Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Got angry at another passenger, FA reported me to pilots. Now what?

Got angry at another passenger, FA reported me to pilots. Now what?

Old Jan 18, 18, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by dgdevil View Post
No way would I inflict a child on the universe or my fellow fliers.
But you inflicted yourself on the other passengers and the FAs. The baby does not know better - You do!
Grog, tuolumne, Jeannietx and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
Yep, if you're a parent you'll know that it's very normal to have a baby screaming for the entire flight... /s
as a parent not long ago i used pacifiers, ipads and children benadryl to avoid this..

However i see countless parents who refuse to do that out of principle - "oh we dont use pacifiers! We dont want kids to watch ipads at early age!" etc etc..
Unfirtunaty some (not many ime) parents are flat out not considerate
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by airzim View Post
Sorry but 100% disagree. This is never OK, not even at the lowest volumes. Either headphones or the volume is off. No exceptions. I'm shocked that anyone thinks this is OK, because it completely disregards anyone else's feelings for the sake of one person's enjoyment. Kids under 2 tend to not need volume anyway; the visual stimulation is often just enough. Alternatively they sell children appropriate headphones with low volumes and more comfortable padding for young ears.

I'm often appalled by the lack of civility of parents (and adults) who think this is OK. I don't care if it is speaker phone conference calls in the lounge, kids playing video games with volume up, or music/video blasting from a device, you are infringing on other people's peace and quiet. It's common courtesy and just because the iPad was invented, doesn't toss out 100s of years of decorum rules for governing collective behavior.

The secondary point to emphasize, is if everyone decided to openly play music without headphones, it would turn into cacophony of chaos with increasing levels of noise to counteract everyone else's sound. We need rules to govern civil society.

Adults are just as tone deaf since Facetime became a vehicle for communication and international travelers sucking up wifi in the lounges and always seem to fail to have headphones.

I have two young kids, and agree with the sentiment espoused above, my job is to keep them entertained and quiet. Make sure they are cognizant of their behaviour on surrounding neighbors, either from physical actions (kicking seats) or noise, demonstrate common courtesy to the Flights Attendants (taking off their headphones to speak to the crew and using appropriate manners), and most importantly, reinforcing positive behaviour by myself, following the same standards.
Disagree all you want. If you're on one of my flights, feel free to call the FA over so they can kick me off the plane. How you'd know, I have no idea, since I can barely hear right next to her, and if, say, my wife and I are having a conversation at a normal volume, than that would probably be more disruptive to you if you were seated in the row behind (and are we not allowed to have a normal conversation, anymore?). Not to mention the toddler crying if I turn the iPad off or put her headphones back on if she's taken them off already instead (and aren't many of the posts talking about how parents need to get kids to stop crying...well, I'm doing it).

There's a difference between a a loud speakerphone call, Facetime call, video game with sound blasted (and yeah, heard that all, not to mention DYKWIAs berating FAs or others) and a video with sound that you can't hear...but what do I know? Maybe next time I'll just let the kid scream instead and see if the passengers around me think that's a less disruptive solution.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I couldn't help it. I got mad at the mother of a baby that squealed the entirety of a 10-hour flight. She complained to the FA. The FA told me he had reported me to the pilots, "because United takes harassment very seriously." Now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop: Banned from UA and lose everything? Or some sort of warning or investigation? Or ...
Hopefully it's the mother and the baby that get banned.
Scifience likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
as a parent not long ago i used pacifiers, ipads and children benadryl to avoid this..
There was an epic Nip/Tuck episode about this. Spoiler: Dr christian troy does not approve
Lots of bad things happen in longhaul Y, most from other passengers. That is why I avoid it.
UA's 8 across business isnt that much helpful. Got stuck with a crying baby on the red eye from HNL.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH DIA
Don’t take babies on a plane, they don’t know how to regulate their ear pressure. It’s irresponsible and cruel.

OP, never raise your voice on a plane and be the first one to talk to the purser. And buy some good noise canceling headphones.
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Several year ago now I was on a flight to DCA and a young mom with infant was seated in front. The kid screamed the whole time. Mother was trying her best. Everyone on the flight knew what was going on. A lady in front of her started yelling at the mother and you could tell the crowd was supporting the mother. Someone told the lady to shut up and yell at him instead of a mom and a baby. The mother was crying at this point. That made her quiet down for a little. We were just about to take off and the lady made another loud rude comment. Engines geared down and captain said there was a mechanical issue and we returned to gate. Police took her off and said she would be booked on next flight if she cooperated. Crowd cheered as they took her off and she was the one crying. Then they made us all get off so plane could be searched.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post

agreed. I was once waiting for a flight and was sitting st the gate with my legs extended. I had been there like that for 20+ minutes. There were these 2 kids running around screaming, hitting, and chasing each other. Parents checked out. Until one of the kids tripped on my legs and they berated me. Am I supposed to just “take it” because they have kids and I “don’t understand”?
We digress, however, if your legs blocked an aisle, you've committed a misdeed of your own. Do you have to take it from the parents now that you've created a tripping hazard? Yes. But use it as an ice breaker to hit back about their children. The current term for this would be 'whataboutism'.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
No way would I inflict a child on the universe or my fellow fliers.
So that said I guess your FT name is a true identity.

The only thing you did was bring the mother's stress level up, which was then severely sensed by the baby. Good job.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
... Now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop: Banned from UA and lose everything? Or some sort of warning or investigation? Or ...
The only way to find out is to send a note to the 1K Desk complaining about the child. Either you'll get compensated or you'll be banned for life. But at least you'll know.
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:09 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by rufflesinc View Post
There was an epic Nip/Tuck episode about this. Spoiler: Dr christian troy does not approve
UA's 8 across business isnt that much helpful. Got stuck with a crying baby on the red eye from HNL.
/agree. I believe even the children’s version is only for kids over 2
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post

Do you have a child? I suspect not; if you did, you’d understand.
I wouldn't because my child wouldn't "squeal" 10 hours straight for no reason and if they were sick I wouldn't have taken them on the flight to begin with.
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post

completely untrue.

She has a responsibility to do everything in her power to quiet her child. If the child was screaming for 10 straight hours then she is a horrible mom. When my step kids would scream we would do anything to quiet them. Whatever it took. It was our responsibility to ensure our children were minimally disruptive to those around us.

The mother sounds like a self absorbed entitled baby herself.
When my kids (including twins) were small I would also do whatever was necessary to keep them happy while traveling and if one was distressed I would try not to disturb the passengers around me even if that meant sitting with the child in the restroom on the flight. It comes down to basic CONSIDERATION for other people.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Disagree all you want. If you're on one of my flights, feel free to call the FA over so they can kick me off the plane. How you'd know, I have no idea, since I can barely hear right next to her, and if, say, my wife and I are having a conversation at a normal volume, than that would probably be more disruptive to you if you were seated in the row behind (and are we not allowed to have a normal conversation, anymore?). Not to mention the toddler crying if I turn the iPad off or put her headphones back on if she's taken them off already instead (and aren't many of the posts talking about how parents need to get kids to stop crying...well, I'm doing it).

There's a difference between a a loud speakerphone call, Facetime call, video game with sound blasted (and yeah, heard that all, not to mention DYKWIAs berating FAs or others) and a video with sound that you can't hear...but what do I know? Maybe next time I'll just let the kid scream instead and see if the passengers around me think that's a less disruptive solution.
Lots of excuses to cover your bad parenting and your children’s behaviour.

Manners taught me not to speak up, and certainly not tattle to the flight attendants. I would try to diplomatically handle it, and if that fails, use you and your parenting as a lesson for my children about being a goood citizen.

I would much rather hear a kid scream and a parent trying to console them, then a video or a game being played at volume with indifferent parents because it is easier for them, and reinforcing bad behaviour in your children.

If you don’t get that, now might be the time to change the behaviour in your own children so they don’t repeat the same indifference as adults.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
As this has drifted from the original topic into a general traveling with children thread, and is not specifically about United, we've decided to close it. If the OP has an update, he's welcome to contact us to add that. For those interested in travel with children, we have a dedicated forum for that.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: