Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
... Even though the original delay was caused by weather, the delay itself was due to UA's inability to provide a flight crew.
and staffing issues were caused by weather -- seems it was weather all around.
...Should I expect compensation? ...
No as it was WX related.

...What is interesting about this, is that as I was tracking the LAS inbound and saw it divert, I had to tell the gate agent (who didn't appear too swift), that the flight was diverted and he should call operations for an alternate crew. Had I not done this, no other arrangements may have been made and the flight could have ended up being canceled. So theoretically, I may have saved the flight from being canceled, and in the process saved UA a lot of $$.
Operations does not need a GA to tell them about a diversion -- they knew about. GAs are usually the last to get told anything, with many of today's online tools, it is not unusual for the passengers to learn of flight status as or before GAs.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:26 pm

Offered $100 ETC via United Cares for about 2 hours of non functioning WiFi, DirectTV and PDE on IAD-SFO. Worked fine the last 3 hours or so. FA announced during the flight that we would be getting an e-mail from United Cares.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Offered $175 ETC via UA cares for plane swap due to mechanical issue and 4.5h delay on EWR-LAX. I find this to be a little too low? Should I bother asking again?
Old May 25, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mynolix
Offered $175 ETC via UA cares for plane swap due to mechanical issue and 4.5h delay on EWR-LAX. I find this to be a little too low? Should I bother asking again?
What class of service was your ticket? Do you have elite status with UA? These affect their comp rate.

Delay comp only kicks in at 4 hours, so the $175 sounds pretty good. < 4 hours = bupkis.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
What class of service was your ticket? Do you have elite status with UA? These affect their comp rate.

Delay comp only kicks in at 4 hours, so the $175 sounds pretty good. < 4 hours = bupkis.
ended up in E+ as a 1k. Reason that it seems quite low is that I got multiple ETCs worth more for less delay. Like 2hrs stuck in BTV for 200$
Old May 25, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ended up in E+ as a 1k. Reason that it seems quite low is that I got multiple ETCs worth more for less delay. Like 2hrs stuck in BTV for 200$
In the past year? Over recent years UA has raised the delay threshold, so if your BTV experience was recent, it is highly unusual.

If you want more, write in, UA may throw a bit more out to respond to a squeaky wheel if it is worth your time.

Compensation responses can be very inconsistent. $200 for wifi and $150 for a 4-hour delay ?????
But zero chance you are going to get 2x your BTV experience for 2x the delay.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:46 pm

Those experiences were mostly between Mid 18 and today. I didn't want to squeeze the last buck, I was rather wondering why the comps seem so inappropriate at times compared to others like your mentioned WIFi or IFE comps.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's not really about the seat you occupy, but what fare you paid. If you had a Y or a B ticket, you'll get more comp than with a K or a G fare. Status matters, with 1k being second highest on the pecking order after GS.

Those experiences were mostly between Mid 18 and today. I didn't want to squeeze the last buck, I was rather wondering why the comps seem so inappropriate at times compared to others like your mentioned WIFi or IFE comps.
Part of UA's comp calculation is intentionally random to make it harder for people to game the system. The same service failure will get different comp amounts at different times and dates.
And part of the calculus is that certain service lapses - like wifi are seen to matter more to high yielding business travelers - and thus comp for them is perceived to generate greater satisfaction among those who make more money for the airline.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:59 pm

... I was rather wondering why the comps seem so inappropriate at times compared to others like your mentioned WIFi or IFE comps.
One of the great mysteries of United

Reports suggest, the agent was guidelines based on the type of issue, severity (high. med. low), cabin & status -- severity rating obviously can vary depending on the agent but as UA generally does not provide comp for sub 3-4 hour delays, a 4-hour delay would generally be considered low.

Your $200 for 2-hour delay was the anomaly. And for some reason, considered other items more "important" than delays.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
It's not really about the seat you occupy, but what fare you paid. If you had a Y or a B ticket, you'll get more comp than with a K or a G fare. Status matters, with 1k being second highest on the pecking order after GS.

Part of UA's comp calculation is intentionally random to make it harder for people to game the system. The same service failure will get different comp amounts at different times and dates.
And part of the calculus is that certain service lapses - like wifi are seen to matter more to high yielding business travelers - and thus comp for them is perceived to generate greater satisfaction among those who make more money for the airline.
It certainly is random. This time I was travelling privately on a G fare. However, I would consider myself being quite a high yielding customer almost exclusively booking close-in into high fare classes (due to nature of my work). I was comp'd $150 for a 3,5h delay incl plane swap this past December on a TATL J fare. And like I said $200 for - if I remember correctly - a K or L fare (for a 1h15m flight). They probably also take into account the scheduled travel time calculating some sort of travel time/delay ratio.
So thanks everyone for not making me feel I am the only one confused here.

Last edited by mynolix; May 25, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Old May 25, 2019, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you were in J, it would have been $200, so $175 in Y sounds about right.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:16 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
GS on a D fare LAX > ORD last week. Flight was totally dark, no PDE/IFE/Wi-Fi. Landed to a United Cares e-mail for $125 e-cert.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
IFE had to be reset four times on a recent LAX-LHR flight. Was down about two hours.

When I landed, compensation email was already in inbox, but...

$25 e-cert or 1,200 miles.

Really...? (1K here)
Old May 27, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
IFE had to be reset four times on a recent LAX-LHR flight. Was down about two hours.

$25 e-cert or 1,200 miles.[left]Really...? (1K here)
While that is a bit low ball per the previous practice, it is probably close to it true economic value On a prorated based that would be evaluating the IFE portion of the ticket as $100+.

If IFE for that flight was an optional item, would you pay $100?? I would not.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

$25 e-cert or 1,200 miles.

Really...? (1K here)
The IFE was down for the last two hours of my ORD-PVG flight earlier this month. Just the right time for missing Channel 9 at landing. For one time that the Captain had put it on........ There was no compensation email in my inbox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.