Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by erikanash
Hi guys, new here. I flew united in January and have been requesting compensation for what feels like years. I would love advice on what I should realistically expect given my soon to be mentioned circumstances-my experiences were not good and I have been in contact with united about this far too many times for my liking via phone, twitter, and email..

My flight was from Minneapolis to Dublin with a layover in Newark. I ended up being stuck on the tarmac in MSP for 4 hours. Two mechanical issues, three de icings, and a gas up later we took off. I had not a single united employee on that flight that was able to direct me towards my next steps if I did indeed miss my connecting flight. I went to my usual gate-the plane was gone and was shuffled around by every single united employee I spoke with (at least 6 different people in different areas), I actually had a woman tell me " I have better things to do and I am going to be awhile (as she is about to help one guest), you need to go to the other service area." So I did and the line was insane so I headed back to this original one, she then shouted over her customer "You really should take care of this on the phone, its better if you call." So I did this while waiting in line-explained my situation via tele and was told I needed to take care of this in person. I also requested compensation at this time and it never actually happened. I eventually did get taken care of by another employee and was spoken maybe one sentence to the whole time. I had to ask what she was doing (I asked kindly I promise) and when I requested food vouchers for my time I was ignored. She handed me my ticket and I shuffled to the gate as quickly as I could. Turns out my 13 hour travel destination turned into a 24 hour one and I had an extra layover in London LHR. While I am very appreciative I made it there, the amount of money I had to spend rearranging my entire evening was an upwards of $300+ and I was offered one thing and one thing only after talking with 8+ united employees and it was a $50 miles voucher. I have the choice to fly whomever and have dealt with delays before that have been less severe and have received significantly higher compensation. The lack of education, the attitude, hours lost, and inconveniences this cost me deserves more then a $50 miles voucher. That is not enough to make me want to fly United ever again. I am reaching out in hopes of better compensation-even if its more mileage.

Any help on what to do would be super appreciated. I have emailed called and tweeted (mostly emails at this point as they turn me down on the phone).

Thank you all Kindly for listening!

Welcome to Flyertalk! Sometimes phoning in is not the most appropriate, I find a short concise friendly note to the contact us form on the website will yield the best results. Seems like you've had many touches with United and in this case if you want to close this I would write a letter to one of the executive contacts in the wiki above (Again short concise friendly) and perhaps they will sweeten the offer. Im unsure of your status with United and that plays a significant factor in how they handle these queries.Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: delta united
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If multiple contacts yielded only the $50 offer, that’s probably all you’re going to get at this point. It sounds like most of the initial delay was weather-related (i.e., the three de-icings).

How much did you pay for the ticket?

hi there! Thanks for the response! I paid 625$ for the ticket to dublin (higher then prices normally this time of year)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
$150 ETC, IAH-NRT Business, aircraft ran out of water (no hot drinks/snacks, sink water) and did not get pre ordered meal. Fair or no?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
$150 ETC, IAH-NRT Business, aircraft ran out of water (no hot drinks/snacks, sink water) and did not get pre ordered meal. Fair or no?
I personally think that's a little bit light . Did the flight attendant use the app on the aircraft or did you write it?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I personally think that's a little bit light . Did the flight attendant use the app on the aircraft or did you write it?
I wrote it in but I think they can verify a lot of people wrote in they ran out of water less than half way into the flight.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:15 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Just flew EWR-PHX last night. Seated in 7D and entire row was told to move to back of the plane due to weight issue. While I had 32DEF to myself i had no power on a 5+ hr flight as well as being smashed into reg economy (picked bulkhead E+ for a reason). Also had to sit behind a serial farter for the entire trip, although this is not United's fault and one FA and I had a laugh about it

Received $200 from FA app selection (choice of that or 10k miles). FA's were very apologetic and friendly thoughout the flight. They comp'd me a couple of Titos and tonics as well as offered anything off BoB or snack menu.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Just flew EWR-PHX last night. Seated in 7D and entire row was told to move to back of the plane due to weight issue. While I had 32DEF to myself i had no power on a 5+ hr flight as well as being smashed into reg economy (picked bulkhead E+ for a reason). Also had to sit behind a serial farter for the entire trip, although this is not United's fault and one FA and I had a laugh about it

Received $200 from FA app selection (choice of that or 10k miles). FA's were very apologetic and friendly thoughout the flight. They comp'd me a couple of Titos and tonics as well as offered anything off BoB or snack menu.
The entire row 32 is better than 7D lol.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Just flew EWR-PHX last night. Seated in 7D and entire row was told to move to back of the plane due to weight issue.
What type of a/c was it? I have had this happen on RJs many times, but I'm surprised moving a few bulkhead pax would make a difference on a 738, etc.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-EWR in business. Found the seat to be broken after takeoff. FA punched it into the handheld and UA offered $400 ETC or 20,000 miles. If I remember correctly, in addition to classifying the issue, the FA could also choose the severity. She wanted confirmation and asked "that seems severe right?" while looking at a list of options. Both offers were quite high and similar to the old days. 1MM Gold.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
What type of a/c was it? I have had this happen on RJs many times, but I'm surprised moving a few bulkhead pax would make a difference on a 738, etc.
I've seen 737s moved around for W&B when essentially every pax is in the forward half of the plane (common when everyone is an elite). They'll move the first several rows of E+ and everyone gets a row to themselves in the back.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:31 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
The entire row 32 is better than 7D lol.
I'm not a fan of trying to lay across the seats, I don't find it comfortable. I'd rather recline slightly and stretch my legs (A320 bulkhead doesn't have a hard partition at the bottom).

Also no power in E-
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
A320.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: United 1P
KOA to SFO 2017-02-26, no in-flight entertainment or wifi. I was offered $175 ETC (which I took) or 8750 miles. If they hadn't announced that it wasn't working I don't think I would have even noticed.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:11 pm

Maj-hnl 15 hour delay, no hotels available. $300 or 15,000 miles.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
ORD-YYZ, UA 843 last week. 3 hour delay, plus 45 minutes for first bag fro our flight to be at the belt (2 other UA flights arriving after us had bags on the belt before ours).

Received $75 (x 3 - one for each pax on the itinerary - 2 silver and 1 no status), though requested $150 each, hoping I would get $100. Was shocked though, that I sent in to Feedback on Friday afternoon, and the rep. processing called (left voicemail - I couldn't pick up) the following morning, along with an email explanation. She said that anything under 4 hours doesn't get comp, but she could only do it because of the additional baggage delay (funnily enough, about a year ago, 45 minutes for the first bag at YYZ wouldn't be that far beyond the average wait, but things have really improved there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.