Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: CO Plat
15 hour delay but nothing from Customer Care

Short version: traveling BOS-QRO 10/20. 6315 IAH-QRO had a mechanical and two subsequent replacement planes also went tech. Ultimately a 15 hour delay but nothing from Customer Care. My no-status partner recently experienced a similar delay and was proactively offered a $300 voucher. Is this worth pursuing and if so, is there a recommended route? United Cares link rejecting flight info.

Slightly longer version: Delay due to mechanical on 6315 announced after scheduled departure time at 6.23pm. Gate agent announced problem resolved at around 7.30pm but that she was going off shift and that another agent would arrive shortly for boarding. An hour passed. Eventually asked agent at adjoining gate to look into it and an agent finally appeared and announced that plane had gone out of service - new gate new plane. Replacement plane then went tech. Third gate, third plane. Another agent went off shift announcing there were now mechanical issues on third plane. Only info at this point via app. At 9.45pm flight disappeared from departure board altogether, so went to Customer Service Center and was rebooked onto next mornings flight. Original flight departed 15 hours late, arriving at around the same time as the flight I switched to. United Cares link says 'The flight verification information entered was not valid'. I'd be less irritated if this wasn't the third United flight in three weeks where I've had significant mechanical delays with not a word from United. Any advice gratefully received.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by penelope
Short version: traveling BOS-QRO 10/20. 6315 IAH-QRO had a mechanical and two subsequent replacement planes also went tech. Ultimately a 15 hour delay but nothing from Customer Care. My no-status partner recently experienced a similar delay and was proactively offered a $300 voucher. Is this worth pursuing and if so, is there a recommended route? United Cares link rejecting flight info. .....
Yes, you should have received something. The multiple cancellations may have confused the system.
Just sent a note via the UA customer service messaging system or the email on the back of your MP card (unclear what status you have as your FT profile is dated).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, you should have received something. The multiple cancellations may have confused the system.
Just sent a note via the UA message system or the email on the back of your MP card (unclear what status you have as your FT profile is dated).
Thanks. Will do. Am Gold. Thanks for the reminder to update!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
On SFO to NRT (In Polaris Cabin) wifi went out after 45 minutes on the plane. I was refunded my purchase (33.99) and given an $200 ETC.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just sent a note via the UA customer service messaging system or the email on the back of your MP card (unclear what status you have as your FT profile is dated).
Am going round in circles here - customer service directed back to United Cares even after explaining it wasn't working - and still getting message 'The flight verification information entered was not valid.'

Any ideas how to escalate?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JetSet05
On SFO to NRT (In Polaris Cabin) wifi went out after 45 minutes on the plane. I was refunded my purchase (33.99) and given an $200 ETC.
Buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket today. I have had that issue too many times to count and usually just get the refund of the purchase. Maybe once a couple of years ago I got a $50 ETC on a TPAC flight but usually nothing. I have called and emailed UA CS but nada.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I have had that issue too many times to count
This shows up in UA's CS tool. At some point, you get labeled a serial complainant and the offers start to go away. I remember seeing a similar post by another user.

I'd expect most people to get comp for a first complaint; it's the nth complaint where you're in "buy a lottery ticket" territory.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
This shows up in UA's CS tool. At some point, you get labeled a serial complainant and the offers start to go away. I remember seeing a similar post by another user.

I'd expect most people to get comp for a first complaint; it's the nth complaint where you're in "buy a lottery ticket" territory.
I write in whenever the WiFi doesn't work. However when I do write in to Customer Care, I specifically call out that the intent of the note is to provide feedback on improving their service. I have stopped asking for compensation, however they keep giving it to me. My last roundtrip between SFO and DEN was on a 787-8 and a 757-2. No internet on either flight - United sent me a $150 ETC.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:03 pm

Short version: traveling BOS-QRO 10/20. 6315 IAH-QRO had a mechanical and two subsequent replacement planes also went tech. Ultimately a 15 hour delay but nothing from Customer Care. My no-status partner recently experienced a similar delay and was proactively offered a $300 voucher. Is this worth pursuing and if so, is there a recommended route? United Cares link rejecting flight info.
So I just got an email from Customer Care offering me $200 ETC for a 15 hour delay with 3 separate mechanicals - will drop it at this point but it does seem odd that they would offer a Gold less than a no-status passenger for a similar delay.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I write in whenever the WiFi doesn't work. However when I do write in to Customer Care, I specifically call out that the intent of the note is to provide feedback on improving their service. I have stopped asking for compensation, however they keep giving it to me. My last roundtrip between SFO and DEN was on a 787-8 and a 757-2. No internet on either flight - United sent me a $150 ETC.
$175 ETC for broken WiFi of PVG-SFO, as 1K. This was a proactive offer from United Care. FA asked every pax on this flight to go to United.com/unitedcare site to get compensation.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So I just got an email from Customer Care offering me $200 ETC for a 15 hour delay with 3 separate mechanicals - will drop it at this point but it does seem odd that they would offer a Gold less than a no-status passenger for a similar delay.
There is a lottery aspect to cs compensation.

I might reply politely pointing out that others on the flight with no status got more, and that you're disappointed UA doesn't seem to value your status or lost time. Might or might not work.

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I write in whenever the WiFi doesn't work.
I just request a refund via the "refunds" webform. Assume I'm leaving money on the table but I really just want my money back. I'm pretty sure UA already knows its wifi is only about 50% (or less) functional.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is a lottery aspect to cs compensation.
I just request a refund via the "refunds" webform. Assume I'm leaving money on the table but I really just want my money back. I'm pretty sure UA already knows its wifi is only about 50% (or less) functional.
I am far from a serial complainer as someone else suggested. I basically do the same now by filling out the refund form. If they throw a ETC at me fine but I certainly don't grovel for it and in fact I now no longer expect it. But yes given, and I agree, that the wifi is no more than 50% functional I do want my charge credit back for sure.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Did experience continously restarting IFE through the first 2 hours + non working reading lights the whole flight on GIG-IAH. Comp. was 150$ with Premier Gold, 100$ without status - not too bad.

Crew notified us proactive before landing and also got an email adivising me to visit unitedcare.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by AI93
Good to know - thanks. I got in touch with them via Messenger as well today and apparently I should hear regarding compensation within 7 working days, so we'll see...
Managed to reach a satisfactory conclusion on this!
I reached out to the team running the United Messenger account who were excellent. They got in touch with Customer Care who've now apologised and offered a $150 e-voucher.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Portable water!

This is probably not the first time that UA gives compensation for the lack of portable water. But it is the first time for me. Basically, there was no coffee or tea served for the arrival meal after 13 h on air. The toilet flushing water was still available, but you could not wash your hand afterwards. Anyway, FA made multiple announcements, asking pax to go to United.com/unitedcare site to lessen the disappointment. I bet that a lot of pax would be disappointed by being offered $10-15 Vouchers. I got 1250 miles (or $25 Voucher) as 1K.
Happy travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.