Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by mynolix
I really wasn't expecting much except for a reimbursement of my flight.
You can get this, just call and ask for a refund. Or visit www.united.com/refunds
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - I'm guessing your message was too long and thus got skimmed.
2 - At that point, you could have requested a refund. You still can.
3 - Consider ETC as compensation for the hotel.
4 - You're going to have to choose between the refund and original routing credit.
5 - Never imply. Customer service agent are readying tens or hundreds of emails a day. Ask for what you want, clearly, preferably in 3 sentences or less.
Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind!

How do you figure, exactly? Are they just supposed to kick people off of the next day's flights?

If you had kept an eye on inventory and called when some appeared, or showed up to stand by, you would almost certainly have made it to EWR as a 1K. (Also, did you check LGA? HPN? PHL? BDL?)
No, I would have just wished for a customer hotline to act a little more pro-actively (by being a little more creative and suggest more than just "there are no flights available for tmrw"
I did check for LGA, HPN on my phone, no availability
There was availability to ABE though. But honestly I do feel somewhat entitled to be brought to some place close to my original destination.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mynolix
No, I would have just wished for a customer hotline to act a little more pro-actively (by being a little more creative and suggest more than just "there are no flights available for tmrw"
I did check for LGA, HPN on my phone, no availability
There was availability to ABE though. But honestly I do feel somewhat entitled to be brought to some place close to my original destination.
I mean, if there are no seats, there are no seats. If you had flown to ABE, you'd have been a one-hour drive (or UA bus service) from EWR; personally, I'd call that close to my original destination, but I'm from Texas . Instead, you drove 12 hours.

UA domestic airlines are operating at ~85% load factors right now, and that's just an average -- on routes like ORD-EWR, it could easily be 90-95%. For every flight that they cancel, they might need ten planes' worth of excess capacity to recover.

The thing is, though -- what generally happens is that people do what you did and make alternative arrangements -- or, they misconnect at ORD, because the morning flight they were planning to go to EWR on got cancelled. Then, seats open. If you'd stayed in ORD, as a 1K, you would likely have gotten a seat, because you'd have been ahead of all non-GS passengers on each standby list.

I can give you an example: I was flying XXX-IAH-AUS; the last two IAH-AUS flights of the day were cancelled due to the threat of snow at AUS. I got a hotel voucher, the storm hit AUS (and then IAH), and I watched as IAH-AUS flight after flight was cancelled. I went back to the airport at 4 PM; the first flight they actually operated was at 9. I was on it, though, because as a 1K, I got priority rebooking. The standby list for that flight was about 100 passengers. (I would have driven, but, uh, you don't try to drive on snowy roads in Texas.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I would have jumped at that, for a one-hour flight, but there is absolutely no way that a 1K on a B fare should have been first on the downgrade list unless there was nobody else upgraded..
United App showed no upgrades... Guess it was all paid J? Friday midday flight with a major convention underway.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane
United App showed no upgrades... Guess it was all paid J? Friday midday flight with a major convention underway.
That's possible, but the app won't show anyone who was upgraded prior to check-in.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that a general member who paid for a P fare is supposed to be ahead of an upgraded 1K -- but it's better all around if they ask for volunteers. In this case, though, it sounds like it worked out for you. ^
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:44 pm

Just I've forwarded a concern (flight delay 24h due to technical problem with aircraft) to Customer Service on United's website.
I am Premier Gold.
Got a case no and auto reply that I will get a reply in 18-21 business days. Is that the usual response time?

Curious to know other experience.

Thanks
HJ
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Just I've forwarded a concern (flight delay 24h due to technical problem with aircraft) to Customer Service on United's website.
I am Premier Gold.
Got a case no and auto reply that I will get a reply in 18-21 business days. Is that the usual response time?

Curious to know other experience.

Thanks
HJ
You should hear back in a few days
Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

You should hear back in a few days
Thanks.
Just a question - I can see that some fellow Flyertalkers are calling (in stead of writing). Who do you call? (as Premier Gold)

Last edited by H.J.Simpson; Jul 20, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Thanks.
Just a question - I can see that some fellow Flyertalkers are calling (in stead of writing). Who do you call? (as Premier Gold)
You can call the premier line phone number that's listed on the back side of your Gold card. If you don't have the physical card, you can view the digital card in the app.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks.
In my personal experience I believe you get a better result by just waiting for a written reply. A little patience goes along way. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
In my personal experience I believe you get a better result by just waiting for a written reply. A little patience goes along way. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
I agree 100%. I call when I need immediate assistance; I write when I have something to discuss after-the-fact. It's a different pool of agents, and they focus on different things.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
You can call the premier line phone number that's listed on the back side of your Gold card. If you don't have the physical card, you can view the digital card in the app.
There are no Gold cards and the number on the virtual card is just a standard reservation number.
The phone numbers (for non-GS) all are handled the same way -- you are routed based on UA status and it just goes to reservation agents -- no special # for just for elite issues.

Calling the MPSC does get a different type of agent but again routed by your status.

Agree with the others, for non-urgent issues, emailing is better
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:13 am

OK thanks. Will let you know what reply I will get.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No that's just CYA.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Recent flight EWR-DUB in Polaris. Twice requested a mattress pad after boarding and ignored/forgotten both times. In both instances I indicated I would be sleeping at wheels-up and a mattress pad was all I needed (I don't eat on flights US to Europe - I sleep the whole way). Hit the FA call button and still no response. Received $250 travel certificate after writing to customer care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.