Missing part of a trip

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Missing part of a trip

Hello all, have a problem that I need some advice on: My wife and I will be returning from Hawaii tomorrow, OGG SFO PDX, while we have been beaching, our son who lives in Palo Alto (Stanford) had to have some surgery, nothing major but he is laid up for a while. My wife plans on leaving the trip at SFO and spending some time with the boy. Should we let United know of her plans. Thanks for any help with this ( we both are star gold if that has any bearing)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I personally wouldn't due to the fact that they would charge you a change fee and possibly a fare change(?), assuming you've never done this before, you should be fine and UA won't seek payment from you/your wife.

IF your wife eventually wanted to fly from SFO-PDX, she could try SDC'ing the second leg every day to move it later so that she could take it days later when she needs it. This depends on fare class and availability, but I've SDC'd a LAX-SFO segment successfully for 6 days until I wanted to take it.

Just remember to not check any bags that your wife wants in SFO as they will go all the way to PDX.

Go Cardinals! #Classof14

Last edited by laxmillenial; Jan 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm Reason: Added SDC
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
IF your wife eventually wanted to fly from SFO-PDX, she could try SDC'ing the second leg every day to move it later so that she could take it days later when she needs it. This depends on fare class and availability, but I've SDC'd a LAX-SFO segment successfully for 6 days until I wanted to take it.
Good advice, but note that SDC is only free for Premier Gold and higher. Otherwise it costs $75 per change.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I personally wouldn't due to the fact that they would charge you a change fee and possibly a fare change(?), assuming you've never done this before, you should be fine and UA won't seek payment from you/your wife.

Just remember to not check any bags that your wife wants in SFO as they will go all the way to PDX.

Go Cardinals! #Classof14
I doubt the GA would charge an add/collect but who knows? Anything's possible. I agree it's safer to say nothing (although it will be a little odd when half the party no shows).

In this case they can likely check a bag since OP is going all the way to PDX.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good advice, but note that SDC is only free for Premier Gold and higher. Otherwise it costs $75 per change.
Good point. Wonder if UA would waive for *G as a courtesy? (And yes, I know that's not the policy. Everyone seems to snipe over hypotheticals these days!)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I doubt the GA would charge an add/collect but who knows? Anything's possible. I agree it's safer to say nothing (although it will be a little odd when half the party no shows).

In this case they can likely check a bag since OP is going all the way to PDX.

Good point. Wonder if UA would waive for *G as a courtesy? (And yes, I know that's not the policy. Everyone seems to snipe over hypotheticals these days!)
OP could just say wife didn't feel 100% and will be staying with son in SFO until she feels better.

I also believe OP is UA Gold based on other post stating that he had met miles for his year-end PQM travel. So, just a hunch, but thanks for catching me on this
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Wonder if UA would waive for *G as a courtesy? (And yes, I know that's not the policy. Everyone seems to snipe over hypotheticals these days!)
There have actually been many reports over the years of UA not charging *G for SDC. Not sure what the current status is.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How about trying a medical waiver -- not sure this set of circumstances have been reported but seems might have a chance.
Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.