Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coat check madness

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Meola10
You asked them to take your coat twice at inappropriate times and the third time I think they were trying to mess with you, which you probably deserved.
That's ridiculous. It's the FA's job to, you know, do their job. Otherwise they should just post up a schedule: Boarding time is 6:05, 6:15 is PDB, 6:17 is coat check, 6:20 we collect your glasses and close the door at 6:22.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2018 at 12:01 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. No need for a formal complaint, just curious if anyone else has come across this.
I'd absolutely make a formal complaint, there is no excuse for that behavior whatsoever, and as a GS you pull more weight to get it addressed.

On various airlines, not only UA, I often see them a lot less proactive about taking winter coats than standard business jackets, etc. Always irks me a bit when I'm tossing my coat into the overhead bin while they are taking jackets from other passengers. (usually this is long haul business class, so I'm not actually taking up space others need with my coat, just the lack of the offer that I don't care for.)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:02 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I always stand with my jacket and don't sit down until it has been taken. That usually has the desired effect within a reasonable space of time!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Flew in F domestically yesterday: the FAs were telling people that they would get the coats in a moment. I was keeping my coat on, so I didn't pay attention as to whether they waited until all passengers were seated to start collecting them. I think it was definitely later in boarding though; I can see it being logistically easier to wait until most of Y has boarded at least, since it's hard to move around while lots of people are in the aisle boarding.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by windhund
...I can see it being logistically easier to wait until most of Y has boarded at least, since it's hard to move around while lots of people are in the aisle boarding.
That's always been my assumption...the FAs know what they're doing. I've never not had them offer to take my coat in 10+ years of constant flying.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
While the crew, per OPs post, seems rude about it, not abnormal to have coats taken after boarding and closer to the actual departure.

IME (and note I really don't like doing the sCO vs. sUA thing), I do think this is an item that was traditionally done differently, and never seems to get done consistently still now. I find the sUA crews tends to take them earlier and while other folks are still boarding, and a row at a time, and sCO folks tend to wait until later and take more coats at once. Persoanally, I prefer them to be taken earlier, but if I have to hold it for a little longer, really isn't that big a deal.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's not about when the coat was taken. It was about how the communication was handled. If the FA had politely explained that they would collect coats at the end of boarding, I'm betting the OP would have sat in his seat content that he would be taken care of eventually. Instead he was addressed rudely multiple times, which annoyed him enough to start a thread here. He needs to report that.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: United 1K
This is entirely unacceptable. No passenger deserves to be treated this way. And the point of first class is enhanced service.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

Passengers and flight crew have been warring since the first commercial flights began to fly. Nothing new here at all. Manage your expectations accordingly and your blood pressure will be better.

Here's what I know. No passenger ever wins a fight with an FA. As for complaining, I have better things to do with my time.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Passengers and flight crew have been warring since the first commercial flights began to fly. ...
Really not true, except possibly on United. I have experienced something similar to OP many, many times. Usually, I sit with my coat obviously in my lap and wait patiently and only ask when it looks like they are going to leave it there for the flight.

I've never, ever experienced this on LH -- or any other airline with quality service for that matter.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Ridiculous - report it. This FA needs re-training, or to leave their position.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Why are so many people eager to slough this off with "the flight attendant is probably having a bad day" ?
Exactly what would be a "bad day" for a flight attendant ? They're fully trained and experienced on what to expect when they work flights, get delayed for weather or irregular operations. They're all thick as thieves with each other so how bad can things be? If everyone that goes to a job has an "off" day (janitors, semi-professionals, doctors, lawyers, anybody) does this give them reason to snub others (customers or coworkers) or treat them with disdain? If you're moody, woke up on the wrong side of the bed or can't handle a "bad day", then call in sick, don't take it out on your customers - your bread and butter.
A "bad day" for these people is on those days whose name ends in a "y".

Simply waking up and going to work is enough to ignite the hatred they have for the customers. As long as customers continue to pay UA $$$ knowing they stand a good chance of being verbally attacked, the bad behavior will never end.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, AA Platinum, Starwood Preferred Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Flying Robot- Are you by chance female?

I have on occasion had issues with FA talking my coat. I am female.

Once, sitting in the aisle, had my coat in hand and the FA reached across me (and my folded) coat to ask if the man in the window wanted his coat taken. The man looked at her and said "aren't you going to take her coat first?" It made no sense to drag his coat over my lap with my coat in the way.

Seems coats are very troublesome.
I have had the exact same experience, on almost every UA domestic flight I've been in FC. I am female. The FA's studiously ignore me and my coat, that I have in my lap, ready to hand over. The treatment is quite different for the males in the same cabin, with their coats draped over their laps. Maybe the FA's just assume that as a female I'll get cold and want it? Very aggravating, and when I ask to have my coat hung up after boarding is completed, I am treated with disdain for the rest of the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by sgw2124
I have had the exact same experience, on almost every UA domestic flight I've been in FC. I am female. The FA's studiously ignore me and my coat, that I have in my lap, ready to hand over. The treatment is quite different for the males in the same cabin, with their coats draped over their laps. Maybe the FA's just assume that as a female I'll get cold and want it? Very aggravating, and when I ask to have my coat hung up after boarding is completed, I am treated with disdain for the rest of the flight.
+1. I'm glad and sad at the same time that I wasn't imagining it!
sgw2124 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingRobot

Inappropriate times? As the third person on board with not a single person behind me on the jet bridge, while the roll up closet was open, and we were both standing within arms reach of it hardly seems inappropriate.

The second time, at least 15 minutes later, might have been asking a favor, but it also isn't inappropriate. Her hands were empty, pre-takeoff drinks were all served, and she was headed back towards the closet.
It just wouldn't even cross my mind to ask the FA to take my coat as I board the plane. It doesn't matter if there was no one behind you at that instance, there soon would be. Besides, I'm sure the FA would want to verify who he seat you are sitting in. Or maybe a look at the BP may suffice but the idea is to not impeded others from boarding in a timely manner.
If I am at my seat and and I have a request (drink, pillow, coat check...) I would say to the FA "when you have a chance please take my coat, bring a drink, etc. )

I would also never dreamt of telling a cabin crew member of when or how to do their job. I would go ballistic if someone told me how to do mine, which is a good thing I am not in the service of the general public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.