Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Got angry at another passenger, FA reported me to pilots. Now what?

Got angry at another passenger, FA reported me to pilots. Now what?

Old Jan 17, 18, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
If the child was screaming for 10 straight hours then she is a horrible mom.
This is assuming a lot.

I'll repeat, every child is different. I know enough parents that have had horrible times w/ their babies on planes, and they are not terrible parents.
Grog and NoTravelIsFree like this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Moderator Note

While the nexus of this incident was crying babies (always a volatile topic), let's keep this thread focused on the UA related issues and the OP's question. If the thread turns to a general discussion of noisy children (or their parents actions), the UA forum is not the place for that.

Additionally, regardless how one feels about the OP's action, personal attacks or snarky comments are not allowed per FT rules. Such posts have been and will be deleted.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: ANA Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG
Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
It was a painful 90 minutes for most of the Q400 pax within screaming distance.
Heh, funny enough that's why I used to always aim for the Qs on United Express. Propeller engine noise is usually quite effective at drowning out annoying sounds, but I'm guessing that kid took it as a "challenge accepted" moment.

To the OP: at least it was only screaming - the lap baby next to me on a Southwest flight once peed all over. I felt especially bad for the person holding her (who got the bulk of the payload), because it wasn't even her baby. The row of people across from us had 2 lap infants, and they were informed by the FA that someone needed to switch. Rather than break up their group they handed the baby off to the stranger next to me (who was flying with her well behaved seated 10 year old son). FA was incredulous at first but shrugged 'eh, I guess that works too'.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I suspect if United was in the habit of banning people - let alone a top-tier FF - because they were rude to someone once, we would be deluged with threads on this forum about people being banned.

Incidents of violence or fraud will get you banned or status revoked very quickly. A heated conversation? No.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Okay, trying to stay on topic and not making a personal attack toward the OP or the woman whose child caused the initial incident.

The OP - by his/her own standards - said that he/she was pretty mean.

Originally Posted by dgdevil View Post
I was pretty mean. No swear words, but ... The FA got real prissy, as they tend to do.
I don't know what 'pretty mean' means in this context, but I think the FA has a right to report a passenger who said something which made another passenger feel unsafe. And I would thank the FA who took the time to listen to a statement and report something if told them that one passenger was making another feel unsafe because of certain, specific comments.
Grog likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler View Post
When the parents are doing nothing and making zero attempt, yes, I completely agree.

But every kid is different. Some are low maintenance, and others are high maintenance. Sometimes even when parents come prepared with snacks, games, everything, the kid can still not cooperate. What's a parent to do if you have to go from point A to point B? It is an incredibly stressful situation for the parents and last thing they need is passengers yelling at them. I understand it's frustrating and even unfair to other pax, but best thing to do imho is to put on headphones (hopefully noise cancelling) and turn up the music or movie to block it out.
If it's absolutely necessary to travel with a child and the parent knows, from past experience, that there is a significant chance the child will not behave in a reasonable manner, then find an alternate source of transportation. Sure, a 24 hour drive across the country with a toddler might be an uncomfortable experience for you, but it will only be uncomfortable for YOU and not the entire complement of an airplane. Of course, there's nothing legally that prevents you from bringing a screaming baby or misbehaving child onboard a plane and annoying the crap out of everyone. So if that's your ONLY option, then go ahead and do it. Just be aware that it WILL upset other people, and if you're willing to live with that, so be it.
Katamarino likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K/MM
I will update with any developments. Thanks for the input. Yes, I did have earplugs (industrial strength from Home Depot), and yes "Status" is all important to me - and to all of us, I'm sure.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post

Not a fair assumptions. I have raised 6 and I still get miffed when I see parents with kids who are not even attempting anything, or are just letting their kids run amuck on a flight.

I feel that having had kids is no excuse for needing to just tolerate anything. IMHO a flight is a time to do whatever possible as a parent to keep kids behaving. I am SUPER patient when it’s clear a parent is trying and nothing is working, in fact, I even feel badly for them. I get frustrated when the parent is checked out (eg watching a movie) and the kid is being a nuisance; or baby is crying and they are not even attempting to soothe it.

I was recently on a hop SEA-YEG. Parent of a kid just under 2 (was a lap infant but not really a small baby anymore) had ZERO plan for the kid - no snacks, no games, nothing. Kid screamed the whole flight and the dad did nothing and the mom tried nothing. Poor FA tried to help, but mom was a disaster. It was a painful 90 minutes for most of the Q400 pax within screaming distance.
agreed. I was once waiting for a flight and was sitting st the gate with my legs extended. I had been there like that for 20+ minutes. There were these 2 kids running around screaming, hitting, and chasing each other. Parents checked out. Until one of the kids tripped on my legs and they berated me. Am I supposed to just “take it” because they have kids and I “don’t understand”?
Old Jan 18, 18, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by dgdevil View Post
I will update with any developments. Thanks for the input. Yes, I did have earplugs (industrial strength from Home Depot), and yes "Status" is all important to me - and to all of us, I'm sure.
Save some screenshots of your account page from UA with your status and past year of statements. Worst case, you get a status match to another carrier.
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:11 am

Absolutely nothing will happen. Stuff like this occurs across the system everyday. But as others have noted, it is best to suck it up and endure annoyances while flying in an enclosed, highly regulated metal capsule.
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Babies cry. As a frequent flyer, it's best you accept that as a basic condition of air travel you cannot change.
Dogs bite. As a frequent flyer, it's best you accept that as a basic condition of air travel you cannot change.

