Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaottic97
Was I low balled?
No, as it has commonly reported that your status has more to do with the goodwill gesture, rather than the underlying issue.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kaottic97
7/9, flight from BUR to SFO was diverted to FAT due to mechanical issue (window seal broken causing issue maintaining cabin pressure). Flights from FAT back to SFO all booked, next flight the following day. I rented a car and drove back to Bay Area with some other refugees.

UA did not proactively reach out with compensation. I called today (7/15) and the agent offered $250 travel voucher (I accepted). I paid roughly that amount for the flight segment (V class flexible fare). I spent about $100 for the car rental. Was I low balled? I’m thinking I should also request ticket refund. Thoughts?

I flew AS last year OAK-SEA that had a major delay, and AS rebooked me on DL out of SFO, and proactively offered $200 compensation. Disappointed in UA’s handling of this mechanical issue.
Given it was a pricey ticket (V) I would have asked for a refund on the flight as well. Let us know if you get it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:56 pm

LGA to ORD VDB

7 flights out of LGA were canceled today (July 18th) due to weather and I was booked on the 8:15pm flight, which ended only leaving about 40 min late. There were 50+ standby and they were overbooked by 6. They ended up taking three volunteers. Both myself and the other guy got booked on to flights two days later for $1,200 and $1,250 respectively. I think the third person got $1000 and an upgrade to F on a flight tomorrow. They originally offered $1000 but I asked them for more.

All the agents were very nice but we had to wait until the flight depredated for the agent to process our vouchers. I’m glad I double checked what I was being handed because he tried to just give me $1K, I kindly asked about the extra $200 and he provided it.

Very happy with the money and plan to use it towards some mileage runs.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by UAEWR
7 flights out of LGA were canceled today (July 18th) due to weather and I was booked on the 8:15pm flight, which ended only leaving about 40 min late. There were 50+ standby and they were overbooked by 6. They ended up taking three volunteers. Both myself and the other guy got booked on to flights two days later for $1,200 and $1,250 respectively. I think the third person got $1000 and an upgrade to F on a flight tomorrow. They originally offered $1000 but I asked them for more.

All the agents were very nice but we had to wait until the flight depredated for the agent to process our vouchers. I’m glad I double checked what I was being handed because he tried to just give me $1K, I kindly asked about the extra $200 and he provided it.

I thought it is standard that everyone receives the same highest amount. In your case $1,250 for all three.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I thought it is standard that everyone receives the same highest amount. In your case $1,250 for all three.
That is the policy, yes, and I'm actually a little surprised that Aero actually doesn't enforce it automatically. I'd write in, not so much because of the $50, but because (a) this agent needs a reminder on the policy, and (b) somebody may need to take a look at Aero to keep this from happening again.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:07 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
That is the policy, yes, and I'm actually a little surprised that Aero actually doesn't enforce it automatically. I'd write in, not so much because of the $50, but because (a) this agent needs a reminder on the policy, and (b) somebody may need to take a look at Aero to keep this from happening again.
+1

This seems like something UA would be very sensitive to given the PR mess that led to the increased VDB comp/better VDB process in the first place.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
From this —

Originally Posted by UAEWR

All the agents were very nice but we had to wait until the flight depredated for the agent to process our vouchers.
I’m glad I double checked what I was being handed because he tried to just give me $1K, I kindly asked about the extra $200 and he provided it.

— it seems as though perhaps the agent VDB'd everyone at $1k and then tacked on $200 as some other service recovery gesture. Hard to guess if that was intentional to minimise total payout or just an oversight in a hectic situation.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Downgraded on the one hour domestic leg of an international premium economy fare. The domestic leg was a B fare with an instant upgrade to first since I am a 1K. One seat in first was broken and I was the lowest fare thus downgraded. Given a $500 etc and an E- aisle seat. No complaints from me.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane
One seat in first was broken and I was the lowest fare thus downgraded. Given a $500 etc and an E- aisle seat. No complaints from me.
I would have jumped at that, for a one-hour flight, but there is absolutely no way that a 1K on a B fare should have been first on the downgrade list unless there was nobody else upgraded..
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Was impacted by the weather mess at the east coast flying 1816 ORD-EWR on Jul 17.

