Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
IME a non-rev yes, a passenger lower on the DG list and you're throwing the dice with how energetic the crew is feeling.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking another upgrader's seat. NRSA, that's simply the rule. They have to give up the seat for a revenue pax.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:11 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also try to check my seat function right after boarding.
Once you’re on the plane, wouldn’t the outcome be more or less the same with a seat in Y or $250 with the broken seat? IMO, the seats should get tested out before they board the flight so that they can get a volunteer and comp at the gate.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mr8
Once you’re on the plane, wouldn’t the outcome be more or less the same with a seat in Y or $250 with the broken seat?
No. As I stated, they will boot NRSA to make room for a rev pax with a broken seat. Also, if you pre-board or board with G1, the GAs may still be processing upgrades and thus have empty seats left. There's also the possibility of switching to a different flight. I wouldn't be surprised if UA gave more comp for that than for flying in a broken seat.

Originally Posted by mr8
IMO, the seats should get tested out before they board the flight so that they can get a volunteer and comp at the gate.
lol they don't even have time to clean the cabin properly. Total fantasyland.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My worry is always finding the seat in a degraded but still mostly-operable state, mentioning it to crew, and having them decide it cannot be occupied. On most flights with Polaris, flying in Y is simply not an option for me, so I'm risking not flying that day. But I may be over-indexing on the one time I mentioned that my cocktail tray on an E75 could slide all the way out (loose) and we took a 1h00 mx delay to get someone on the plane to remove the tray and write it up
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:35 pm

My worry is always finding the seat in a degraded but still mostly-operable state, mentioning it to crew, and having them decide it cannot be occupied.
I've had several B/E Diamond seats recently that reclined only with reluctance and much working of the controls. I agree, I would not complain unless it were completely nonfunctional.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:02 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
No. As I stated, they will boot NRSA to make room for a rev pax with a broken seat. Also, if you pre-board or board with G1, the GAs may still be processing upgrades and thus have empty seats left. There's also the possibility of switching to a different flight. I wouldn't be surprised if UA gave more comp for that than for flying in a broken seat.
That's assuming there is a non-rev and they follow the rules... But I'll be sure to check my seat pre-departure from now on. In the case that it's a full flight and you decide not to take the broken seat, do they treat it as a IRROPs as in hotel and next seat in C even if that is a partner airline?
lol they don't even have time to clean the cabin properly. Total fantasyland.
Too true! I've found menus from previous flights, half empty water bottles, and other such things in C. Come to think of it, they probably do a better job "cleaning" the economy cabin.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
In the case that it's a full flight and you decide not to take the broken seat, do they treat it as a IRROPs as in hotel and next seat in C even if that is a partner airline?
I don't believe it falls within any formal rule or policy. I'd view it as a negotiation/opportunity for positive customer service resolution.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:01 pm

What kind of compensation SHOULD I receive? What kind of compensation WILL I receive?
Literally every single reply was informative and I learned something , thank you. The scenario by which this is discovered preflight and therefore unusable resonated with me. I REALLY REALLY wanted to reach my destination that day. I would have been pushing back so hard in with my feet to make sure that thing didn't move a millimeter until airborne

Here's why I probably won't pursue this further. It is true that sometimes I really hate UA but this simply is not one of them. And lets be honest, I maximized Polaris Club twice, I ate their food and drink on the plane, I did get a good nights sleep in the bulk-head row with the wide foot area I definitely feel like 20k is very fair compensation and judging from the responses here this is indeed true. I actually prefer miles anyway. Finally, the Purser who handled the whole thing did so very nicely. Not sure what happens when a pax calls in but I would want to give anyone extra hassle or paperwork.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:24 pm

How long typical before I get a response from Premier Voice? Do they email or call?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tilhas
How long typical before I get a response from Premier Voice? Do they email or call?
If you wrote in they normally reply in about 24-36 hours in my experience.

Most of the time I received written reply’s, but about a month ago someone actually called me
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

$175 ETC for a pajama shortage (i.e. no pajamas at all) on EWR-NRT mid February.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:58 am

$75 ETC for non-functional DirecTV remote control in armrest. DCA-SFO in early March. My biggest annoyance was not that I couldn't change the channel, but that I was unable to turn off the screen.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Asking for comensation as gesture of good will?

Hello,
I would like to ask you for an advice on what is a reasonable request as a gesture of good will.
My flight couple days ago on United airlines from DEN to SFO was late 4h41m and return flight SFO to DEN was late 4h23min. Combined, the delays on one round trip 9h04 minutes. My status: Silver

When I talked to US rep she suggested to contact a customer service and ask for some kind of compensation. As I have never done it, I would like to ask your opinion what do you think is reasonable to ask for. It could be either a travel voucher or miles credit.
I am aware that unlike EU flight US airlines do not have any obligation to compensate, but its worth a try to ask.
Thank you.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boleslav
Hello,
I would like to ask you for an advice on what is a reasonable request as a gesture of good will.
My flight couple days ago on United airlines from DEN to SFO was late 4h41m and return flight SFO to DEN was late 4h23min. Combined, the delays on one round trip 9h04 minutes. My status: Silver

When I talked to US rep she suggested to contact a customer service and ask for some kind of compensation. As I have never done it, I would like to ask your opinion what do you think is reasonable to ask for. It could be either a travel voucher or miles credit.
I am aware that unlike EU flight US airlines do not have any obligation to compensate, but its worth a try to ask.
Thank you.
Yes. Go on the website and submit feedback for your delays. Usually, United offers miles or a dollar off voucher. I usually point out how inconvenienced I was as a result of the delays. You have a pretty strong case.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boleslav
Hello,
My flight couple days ago on United airlines from DEN to SFO was late 4h41m and return flight SFO to DEN was late 4h23min. Combined, the delays on one round trip 9h04 minutes...
Do you know what the reasons were for the delayed flights? If it was reasons for out of UA's control (weather for example), it'll be hard to get compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.