / out of the norm for non-North American airlines.

So I think you will have difficulties with this request.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:54 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Is your ORD flight any time in the next day? See the Chicago weather waiver.

Otherwise, agreed, this is a tough change to try to do for free.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I've had limited success in changing flights once they are in play... given that you are on an award ticket with different carriers makes it a bit of a challenge.

Although technically once under airport control, the agent has much more leeway. It may be worth a shot, but knowing full well you will likely be unsuccessful.

If you rather cut your time in BKK short and just hang out at the airport if you fail to get on earlier flight, no harm.

I presume you won't have your TPE-ORD segment cancelled over a change, though I can't say with any certainty.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Award rules are based on the issuing program, UA in this case, not the operating airline.

As to if TG will allow you to change/standby for an itin change. Generally, only the issuing program can make a change of an award ticket.
Additionally, the concept of standby or free changes like SDC are very unusual / out of the norm for non-North American airlines.

So I think you will have difficulties with this request.
I agree.
Especially for an internation segment (BKK-TPE in this case), I doubt that standby/free changes would be allowed for airline companies in Asisa (TG in this case) - I think this is more problematic than 24hr stopover rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.