Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

IAH Travel Waiver - 1/16/18

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

IAH Travel Waiver - 1/16/18

I am scheduled to fly through Houston on Tuesday, 1/16. From what I've gleaned in the forecast, the wintry mix is looking most likely to be in the afternoon. My aircraft originates from Houston in the AM, and my flight is supposed to arrive around 5 PM in IAH.

I don't have any experience connecting through IAH in these conditions. For those with more experience and perhaps more familiarity with the weather and forecast, what would you advise?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by windhund
I am scheduled to fly through Houston on Tuesday, 1/16. From what I've gleaned in the forecast, the wintry mix is looking most likely to be in the afternoon. My aircraft originates from Houston in the AM, and my flight is supposed to arrive around 5 PM in IAH.

I don't have any experience connecting through IAH in these conditions. For those with more experience and perhaps more familiarity with the weather and forecast, what would you advise?
What's your current routing/destination?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Decided (foolishly?) to roll the dice on this one...flying SNA-IAH-STL tomorrow with an E+ aisle on first leg and confirmed UG on second. Alternative routings through DEN or SFO had only MUCH less desirable seats and with a 3 hr lay-over in IAH, I figure I have some cushion...am I nuts?

Speaking of nuts, when I first got the travel waiver, I attempted to reroute SNA-EWR-STL (chasing PQM since i’m on status challenge from the Delta DM program). No dice, according to the 1K line. Do broken fares matter even in IRROPS? The routing came up as valid on the website...?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

PSP-IAH-DCA

Would prefer arriving into DCA but could also do IAD.

I could go PSP-LAX-IAD (though don’t know if UA will allow that routing), but also would like to avoid the really early morning flight! (I’m also on F IAH-DCA but have accepted I’d likely lose that in a reroute... but would like to get my upgrade fee back if I do.)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by windhund
PSP-IAH-DCA

Would prefer arriving into DCA but could also do IAD.

I could go PSP-LAX-IAD (though don’t know if UA will allow that routing), but also would like to avoid the really early morning flight! (I’m also on F IAH-DCA but have accepted I’d likely lose that in a reroute... but would like to get my upgrade fee back if I do.)
UA will allow almost anything, it's actually quite nice. I just made a change that most people would deem me clinically insane for tomorrows waiver, but made sense to me. With that said, I don't know how lenient UA is for weather changes for changing co-terminals, but you could really make a case for that if you really wanted to.
//Was your IAH-DCA a comp upgrade? If not, if you did upfare it, keeping business availability is doable as long as there is J/D/C/Z/P availability.

There's also PSP-ORD-DCA - https://goo.gl/flights/i8YH4

Last edited by BThumme; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by gigglypug
Decided (foolishly?) to roll the dice on this one...flying SNA-IAH-STL tomorrow with an E+ aisle on first leg and confirmed UG on second. Alternative routings through DEN or SFO had only MUCH less desirable seats and with a 3 hr lay-over in IAH, I figure I have some cushion...am I nuts?

Speaking of nuts, when I first got the travel waiver, I attempted to reroute SNA-EWR-STL (chasing PQM since i’m on status challenge from the Delta DM program). No dice, according to the 1K line. Do broken fares matter even in IRROPS? The routing came up as valid on the website...?
HUCA. Broken fares definitely don't matter, I can verify this because I just made a pretty crazy change. SNA-EWR-STL is a tad bit crazy, but works, and you avoid IAH (and ORD). If you were so inclined, going through ORD would probably take much less convincing though.
gigglypug likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by gigglypug
Alternative routings through DEN or SFO had only MUCH less desirable seats and with a 3 hr lay-over in IAH
I faced this exact same challenge in deciding upon a course of action for tomorrow's IAH routing. Because UA gives away nearly all of its domestic F seat inventory days in advance and holds little to nothing in reserve, IRROPS continues to be UA's Achilles' heel for me. I purchase a P fare, and still at times wind up flying in the back while an upgrader on a cheap Y fare flies in the front. Incidentally, can someone please tell me what happens with PQM in such a case? If I accept Y routing on a P fare, am I looking at 100% PQM or ??
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I faced this exact same challenge in deciding upon a course of action for tomorrow's IAH routing. Because UA gives away nearly all of its domestic F seat inventory days in advance and holds little to nothing in reserve, IRROPS continues to be UA's Achilles' heel for me. I purchase a P fare, and still at times wind up flying in the back while an upgrader on a cheap Y fare flies in the front. Incidentally, can someone please tell me what happens with PQM in such a case? If I accept Y routing on a P fare, am I looking at 100% PQM or ??
You can always request original routing credit if need be, that would be pretty easy to do. If you take a refund/downgrade for the entire trip to economy, it might be a bit harder, but probably still doable.
I think the flexibility that UA offers on these waivers is best in class. I don't usually travel in Biz (other then upgrades), but with a little creativity in routing, it's still possible to find something. That of course is up to how much you really care or free time you have to make it work.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme
UA will allow almost anything, it's actually quite nice. I just made a change that most people would deem me clinically insane for tomorrows waiver, but made sense to me. With that said, I don't know how lenient UA is for weather changes for changing co-terminals, but you could really make a case for that if you really wanted to.
//Was your IAH-DCA a comp upgrade? If not, if you did upfare it, keeping business availability is doable as long as there is J/D/C/Z/P availability.

There's also PSP-ORD-DCA - https://goo.gl/flights/i8YH4
Thanks very much! The upgrade was a buy-up after purchase. (I suspect a Y-up fare... have they fixed the issues where that looks like a Y fare to them?)

UA usually doles out upgrades and there are few if any seats left for IRROPS IME. But will see!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:01 pm

There is also a waiver for Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio for 1/16.

Scheduled to fly ORD > AUS direct at 7:35PM. Assuming the storm will be over by then, and roads in better shape. But it's an ERJ-175. Wonder if I'd have better luck flying ORD > IAH > AUS on 737s a bit earlier in the day.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Well, PSP-ORD-DCA was full when I got around to calling. But got PSP-LAX-IAD without an issue. Agent was quick and efficient: have to thank the good agents on the Premier line!

Also, check your flights: PSP-IAH got canceled sometime this afternoon, and the app didn't send me a notification. I only found out because TripIt decided to give me Pro functionality for this trip, and I got an email that it was canceled.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Route around, don't try to come through IAH tomorrow. The FAA's goal is 30 min delays, but I'm skeptical, and even if maintained it will be at the expense of cancellations.
PBAudit likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
As a Houstonian, let me just say that we have no clue how to function with winter weather. We close schools and most of the city with the forecast of potential ice/snow. If the temperature gets near 32 degrees, it is the lead story on the local news.

If bad weather actually hits the airport, few connections would be safe. We just do not have the equipment necessary (nor the experience) to handle ice/snow in an efficient manner.

UA certainly has issues, but the flexibility with their weather waivers has always been stellar for me. When I've had advanced notice, I've been able to pull off perfectly suitable (and often beneficial) alternatives.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I’ve heeded the warnings and booked a routing through SFO. Seats in the very back of the bus but hey, at least they’re aisle 😊

As an unexpected bonus, was re-booked into full Y...is that standard procedure in IRROPS around here? Very nice from a PQM perspective!

Interestingly, the routing through EWR I’d asked about previous (and was denied) was the first option I was offered...however, only middle seats and they have their own weather issues so thanks but no thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:14 am

ORD > IAH flights seem to be running fine today. Still deciding whether to take my direct ORD > AUS or route ORD > IAH > AUS (mainly due to earlier departure time, not so much the extra ~450 PQM, but will take those too )

EDIT: Today's first 3 flights IAH > AUS have been canceled. The 4:25PM is delayed 1 hour. Looking more like I should stick with my direct ORD > AUS.

Last edited by SpicyMeatball; Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.