I boarded but was called by a buddy boarding later that they cancelled the flight. Announcement was made about the cancellation minutes later. I called 1K Line twice to ask for ANY kind of re-accomodation on a flight arriving at EWR the next day. None available and App only showed Standby for the entire next day. I had to make sure I was back in NY on 7/19 so I ended up sharing a rental car with some co-workers (with almost no availability at that time I called 1K again to ask if they could assist me in booking a car through Hertz. I am not a frequent Hertz user. They merely forwarded the call to the Hertz hotline that I call have also called if I didn't think that UA elites would receive some sort of priority. I wondered what the benefit is from their partnership).
Even mentioning that I am stuck in Chicago for the night they didn't even offer to look at hotels for me (obviously self-paid)
Well, got back to NY 14hrs later.
1) I wrote in NOT to ask for compensation for any expenses caused by that WX delay, I even specifically mentioned that I am not aiming for it
2) I called UA on my drive to announce that they won't have to bother about the flight and may free up space if they had ever considered that
3) They offered me $200 ETC which barely makes up for the flight
4) I did mention that I missed out on the PQMs and such they disregarded the fact entirely

I already replied implying that I believe they should at least give me my PQMs as it is - in my opinion - definitely under their control to provide appropriate (as in the next day) re-arrangements for WX cancellations. Especially between ORD and EWR.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
At minimum you should get a refund for your flight. Further comp depends on clarification.

- Did they deny you a hotel?

- What did it end up costing you to get to NY?

-What did you call to cancel when you called ua with your announcement?

FWIW the PQM are practically worthless -- try not to waste time on pqm.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
At minimum you should get a refund for your flight. Further comp depends on clarification.

- Did they deny you a hotel?

- What did it end up costing you to get to NY?

-What did you call to cancel when you called ua with your announcement?

FWIW the PQM are practically worthless -- try not to waste time on pqm.
1) I briefly mentioned that I could use a room but haven't elaborated on that, so no (did not complain, was just thinking this could be part of a standard IRROPS handling - like a checklist or whatever)
2) Only Premium SUV available, shared: $450
3) 1K line (telling them that I made other arrangements, was even proactively asked if I am asking for compensation which I denied saying I would have to get back first and only then worry about it)

So what could or should I ask for? This kind of being a grey area I am really not sure what I am entitled to. I mean ultimately they can say WX is outside their control not giving me anything.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Hah I was unclear. 3) by 'what did you call to cancel' (presumably the next available flight, that they booked you on) I meant 'what flight did you call to cancel?'

You may have been entitled to a hotel, but didn't ask for one. They may have comped you your cost of getting to NY but you declined. You can call and try to request this. They issued you an $200 ETC as a courtesy. You can also get a refund for your cancelled flight if you ask for it. What else were you expecting?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Hah I was unclear. 3) by 'what did you call to cancel' (presumably the next available flight, that they booked you on) I meant 'what flight did you call to cancel?'

You may have been entitled to a hotel, but didn't ask for one. They may have comped you your cost of getting to NY but you declined. You can call and try to request this. They issued you an $200 ETC as a courtesy. You can also get a refund for your cancelled flight if you ask for it. What else were you expecting?
I cancelled the original flight which had not been rescheduled at that time. in two calls they haven't provided any feasible option so I decided to do that.
I really wasn't expecting much except for a reimbursement of my flight. I understand this is what they may consider doing when I call in again.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mynolix
1) I wrote in NOT to ask for compensation for any expenses caused by that WX delay, I even specifically mentioned that I am not aiming for it
2) I called UA on my drive to announce that they won't have to bother about the flight and may free up space if they had ever considered that
3) They offered me $200 ETC which barely makes up for the flight
4) I did mention that I missed out on the PQMs and such they disregarded the fact entirely

I already replied implying...Any thoughts?
1 - I'm guessing your message was too long and thus got skimmed.
2 - At that point, you could have requested a refund. You still can.
3 - Consider ETC as compensation for the hotel.
4 - You're going to have to choose between the refund and original routing credit.
5 - Never imply. Customer service agent are readying tens or hundreds of emails a day. Ask for what you want, clearly, preferably in 3 sentences or less.

Originally Posted by mynolix
in my opinion - definitely under their control to provide appropriate (as in the next day) re-arrangements for WX cancellations. Especially between ORD and EWR.
How do you figure, exactly? Are they just supposed to kick people off of the next day's flights?

If you had kept an eye on inventory and called when some appeared, or showed up to stand by, you would almost certainly have made it to EWR as a 1K. (Also, did you check LGA? HPN? PHL? BDL?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.