Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Travel Insurance - Mudslide on 101 in CA?

Old Jan 17, 18, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

Hello everyone - as people may have heard, the 101 freeway between Santa Barbara and Carpinteria is closed by a mudslide. I have a flight out of LAX on United this Sat, Jan 20th and freeway may or may not be open by then. If not open, the normal 30 min to go through that section onto LAX would instead take about 5 hours to go all the way around via the only alternative route.

Does anyone know if travel insurance will cover this if I postpone my flight a week? There is a section for inclement weather in it, but not sure if an existing mudslide would be covered under it.

Thanks in advance!
- Tom
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Try calling UA and asking before you try an insurance claim... While the official waiver is only for SBA, I was in LAX last Thursday, and the club agents there were helping people adjust travel plans as a result of the mudslides. It may not be a global waiver for anyone flying ex-LAX, but if you have an address up that way, they may be willing/allowed to make exceptions in individual instances.

Good luck!
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
UA usually is pretty good at looking at these things rationally. However, strictly speaking, it's not that you can't get to LAX, it's just that it would take a lot longer and insurance companies tend to be a lot more sticky about these things than UA.

The train appears to be up and running, so that's an option as well.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:43 pm

Based on the wordings here https://webservices.travelguard.com/...=PROD_PLAN_DOC

It would not be covered by insurance. As others have mentioned, UA themselves may be willing to make an accommodation due to the situation so you may not even need to rely on insurance.
Old Jan 17, 18, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone. I'll try calling UA as it gets closer. Train could be a possibility for Sat morning, but I return late Sat night and it's no longer running by then.
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA
Not going to be a problem at all call them now to get the best options, see:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Travel Waiver: Santa Barbara Mudslides (January 11, 2018 - January 22, 2018)

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Jan 18, 18 at 10:51 am
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a bit of a stretch, but space and schedule willing, I would ask a few agents very politely for SBA-LAX-XXX.
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:48 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
It's a bit of a stretch, but space and schedule willing, I would ask a few agents very politely for SBA-LAX-XXX.
I can see them removing segments that involve an affected city quite easily, but adding one? That seems more difficult to convince them to do.
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by TA View Post
I can see them removing segments that involve an affected city quite easily, but adding one? That seems more difficult to convince them to do.
It isn't really adding segments, it's changing the origin, which is a possibility given the scenario. It doesn't need to be SBA-LAX, but they could reroute from SBA thru DEN or SFO, for example.
Old Jan 17, 18, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Hello everyone - as people may have heard, the 101 freeway between Santa Barbara and Carpinteria is closed by a mudslide. I have a flight out of LAX on United this Sat, Jan 20th and freeway may or may not be open by then. If not open, the normal 30 min to go through that section onto LAX would instead take about 5 hours to go all the way around via the only alternative route.

Does anyone know if travel insurance will cover this if I postpone my flight a week? There is a section for inclement weather in it, but not sure if an existing mudslide would be covered under it.

Thanks in advance!
- Tom
No, acts of God are not covered by most travel insurance.
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
SBA to LAX is normally ~100 miles and I'm guessing at least an hour and a half (probably closer to 2 at most times) To drive around is like 250. While it add 150 total miles (and that sucks), it can't add 5 hours of extra travel time.
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
SBA to LAX is normally ~100 miles and I'm guessing at least an hour and a half (probably closer to 2 at most times) To drive around is like 250. While it add 150 total miles (and that sucks), it can't add 5 hours of extra travel time.
Depends if there's an accident (possibly from the increased traffic) blocking 166.
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Not being exactly in the area I can't vouch for this, but Caltrans reports:
IS CLOSED TO SOUTHBOUND TRAFFIC FROM SOUTH MILPAS ST /IN SANTA BARBARA/ TO 3.4 MI SOUTH OF SANTA BARBARA /AT PADARO LANE/ (SANTA BARBARA CO) - DUE TO MUDSLIDES - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
Appears based on google maps traffic (heavy rather than no data) that you can use some of the local streets to go to the point where the 101 is open again (34.419471, -119.595940)
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Depends if there's an accident (possibly from the increased traffic) blocking 166.
Man you're right. I didn't think of that. I guess I'd be even worse if an accident was blocking 166 and 58.
Old Jan 17, 18, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Not going to be a problem at all call them now to get the best options, see:
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Travel Waiver: Santa Barbara Mudslides (January 11, 2018 - January 22, 2018)

/thread
The waiver you refer to is for flights to/from Santa Barbara. OP says they are going out of LAX, which isn't Santa Barbara. Maybe some agents will do it, but given LAX isn't listed in the waiver, it might be a tough sell.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: