Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was proactively given 10k miles for the weekend where they lost everyone's 772 seat assignments and my 6A came back as 8J. Reposting in this thread since I was surprised nobody else reported anything similar.

Ended up flying in 1A Polaris, so no complaints here
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Paid for a Z fare on PDX-EWR-PDX. On the outbound I was the last to arrive at the gate and was informed that they had upgraded someone and they would not be able to get my seat back but I could take a seat in Y.

Sat in 7A. I wrote in requesting compensation and a refund for the fare difference. I received a call and was offered $250 compensation. That seems... low, for a transcon.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Paid for a Z fare on PDX-EWR-PDX. On the outbound I was the last to arrive at the gate and was informed that they had upgraded someone and they would not be able to get my seat back but I could take a seat in Y.

Sat in 7A. I wrote in requesting compensation and a refund for the fare difference. I received a call and was offered $250 compensation. That seems... low, for a transcon.
When did you arrive at the gate?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
When did you arrive at the gate?
The flight wasn't closed, they were trying to leave early for de-icing (which they didn't end up doing).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Feb 4. MCO-SFO - no WiFi or PDE for the nearly 6 hour flight. Nothing proactively offered - 1KVoice offered $150 - which I guess was ok since the round trip was $195 which gave me a whopping 869 award miles each way $79 PQM on the 2,500 mile flight.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
The flight wasn't closed, they were trying to leave early for de-icing (which they didn't end up doing).
Obviously, the flight wasn't closed or you wouldn't have gotten on. But the cutoff is that you must be at the gate at T-15 for a domestic flight. If you arrived at T-16, you have a case for compensation. If you arrived at T-14, IMO, you don't.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier
I was flying MCI->DEN in January. Due to a mechanical issue with the plane, the flight was delayed from 1:40 PM to a scheduled departure of 11:30 PM with an aircraft swap. I attempted to get out on standby on the only other flight (5:14 PM), but it did not clear (UA Gold, unfortunately). Due to late inbound aircraft, the flight did not end up boarding until 12:15 AM the next morning. 14 hours at the Kansas City airport is not my idea of fun. UnitedCares offered a whopping $100 ETC. I will be contacting United for more.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Obviously, the flight wasn't closed or you wouldn't have gotten on. But the cutoff is that you must be at the gate at T-15 for a domestic flight. If you arrived at T-16, you have a case for compensation. If you arrived at T-14, IMO, you don't.
And UA's records will show the time that OP was offloaded.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Was on UA949 yesterday, LHR-SFO, which at check-in was LHR-SFO, then by the time I had walked to the lounge at T2 (10 mins) the desk person said "ah, you are now going via Bangor, Maine, as one of the pilots called in sick so 2 pilots are only allowed to fly for up to 7 hours (I think that is what she said) so you will pick up a new crew in Bangor". Long story short we we were scheduled to get to SFO at 1230pm, got there at about 430pm, just in time for the evening commute. I have not looked at the compensation that they have offered as yet.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Was on UA949 yesterday, LHR-SFO, which at check-in was LHR-SFO, then by the time I had walked to the lounge at T2 (10 mins) the desk person said "ah, you are now going via Bangor, Maine, as one of the pilots called in sick so 2 pilots are only allowed to fly for up to 7 hours (I think that is what she said) so you will pick up a new crew in Bangor". Long story short we we were scheduled to get to SFO at 1230pm, got there at about 430pm, just in time for the evening commute. I have not looked at the compensation that they have offered as yet.
As this is ex-EU you are owed some EU261 compensation. However, whether your flight arrived 4h00m+ or 3h59m- late affects how much. If over 4 hours, you'll likely be offered EU 600 in cash or $900 ETC. Make sure to mention EU261 in your comp request.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-united-5.html
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
First time on this thread - I have been using Customer Care as a Plat and not Premier voice but here is what I got:

Offered a $200 ETC for my flight from SFO to IAH was delayed by 2 hours due to a cargo door issue, even required us to deplane and board again. Upon boarding a second time, we sat at the gate for an hour more, which made a lot of people miss connections, including myself; had we departed soon after replaning, I would have been fine.

Was forced to spend the night in IAH (on UA's dime of course) because the last flight to MCI for my connection already left. Stated that I was traveling for a family event and arriving a day late really was bad for the trip. Given that the one way fare for that was only $135 on a G fare, I'm pretty happy.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
As this is ex-EU you are owed some EU261 compensation. However, whether your flight arrived 4h00m+ or 3h59m- late affects how much. If over 4 hours, you'll likely be offered EU 600 in cash or $900 ETC. Make sure to mention EU261 in your comp request.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-united-5.html
Yup, don't worry about that, just haven't had the time to logon and have a look yet. Will report back here for reference. Thanks.

ETA: Sadly it would appear that I do not know my name as the computer says no when I enter it in any of the gobbledygook formats they tell me. On the boarding pass my name is:
LAST/ FIRSTMIDDLE
I have entered it many different ways and it will not have it. This really should not be this difficult and their instructions are not very clear:
  • Please make sure your first and last name are entered the same way they’re displayed on your boarding pass. Sometimes your middle name and/or title may be combined with your first name, such as Johnlee (instead of John Lee), Johnmr (instead of Mr. John), or Johnleemr (instead of Mr. John Lee).
  • Please make sure your first name and last name are not transposed (use Smith JohnLee instead of JohnLee Smith).
What on earth I am doing wrong is beyond me.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Yup, don't worry about that, just haven't had the time to logon and have a look yet. Will report back here for reference. Thanks.

ETA: Sadly it would appear that I do not know my name as the computer says no when I enter it in any of the gobbledygook formats they tell me. On the boarding pass my name is:
LAST/ FIRSTMIDDLE
I have entered it many different ways and it will not have it. This really should not be this difficult and their instructions are not very clear:
  • Please make sure your first and last name are entered the same way they’re displayed on your boarding pass. Sometimes your middle name and/or title may be combined with your first name, such as Johnlee (instead of John Lee), Johnmr (instead of Mr. John), or Johnleemr (instead of Mr. John Lee).
  • Please make sure your first name and last name are not transposed (use Smith JohnLee instead of JohnLee Smith).
What on earth I am doing wrong is beyond me.
Have you tried something like MrJohnL, or JohnL (if your first name is John and middle name is Lee) for your first name? I think that's usually how mine is concatenated. Good luck!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Have you tried something like MrJohnL, or JohnL (if your first name is John and middle name is Lee) for your first name? I think that's usually how mine is concatenated. Good luck!
I hadn't as there is no "Mr" on my BP. I have now. Computer says no still ! I will look later as I am losing the will to live.........
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LAST/ FIRSTMIDDLE
I suspect UA is making it deliberately difficult to obtain comp. All they should need is your PNR and MP number

In any event, I would contact UA directly to request the EU261 comp. That's going to be separate from whatever is offered on the customer care website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.