Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Cabin Etiquette --economy vistors in the premium cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Cabin Etiquette --economy vistors in the premium cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
However, United really should have some protocols available for the FAs to follow and refer to in situations like these.
There is an announcement about staying in your ticketed cabin, and a curtain to enforce it. What more is needed, other than to expect FAs to enforce that and all other rules? If you can’t be separated from your (family member/friend), book the same cabin and decline partial upgrades.

Hope the OP sends a report to UA, and hopefully other F pax (other than the grandparents) will do the same.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

There is an announcement about staying in your ticketed cabin, and a curtain to enforce it. What more is needed, other than to expect FAs to enforce that and all other rules? If you can’t be separated from your (family member/friend), book the same cabin and decline partial upgrades.

Hope the OP sends a report to UA, and hopefully other F pax (other than the grandparents) will do the same.
I seem to remember the announcement saying to use the lavatories in your ticket cabin, not staying in your ticketed cabin.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I don't consider myself truly rude. Entitled, maybe. In my last trip (ORD-PVG-ORD), I was in Polaris First on the outbound and my wife was in the first row of Economy +.
I want to know how you're still married, I did this once on a domestic flight DEN-LAX and realised that it was a mistake that I would certainly not be repeating !
nnn and Recondite like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aspen
I want to know how you're still married, I did this once on a domestic flight DEN-LAX and realised that it was a mistake that I would certainly not be repeating !
Married 23 years. This trip to PVG, we thought my business schedule would be light but meetings started piling up so my wife thought it would be important that I sleep on the flight. Funny thing is that on the return she did not want to wait for the upgrade lottery and took for herself a TOD from Economy + to Business and found herself upgraded to First. I was not a winner of the GPU upgrade lottery. Coming back home, I had again a heavy schedule of meetings so my wife did offer me her First Class seat. But, as you said, it would have been a mistake for me to accept it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have at least asked the FA to contact the flight crew and see if they could find some "turbulence" requiring the seatbelts on sign and announcement for people to return to their seats.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nlkm9
theres a gray area, and there are truly rude, entitled people who dont care about anyone but themselves. and sending a PDB back to someone? is that even allowed??
Asking to send a PDB is a bit over the top. However, back when I was a 1K, I was flying with my boss, who had no status on UA. I got upgraded, she was sitting in the first row of coach. Before meal service began I went forward to ask the purser if I could give my dinner wine to my boss. She laughed and said don't worry, I'll take care of her.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
This isn't just an annoyance, it is a safety issue. IMHO the FA should have made the "stay in your seat with seat belt fastened" announcement, and then followed up if they started wandering around again. Surely they would have had time for an announcement or two since the aisles were being used as a super market.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Gramma and gramps should have gone to Y to visit children and grandchildren - not the other way around.
Maybe just a couple of times at most. Economy class passengers also have the right not to be unduly disturbed.

Maybe they should actually have stayed at home if they have so little consideration towards other passengers though.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm obviously not a big United FA supporter as many know.

However, I would point out that the FAs get it from both sides on this. I've seen a number of complaints here about how someone who just wanted to go forward once (or twice, or three times), to visit their spouse and the mean FA sent them back. I think there's a gray area, and I would not expect FAs to strike the perfect balance every time.
There is NO gray area.

There have been several occasions when I have been traveling in a cabin in front of a cabin occupied by other members of my travel party.

If I want to visit them in flight, I go back to their cabin.

More often, we both just get the WiFi and text.

FA's should not allow Y cabin passengers in F under any circumstances. (Ok, maybe the Y cabin lavatories are out or something.)

I don't mind someone in F requesting a beverage for someone in Y. Affects no one but the involved parties. FA can accommodate or not as they feel warrants the situation.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
However, United really should have some protocols available for the FAs to follow and refer to in situations like these.
I vote tasers.
What could possibly go wrong?
schley and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: None anymore
Make sure to complain about it on the survey.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:32 am

Would have certainly annoyed me. If the family want to see each other constantly during a flight they should all sit in the same part of the plane. Can afford premium cabin for everyone? Great, pay. Can't afford it for everyone? Sit in economy. The alternative is not seeing each other for the majority of the flight; hardly the end of the world, anyway.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alliecolvin
Interesting experience last evening on a flight from DEN to PDX. Grandparents sitting in 1A and 1C. Children and grandchildren sitting in E-. What started out as cute, parents bringing the kids to visit grandparents during flight became a major annoyance. Children crawling down the aisle, screaming when separated from grandparents, parents blocking the aisle to restroom and blocking FA from serving. Because you could not avoid noticing I made the flight interesting by counting how many times the parents made a trip from their seats to the front of the plane, 23, not a joke, 23. It was a 2 hour flight. The FA should have discussed this with the parents as it made the flight a bad experience for all. Didn't feel it was appropriate to confront the parents as the level of sensitivity is beyond control.
The FA's can't do anything unless you complain. Their jobs are tenuous and they can be lost if picking a fight with a passenger. It's a little different if they're following up on a complaint from a passenger. If you just sit there like a wallflower, nothing will happen. A closed mouth doesn't get fed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
Haven’t you heard the latest news? Some women actually think they are equals to men. They’re even allowed to vote now!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
This isn't just an annoyance, it is a safety issue. IMHO the FA should have made the "stay in your seat with seat belt fastened" announcement, and then followed up if they started wandering around again. Surely they would have had time for an announcement or two since the aisles were being used as a super market.
So rather than tell a couple of pax to go back to their seats, the FAs should put the fasten seatbelt sign on and inconvenience the other 150-200 pax who might legitimately walk up or down the aisle to go the (assigned cabin) lav?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.