Search

Equipment change on UA1948 later today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:02 am
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Equipment change on UA1948 later today

It appears that the aircraft for this flight was changed from a 757 to a 777 sometime in the wee hours this morning. (The app still says it's a 757 on the seat map page!)

Anyway, I'm considering switching to this flight from my currently scheduled 2pm flight, but I'm a bit paranoid that the equipment will switch back to a 757 if they end up not needing the seats, and I'll get stuck in a middle seat at the back of the bus. Any thoughts on the likelihood of this? TIA
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
It appears that the aircraft for this flight was changed from a 757 to a 777 sometime in the wee hours this morning. (The app still says it's a 757 on the seat map page!)

Anyway, I'm considering switching to this flight from my currently scheduled 2pm flight, but I'm a bit paranoid that the equipment will switch back to a 757 if they end up not needing the seats, and I'll get stuck in a middle seat at the back of the bus. Any thoughts on the likelihood of this? TIA
Can't comment if it will switch back. However, IAD-LAX yesterday, swapped from a 757-200 (with lie-flat business seats) to a 757-300 (with recliner business seats). Being in business, I was a bit pissed as I did book this flight because of those seats. (I was upgraded via a RPU).

Anyway, equipment swap occurred at T-22 ish I think. The app said it was a 757-200 (the original configuration) all the way to departure even when it became obvious that it wasn't. So, don't trust the app's text stating what plane it is on the seat map page when an equipment change occurs.
FrenchBullies1975 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they are down a 752 right now and as noted ... this has been swapped to a 753 before. 772 makes more sense because it is still lie-flat; I think this is a safe move
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flight status says they're using a 764 on 1948 today. Aircraft is departing EWR in about 20 minutes.

They're obviously scrambling a bit, but if that 764 departs EWR, it's a solid bet that's the aircraft that goes back on 1948.
FrenchBullies1975 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:57 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Thanks, all. In further craziness on this flight, of course there are now 20 more C seats available with the equipment change.

Even as a 1K on an M fare, I'm waaaay down at #21 . Sigh.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Even as a 1K on an M fare, I'm waaaay down at #21 . Sigh.
That really doesn't sound right. I wonder if you were waitlisted correctly.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:22 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That really doesn't sound right. I wonder if you were waitlisted correctly.
I called 1K desk and they say my RPUs in there... Any suggestions on how to ask the question? I worry that at this point, everything is under airport control so the call center won't be able to do anything if I'm not very specific.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:06 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Huh. Well, this was news to me: if you make a SDC within 24 hours of departure, and your upgrade hasn't cleared, you're not even supposed to be put on the UG list for your new flight...?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

Huh. Well, this was news to me: if you make a SDC within 24 hours of departure, and your upgrade hasn't cleared, you're not even supposed to be put on the UG list for your new flight...?
Yes that's correct. So they apparently put you at the bottom of the list.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:29 pm

How often does the 764 find its way to SFO? This seems like a rare-ish event.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
How often does the 764 find its way to SFO? This seems like a rare-ish event.
Only through a one-off swap like this, as there hasn't been a 764 route from SFO since they took it off HNL.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can't comment if it will switch back. However, IAD-LAX yesterday, swapped from a 757-200 (with lie-flat business seats) to a 757-300 (with recliner business seats). Being in business, I was a bit pissed as I did book this flight because of those seats. (I was upgraded via a RPU).

Anyway, equipment swap occurred at T-22 ish I think. The app said it was a 757-200 (the original configuration) all the way to departure even when it became obvious that it wasn't. So, don't trust the app's text stating what plane it is on the seat map page when an equipment change occurs.
i was on the next segment IAD-SFO. very displeased that the equipment changed when i was on a paid first class fare.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by jasonp622
i was on the next segment IAD-SFO. very displeased that the equipment changed when i was on a paid first class fare.
Purchased a C fare on a 777-200 from ORD to EWR. Five days before the flight, was upgraded to F. When I checked in at ORD, nothing was changed. About a half-hour before boarding, received an alert that the aircraft was changed to a 757. No problem, I thought, it still is a lie-flat. Wrong - it was a 757-300 and they reassigned me to a bulkhead seat (no real legroom). I was angry, as I could have chosen to fly earlier but selected that specific aircraft. To make matters worse, they had solicited for volunteers and since I was in the lounge, I missed that opportunity as I would have gladly done that.

Called GSCS after the flight and they gave me $200 without batting an eye.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that's correct. So they apparently put you at the bottom of the list.
So that's why I keep striking out when I SDC to flights that are more wide open in front.

Almost did it tomorrow morning to connect thru DEN instead of ORD!

FT pro's come thru again!!! ^
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:41 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Two Bee
So that's why I keep striking out when I SDC to flights that are more wide open in front.
I understand restrictions on SDC upgrades, but man, I feel pretty crummy about having purchased an M fare and getting stuck alllll the way down the list.

That said, it also appears that United, in true revenue optimization character, started selling buy ups at check-in a few hours ago. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.