Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Over Entitled? (are Gold and/or MMer benefits too rich?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over Entitled? (are Gold and/or MMer benefits too rich?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But couldn't the argument be made that other airlines already do this and UA is simply catching up? Take EVA for example. There's a "Business class" lounge and there's a "*G lounge" and then there's a "Eva Diamond Lounge".

So when UA completes it's Polaris, there would be a "United Club for vouchers and *G", a "Business class / Polaris Lounge". Unfortunately no "GS/GFL lounge" anymore.
Possibly, I don't know the *A alliance very well. I'm not even opposed to it since it doesn't seem unreasonable for the J passengers to have space to roam and not get crowded out by credit card holders and etc. My point was just that it is being sort of devalued.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gig103
That's already happening. UA is opening Polaris lounges where *G doesn't get access (*G still have access to United Clubs).
*G didn’t get you into GFL lounges either. Nothing changes here - *G still gets you into United Clubs. Where’s the downgrade???

You’re complaining about something that isn’t changing (which you’re free to do, but don’t imply it’s a. downgrade).

as far as recent history goes, the Polaris lounges (whenever they manage to open) are an upgrade for long-distance Business customers.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 15, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Silver, Gold, etc should be compared to similar status on other airlines. Arbitrarily picking something like when you can choose E+ seems like a strange way to value the status level. I find things like lounge access far more valuable but that is standard across all gold in the alliance. Actually, you could say UA gold is UNDER-valued since we cannot access UA lounges on domestic flights but everyone else in the alliance can.

I do think Platinum and 1K are undervalued. UA seems to value RPUs and GPUs extremely high, probably equiv to a full price F or J ticket where in reality many RPU's would have been CPUs and GPUs still have a "w" copay and still go unused.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Somebody has to sit in the E+ Seats, should be the golds or higher. If they strip that benefit, all of the E+ seats will be filled with people on Economy "basic" tickets. Also note without E+ I am a full free agent.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I say, "If it ain't broken, we fix it!"
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by boat9781
To use the words of a former UA exec, is Gold truly “over entitled” or am I wrong?
You are wrong.
kale73 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Look, it’s one thing to come on here and say something like “if UA doesn’t fix their IRROPS for elites and/or J/F pax, they’re going to lose my business.” Or maybe “UA would stand to get a lot more of my business if they implemented X Air’s new policy.” But to completely dream up the internal financial workings of a major global airline, deem (imagine) that they are being too generous with their FF program, and start tossing out specific devaluations to solve the “problem” is borderline trolling. Period....
You're right. Now everyone go back to complaining about ice cream in paper cups ; )
Two Bee likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by steveo
Somebody has to sit in the E+ Seats,
Intercontinental I believe the plan (medium term) is to do away with much of the E+ seating and replace with PE.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Intercontinental I believe the plan (medium term) is to do away with much of the E+ seating and replace with PE.
How's bout they remove a couple of seats and put in a lav that I can turn around in?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:34 pm Reason: innappropriate comment removed
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD

Pretty sure everything OP wrote was in the subjunctive tense, and I’m not sure I see where OP made declarative statements of first hand knowledge of “the financial workings of a global airline” but we can agree to disagree.
Your first post was spot on. The whole point of this board is to be a place where people can put down their thoughts and musings on such matters as benefit entitlements. People shouldn't be telling others what they can and can't start a discussion about, as long as the discussion is within the confines of the TOS. This one is.

No one is forcing people to read and post in this thread, last time I checked.
chavala and HoyaSFOIAD like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Also, when you're thinking of Gold benefits, keep in mind what people get for simply having the United Credit Card. Same boarding/priority premier access as Gold. So the true "Gold-only" benefits are upgrades, SDC, E+ at booking, *G.
And exit row seats, which is a benefit I appreciate.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Don't Plat also get a couple of RPUs? And higher RDM multiplier?

If you get rid of Plat, there is a pretty big gap between Gold and 1K. 50,000 miles and $6K in spend is a big hurdle without incremental benefits.

I don't really agree with the premise that Gold benefits are too rich, but regardless, I don't think getting rid of Plat makes much sense.
Yes, although all I read here is how RPU's are useless. I have to say, when I was 1K that was my experience too. The RDM's are a benefit. I forgot about that since I typically only use miles to buy tickets for family members and thus always have a big pile.

Remember, there was no Plat on pmUA and we all got along just fine. I was only ever Premier Exec back then. Happy with those benefits and never felt compelled to go the extra mile for 1K. After the merger, and some of the benefit decreases, I was Plat and 1K for several years, before settling comfortably into Gold because I don't find Plat to be worth it. My point was just that Gold benefits may seem too high because there isn't enough differential between Gold and Plat. I'd be fine with increasing Plat benefits and keeping the status too. Maybe throw a couple GPUs in there or something.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Anyone with a status level beneath yours is over-entitled.

Anyone with a status level above yours is too needy.

'tis the FT way.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Credit card holders who board with (or even ahead if they scrum the line) of Gold are over entitled.

GS is the status that needs to be actively reviewed and improved/maintained again and again to be “world class”. My last transpac they weren’t even given first boarding privileges out of SFO.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I dont want any talk from any one about downgrading MM Gold benefits especially the Star Gold. I am now very close, should get lifetime gold by end of February. This is only thing which sets United apart from DL and AA. Pointsguy and other publications hold Mileageplus in high regard just for this.. I hope they dont change Gold benefits at all.
kale73 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As a UA G since January 1 I've flown four flights and spent $1,000. I don't fly on UA to Hawaii anymore (due to their domestic 777 planes with the call buttons in the arm rests), and prefer a 737 over a RJ to Tahoe. On either flight would not have received an upgrade to be on an inferior plane.

Living near SFO I want to spend money on UA, but they have to offer a reasonable value proposition to earn my business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:17 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.