Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment change on UA1948 later today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jasonp622
i was on the next segment IAD-SFO. very displeased that the equipment changed when i was on a paid first class fare.
understandable, but there is no guaranteed equipment on this route. If they sub EWR/BOS-SFO then they will compensate.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
it also appears that United, in true revenue optimization character, started selling buy ups at check-in a few hours ago. Sigh.
Yeah I saw that . . . J seats disappearing but no movement on the waitlist. I take it you did not get a buy-up offer?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:06 pm
formerly fkhatibloo
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah I saw that . . . J seats disappearing but no movement on the waitlist. I take it you did not get a buy-up offer?
Negative. I had already checked in by the time Mr. Algorithm started optimizing for $.

However, I did the frantic re-re-refresh dance as soon as they started clearing upgrades (during preboarding!) and scored 16L, which is my favorite Y seat on this aircraft. #smallvictories #firstworldproblems
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:55 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Yes that's correct. So they apparently put you at the bottom of the list.
I don't think this was the case. Phone agents can't put you in a specific location on the list. They can either apply the RPU or not. While the rules don't allow it, I've had luck with getting some agents to do it and I ended up exactly where I should have been. Even a 1K on an M fare and a 764, it does not surprise me that the OP ended up #21 on the list. Especially with the pending weather and waiver in place for EWR and it being a Monday flight.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by In The 216
Even a 1K on an M fare and a 764, it does not surprise me that the OP ended up #21 on the list. Especially with the pending weather and waiver in place for EWR and it being a Monday flight.
Don't agree. 21 is too low for 1K on an M fare on an instrument only flight. J was booked only 18/39 when OP posted. All the flights SFO-EWR today went out on time (minor exception which was 10:41 p.m., was 11 minutes late). And today was a federal holiday, typically a relatively easy day for upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Don't agree. 21 is too low for 1K on an M fare on an instrument only flight. J was booked only 18/39 when OP posted. All the flights SFO-EWR today went out on time (minor exception which was 10:41 p.m., was 11 minutes late). And today was a federal holiday, typically a relatively easy day for upgrades.
More specifically, 21 when the first nonrev was 23. Adding to the upgrade list like that is going to be a manual process; if the agent keyed the wrong priority (like PR2, for CPUs) then you're going on the list in the wrong place.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can't comment if it will switch back. However, IAD-LAX yesterday, swapped from a 757-200 (with lie-flat business seats) to a 757-300 (with recliner business seats). Being in business, I was a bit pissed as I did book this flight because of those seats. (I was upgraded via a RPU).

Anyway, equipment swap occurred at T-22 ish I think. The app said it was a 757-200 (the original configuration) all the way to departure even when it became obvious that it wasn't. So, don't trust the app's text stating what plane it is on the seat map page when an equipment change occurs.
I was on this flight, and was just as pissed as you. I bought F specifically for the lie-flat. Had I bought Y, I either would have had an empty middle seat (Y was lightly booked), or I would have gotten an upgrade via the RPU which I applied to the outbound, and which failed. (I would have applied the RPU to the return instead.)

The only people who were happy with the aircraft swap were the people in rows 5-6, who presumably got upgraded after the change. In a last minute switcheroo, there probably was not sufficient time to peddle TOD's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.