People fart. As a frequent flyer, it's best you accept that as a basic condition of air travel you cannot change.

Welcome to the friendly skies, everybody!
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph View Post
I don't know what 'pretty mean' means in this context, but I think the FA has a right to report a passenger who said something which made another passenger feel unsafe. And I would thank the FA who took the time to listen to a statement and report something if told them that one passenger was making another feel unsafe because of certain, specific comments.
That was my thought when I read the initial post. If someone was "pretty mean" to me on a plane, when I had directed nothing toward them personally, I'd probably do something about it too. I get pretty annoyed if someone isn't trying to control their children on a flight, because it's disrespectful to other passengers to not even try. But whether that's the reason for the annoyance or not, it's not a reason for a single passenger to take the problem up with the other passenger.

I was on a flight last month and, while parked at the gate, the woman behind me in F took offense at something the passenger in the row behind her said to his wife (none of her business in my opinion). She confronted him and they went back and forth for a while before the FA reported it to the captain. A few minutes later a UA rep boarded the plane and asked the woman to leave. She wouldn't, and continued to argue until her husband convinced her it was just best for them to go. The UA rep told her they would get her on the next flight, so I assume there were no other actions taken, as the OP is worried about. But the moral is that you're never going to win if you initiate a confrontation.
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Restil View Post
If it's absolutely necessary to travel with a child and the parent knows, from past experience, that there is a significant chance the child will not behave in a reasonable manner, then find an alternate source of transportation. Sure, a 24 hour drive across the country with a toddler might be an uncomfortable experience for you, but it will only be uncomfortable for YOU and not the entire complement of an airplane. Of course, there's nothing legally that prevents you from bringing a screaming baby or misbehaving child onboard a plane and annoying the crap out of everyone. So if that's your ONLY option, then go ahead and do it. Just be aware that it WILL upset other people, and if you're willing to live with that, so be it.
You're mistaken this is predictable. I hope for your sake that if/when you got a kid (if you don't already) that he/she is not only low maintenance but 100% predictable. And/or you don't have to travel with him/her much.

Going back on topic I agree nothing will happen. It could have gotten much worse, good it didn't escalate further.

<unsubscribe/>
Old Jan 18, 18, 6:51 am

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
No Noise Canceling for Seat KIcking

Amazing how this crops up just when I was on a small, but near empty flight. Mom w 2 (on lap, that was not on lap) was told she could sit anywhere, so she chose across from me, just one row back., and let the older one cross over and proceed to mess with the back of my seat, then the young one came over and they sat in same seat and did more. I did look over at mom and ask if she thought I should move one seat forward if she was going to continue to let the kids keep moving my seat back. She acknowledged nothing, no excuse, no discussion with children. I didn't move. In about five minutes she moved the kids one row back, because 'she didn't like that seat'. This only worked because the flight wasn't full, but it doesn't negate that the parents need to be a parent even on the flight. Fact is, flying is an increasingly common method of travel for families, so when they come aboard with uncontrolled or sick children (not speaking of those that are undiagnosed), so the bad kids and parents will come with the good.
I am not a 'child' friendly person, and would not change a seat to allow a non-R to sit across the aisle from parent with no space, or ever change seats to let whole family sit together. I have a nickname for myself, but won't post it. I have a look that belies argument once I give my answer. Female does not equate to 'adoring of children', and it's clear from the get go. I have noticed that when non-parent child-friendly people pay attention to bad children, they often improve. I see the good in that, but I can't fake it. I thank those people for their help.
FYI: If you're not kid friendly. Don't ever address the child, this could be construed as criminal behavior. Don't threaten or cuss at parents, even if we want to. Yes, tell FA about the behavior. If FA offers to move you to equal or better seat (not a lesser seat), then move, though you will likely still hear the screaming, it won't be so close. If FA does nothing, tell the parents what is bothering you; though hard to believe, they may not be aware. Tell them the effect on you (can't sleep, eat, drink without spilling), ask if their isn't something more they could do. No need to listen to their troubles, since they probably won't be listening to you, either. Feel free to give unlimited scornful looks every time bad behavior continues, and record the noise, but not the faces.
Sigh. Best of luck to us.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: 3 MMer
"I'm telling (Mom) the captain!!!"

BIG DEAL!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: