Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Regarding flight 222 yesterday, here's the info from the United flight status website. According to this info, it wasn't a weather related delay, but due to a "late inbound aircraft", so the fact that there may have been weather at ORD (or maybe the OP was implying the weather was in SFO because that's where the plane came from?) may just be a coincidence.
...?

If the inbound plane was late due to bad weather somewhere earlier in the day, UA will classify it as a weather delay. They put up the "late inbound plane" message to try to limit the number of people who tell respond with, "what do you mean, bad weather? It's gorgeous outside." Operational Difficulties can also include weather -- ATC issues are lumped in there, and so are crew scheduling issues -- when the crew itself may have been delayed due to weather.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by jsloan
...?

If the inbound plane was late due to bad weather somewhere earlier in the day, UA will classify it as a weather delay. They put up the "late inbound plane" message to try to limit the number of people who tell respond with, "what do you mean, bad weather? It's gorgeous outside." Operational Difficulties can also include weather -- ATC issues are lumped in there, and so are crew scheduling issues -- when the crew itself may have been delayed due to weather.
OK, maybe I have to dig deeper...maybe there's some more proof here that it wasn't weather related? The flight from SFO to ORD (flight 734) arrived at SFO at 5:03pm on June 25, so it had been on the ground roughly 12 hours before it was scheduled to depart for ORD. And, looking at the weather report for San Francisco (granted, it's not for the SFO airport specifically, but I can't imagine it would be all that different), here's what I found. It looks like it was relatively clear (10 mile vis) and only "passing clouds" at the scheduled 5:35am departure time.

Maybe there was weather somewhere else that stopped the crew from getting into SFO the night before?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, maybe I have to dig deeper...maybe there's some more proof here that it wasn't weather related? The flight from SFO to ORD (flight 734) arrived at SFO at 5:03pm on June 25, so it had been on the ground roughly 12 hours before it was scheduled to depart for ORD. And, looking at the weather report for San Francisco (granted, it's not for the SFO airport specifically, but I can't imagine it would be all that different), here's what I found. It looks like it was relatively clear (10 mile vis) and only "passing clouds" at the scheduled 5:35am departure time.

Maybe there was weather somewhere else that stopped the crew from getting into SFO the night before?
Actually, anyone who ever attended -- or even watched -- a Giants game at Candlestick could tell you that the peninsula is a collection of microclimates that have little relation to one another. It's entirely possible that SFO was a mess while the city itself was fine.

There was weather Sunday at Newark that potentially could have caused downline timeouts.

Ultimately, you're unlikely to be able to trace this back to its source without access to UA's systems.

Back on topic, I was on a flight this weekend that was delayed overnight due to Newark weather and then a crew timeout. The delay was initially coded as weather, but by the next morning, UA had changed it to "late inbound crew" and provided proactive compensation. I was stunned.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't have anything conclusive to say about the 222/734/wx/mx/ops question, but I will just say my experience is that when planes spend more than 10 hours at an airport, they seem more likely to post a delay on their first subsequent flight. If that is the case, I am guessing it's that some sort of maint. that doesn't get fully finished or somehow fixes one thing while causing another to pop up.

Would love to see some real data on whether or not that observation is actually true, though.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
WX at SFO was fine that day, the inbound was coded late as "OPERATIONS" and unclear exactly what the cause was beyond that. It was swapped 753 -> 752 -> 77W, so despite the fact that the frame was at SFO for quite a while, it could have been any number of factors that led to the final swap. And it also could have been delayed leaving by an ORD GDP. So who knows.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise UA FT Sages,

ORD-TPA in paid First Class, both of us are 1Ks and the plane (737-900) had non-functioning IFE-Streaming Video which they announced as we were lined up to board.

I was invited to take the survey after the flight and mentioned the non-working IFE. After three days I got no feedback from UA. I emailed 1KVoice to complain today (6/27). Is 1KVoice still functioning ? I ask as I usually get an email acknowledging my email with a case number within a half an hour. However that did not happen today.

Does a broken IFE on a Domestic Flight even rate a response/goodwill compensation from United these days ?

Your keen responses are appreciated.
Emailed 1KVoice and a nice lady at United called me, apologized for the shortcoming and emailed both me and Mrs. Gpicur UA TCs for $150.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Recent flight from IAH-PHX had broken power outlet for my seat. Submitted feedback via the contact us web form to let United know about the problem. I didn't specifically ask for compensation but received 2k miles.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
No Wi-Fi on SFO-BOS-SFO (yes both ways) and no in flight entertainment on the BOS-SFO flight either. These are long runs +5 hours where I needed Wi-Fi for work so very PO'ed about the lost time and constant boredom on the flight. Is it better to email customer care as stated in the above wiki or call? My wife paid for Wi-Fi on her flight so she is calling for refund (different flight same route). Anybody know why that flight seems to have regular issues with Wi-Fi connectivity?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Emailed per wiki above received automated return type email back stating I would be contacted by CS agent later. Will report back of compensation, if any.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
No Wi-Fi on SFO-BOS-SFO (yes both ways) and no in flight entertainment on the BOS-SFO flight either. These are long runs +5 hours where I needed Wi-Fi for work so very PO'ed about the lost time and constant boredom on the flight. Is it better to email customer care as stated in the above wiki or call? My wife paid for Wi-Fi on her flight so she is calling for refund (different flight same route). Anybody know why that flight seems to have regular issues with Wi-Fi connectivity?
Sending an email to 1K Voices will work, too. The texts here are perfect. The Wi-Fi refund can be done with online form.
Good luck.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:41 am

What is fair compensation

My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. They could have gotten me out on the 13th - different route (longer-thru hk) but was not offered it and did not find out about it until to late to get to airport. Was only offered the flight for 7/15. Customer care offered 15K or $300 e-cert. It was a paid business class seat and I am global services. That seems light?? What is fair. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bobosing
My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. They could have gotten me out on the 13th - different route (longer-thru hk) but was not offered it and did not find out about it until to late to get to airport. Was only offered the flight for 7/15. Customer care offered 15K or $300 e-cert. It was a paid business class seat and I am global services. That seems light?? What is fair. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA
Very light comp indeed. And for GS, I'd hope that hotel and meals would be reimbursed, if not offered.
I'd send in receipts when the trip is concluded, and also suggest that the $300 comp. for a lost day was disappointing, given how much you'd spent on your ticket. If they can't do better for GS, then god help the rest of us!

Last edited by transportprof; Jul 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bobosing
Very sad to think this is the current state of affairs. If today's MEL-LAX was cancelled because the LAX-MEL flight was cancelled and did not arrive, then UA had ample time to make alternate arrangements, espc. for GS / paid business class pax. Surely those arrangements might include MEL-SYD-LAX or QF MEL-LAX. A $300 e-cert is certainly modest compensation, but it is the same as I received a while ago for a roughly similar delay situation. I am only 1K though.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
PremierVoice only lets you select current/future dates?

I am trying to contact PremierVoice (regarding a WiFi issue in which there was no proactive compensation offered) through the link in the Wiki above, and when I get there, the Ticket Details section asks for flight number, date, etc, but I can only select today's date, or any date in the future. Is my web browser not loading that page correctly, or is the page broken? I need to be able to select Friday as the date of my flight. Do I just need to contact Customer Care instead?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am trying to contact PremierVoice (regarding a WiFi issue in which there was no proactive compensation offered) through the link in the Wiki above, and when I get there, the Ticket Details section asks for flight number, date, etc, but I can only select today's date, or any date in the future.
same here, appears someone set the wrong flag

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.