Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

IAH Travel Waiver - 1/16/18

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Currently in flight to IAH and our pilot told us they just closed IAH to clear the runways. In a holding pattern until they make a decision to re-open runways or divert.

Edit - one runway has been re-opened (per our pilot)

Last edited by cawhite; Jan 16, 2018 at 9:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:45 am

I'm watching inbound aircraft to IAH right now. Several UA flights are circling. Interjet is going back to MTY. An AA flight went back to DFW. DL diverted to DFW.

Doesn't look like to be a fun day to go through IAH.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
As a Houstonian, let me just say that we have no clue how to function with winter weather. We close schools and most of the city with the forecast of potential ice/snow. If the temperature gets near 32 degrees, it is the lead story on the local news.

If bad weather actually hits the airport, few connections would be safe. We just do not have the equipment necessary (nor the experience) to handle ice/snow in an efficient manner..
Ain't that the truth! People in Fort Worth were in a full blown panic yesterday, leaving work early, clearing the grocery shelves... and today? Nada. Not even a snowflake.
As someone who grew up in Buffalo, NY it always makes me laugh.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
From the FAA:

CTL ELEMENT: IAH
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1723Z
DELAY ASSIGNMENT MODE: UDP
ARRIVALS ESTIMATED FOR: 16/1723Z - 17/0559Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 16/1723Z - 17/0559Z
PROGRAM RATE: 10/6/12/12/12/12/12/24/24/24/24/24/24
FLT INCL: ALL CONTIGUOUS US DEP
DEP SCOPE: (MANUAL) ZLA ZAU ZLC ZTL ZDC ZNY ZHU ZJX ZFW ZOB ZDV ZOA
ZSE ZBW ZMA ZKC ZME ZID ZAB ZMP
CANADIAN DEP ARPTS INCLUDED: CYVR CYYJ CYTZ CYYZ
DELAY ASSIGNMENT TABLE APPLIES TO: ZHU
MAXIMUM DELAY: 508
AVERAGE DELAY: 363
IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / SNOW-ICE
COMMENTS: GROUND STOP CANCELED. A/C RELEASED ON EDCTS. EDCTS WILL
BE LENGTHY.

Not much flow permitted the rest of the day...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, I miss GS
Finally boarded my EWR flight, pilot just came on and said deicing truck broke and they are working to fix it. Currently at a 2hr delay.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by matthopp
Finally boarded my EWR flight, pilot just came on and said deicing truck broke and they are working to fix it. Currently at a 2hr delay.
I was actually just wondering if IAH even has de-icing equipment.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:48 pm

Apparently they have one, and it broke. just added and hour to my delay, but we are borded with door open for "just in case." Good thing I am up front with a bourbon, they have already served the hot nuts, wonder if they recater with everyone up front on their third or fourth round.
grd787 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by grd787
I was actually just wondering if IAH even has de-icing equipment.
This reminds me of the last time it got icey - AUS with it's one (1) deicing truck did better than SEA did one time I flew DL through there.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

No issues at AUS. It's ~30 degrees out, but no moisture or ice in sight. Walking around downtown like nothing ever happened.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by BThumme
UA will allow almost anything, it's actually quite nice. I just made a change that most people would deem me clinically insane for tomorrows waiver, but made sense to me. With that said, I don't know how lenient UA is for weather changes for changing co-terminals, but you could really make a case for that if you really wanted to.
I successfully got an IAD to DCA re-route, and the agent called it "the easiest thing I've done today."

This was after the EasyChicken (kiosk) suggested that I route RDU-SFO + SFO-IAH redeye. Would've been a marvelous way to earn BIS, if only I didn't need to be conscious tomorrow...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:14 pm

Spent nearly 2hrs to get to the de-ice pad at the runway entrance, ready for them to start spraying then the pilots announced they had timed out, used the runway back to gate. Fun times today at IAH.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

Yikes. Not a lot of ice in a location that's used to it, but the gulf coast? I'm almost surprised IAH didn't have a worse time than it did.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by cawhite
Currently in flight to IAH and our pilot told us they just closed IAH to clear the runways. In a holding pattern until they make a decision to re-open runways or divert.

Edit - one runway has been re-opened (per our pilot)
were you on 1137? If so, we were on the same flight. I was watching the route on the on and off Wi-if on Flightradar24 and knew we were on our way before the announcement. Incredible luck not to divert. Roads were a nightmare today but as a northerner, never slid or spin a wheel with the rental car. Saw mass mayhem on beltway 8 with closings forcing me to get off and back on again. Houston stay the course and keep salt spraying overnight. I have more work to do Wednesday morning! Hopefully I’ll get out in the PM
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I have a relative on the flight to Amsterdam tonight. They left the gate about 90 minutes late (after waiting for the "frozen lavatories" to be fixed), then it took about 2:30 to get through de-icing. He was at the airport for most of the afternoon and said many of the concessions were closed.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by tryathlete
were you on 1137? If so, we were on the same flight. I was watching the route on the on and off Wi-if on Flightradar24 and knew we were on our way before the announcement. Incredible luck not to divert. Roads were a nightmare today but as a northerner, never slid or spin a wheel with the rental car. Saw mass mayhem on beltway 8 with closings forcing me to get off and back on again. Houston stay the course and keep salt spraying overnight. I have more work to do Wednesday morning! Hopefully I’ll get out in the PM
Same flight. We were on 8/45 to and from The Woodlands in the afternoon - it was a mess. After dropping my colleagues back at IAH, I stuck to surface roads heading out to the Galleria area and they weren't bad except overpasses.

Last edited by cawhite; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.