United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 6, 18, 9:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mpiotrow
Wiki Link
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Want to see how your compensation compares to what others have received? @j2simpso created a United Compensation Spreadsheet

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website / united.com/unitedcares ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 28, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
I really need help understanding the following:

3 weeks ago I SDC'd a flight EWR-IAD to EWR-BTV-IAD: BTV-IAD was delayed about 2h due to maintenance. I wrote to customer care and they issued a 200$ ETC (Fare class T)
This past saturday I had a flight EWR-MUC in P with a 3h45min delay. They had to replace a nav antenna on the plane (back to gate from tarmac) and we eventually were swapped into another plane. Wrote in and got 150$.

I'm not saying I expect 100s of $ for compensation, but this really seems a little odd to me. Your thoughts?
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mynolix View Post

3 weeks ago I SDC'd a flight EWR-IAD to EWR-BTV-IAD: BTV-IAD was delayed about 2h due to maintenance. I wrote to customer care and they issued a 200$ ETC (Fare class T)
This past saturday I had a flight EWR-MUC in P with a 3h45min delay. They had to replace a nav antenna on the plane (back to gate from tarmac) and we eventually were swapped into another plane. Wrote in and got 150$.

I'm not saying I expect 100s of $ for compensation, but this really seems a little odd to me. Your thoughts?
My initial thought is that I'm surprised you were given ANY compensation for the 2hr delay, much less $200!
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mynolix View Post

The algorithm probably noted you received a generous $200 ETC for only a 2 hour delay - and gives a lower one when the timeframe is so short.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
$75 ETC for wifi not working on my NRT > SFO flight a couple of weeks back. I thought that was low, given that a SIN > SFO flight last year received a $200 ETC for similar issue. I was on a 1k status challenge when I received the $200 and am sitting at about 5k PQD now, so that might explain it.
Old Dec 1, 18, 9:40 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
AVOD, overhead light and call button not working on my P fare HKG-SFO flight. FA tried about 6 times to fix it, including me having to leave my seat so she could reset something. But nothing she tried worked. WiFi also did not work. She came back to my seat with her phone and she had already selected “Severe” and my choice was $500 ETC or 25000 miles. I didn’t get the email until after landing since the WiFi wasn’t working.
Buzzman likes this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by DNPierson1 View Post
$75 ETC for wifi not working on my NRT > SFO flight a couple of weeks back. I thought that was low, given that a SIN > SFO flight last year received a $200 ETC for similar issue.
I would say the $200 you received previously was ridiculously high. Overall, I think we're better served if there's logic and consistency to the comp that is doled out for various failings. I don't like seeing one person get $200 for no wifi, and another $75 for a 5 hour delay.
bakster21 and joe_miami like this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.3 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
AVOD, overhead light and call button not working on my P fare HKG-SFO flight. FA tried about 6 times to fix it, including me having to leave my seat so she could reset something. But nothing she tried worked. WiFi also did not work.
Hope they at least had steady flow of alcohol with no AVOD and no Wifi.
Old Dec 3, 18, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade View Post
Hope they at least had steady flow of alcohol with no AVOD and no Wifi.
The FAs were attentive, as the purser advised them my call button didn't work. Sometimes I felt a little ridiculous waving to get their attention, but it worked out. I just listened to music and tried to sleep, but I wasn't able to. UA's AVOD usually puts me to sleep.
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC
Compensation For Cancelled Flight

I was on UA1 (SFO-SIN) on Tuesday, but they cancelled the flight due to lack of crew. What kind of compensation, if any, could I possibly expect to receive?

United gave me a hotel voucher, but said they didn't actually have any rooms, so I can receive $150 in lieu of that (we will see what hoops I will have to jump through to get that). They rebooked me on Delta SFO-SEA-NRT-SIN, so I got to SIN one day later, turning a 24 hour journey into a 40+ hour one. Anyway, this was my first ever experience on United.
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mavatar View Post
I was on UA1 (SFO-SIN) on Tuesday, but they cancelled the flight due to lack of crew. What kind of compensation, if any, could I possibly expect to receive?
Lously situation when that happens,

In your case, yes UA will likely provide some compensation. Typically it is automatic if they have your email, however, changing to another carrier sometimes disrupts that. It will be in the form of a voucher for a discount on a future flight or UA miles. Just submit a note about your displeasure at UA Customer Care. The amount will depend on your cabin and your UA status (none).

Given that recovery routing, i would have probably stayed with UA and taken the next UA flight. Might have taken a few extra hours but with 2 connections a bunch of things could have gone wrong

There is a long thread about on an issue the day before that may be related - UA 2, SIN-SFO, 3 Dec 2018, with planned stop in HNL
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I would guess $200-300 travel certificate or 10-15,000 miles.

No seats available on SQ, NH (via NRT), OZ (via ICN), or BR (via TPE)?
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:06 am

Traveling SIN -> SFO -> SEA (one PNR) as a 1k. I was originally booked for a Saturday morning flight, 1k phone agent offered to put me on Friday night flight to get me home earlier. After the call, I get a text that the Friday night flight had been delayed for 14 hours, leaving ~3 hours after my original flight. After an hour, 1K desk was unable to put me back on the original flight or on a partner flight, or really do anything.

Would you all ask for a bump to business, points, or something else? If points, how many?
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:03 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
United Compensation Spreadsheet Update

Hey FTers,

Just thought I'd let you folks know I've updated the United Compensation spreadsheet up to this point. Apologies for updates to the spreadsheet being on hiatus for several months - I've been busy working on my Masters in the UK and only today found time to catch up at of all places a UC!

In addition to the Compensation spreadsheet, there are several other resources I have developed this year:

United gave me a hotel voucher, but said they didn't actually have any rooms, so I can receive $150 in lieu of that (we will see what hoops I will have to jump through to get that). They rebooked me on Delta SFO-SEA-NRT-SIN, so I got to SIN one day later, turning a 24 hour journey into a 40+ hour one. Anyway, this was my first ever experience on United.
At the very least I would expect UA to give you ORC on the SIN flight to ensure you get the requisite PQMs/RDMs from the flight.

Safe Travels,

James
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Dec 7, 18, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Not sure if it was United or a larger IAH problem, but waited 60-70 minutes for my bag a few days ago. (Ditto for the other pax on my flight and on a bunch of others around that same time.) Haven’t written in all year; curious if people would do so for this and, if so, what they’d expect. Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, USdbaAA EXP
ORD-LAX
December 5, 2018
UA1052
7:39p-10:14p sked
8:50p-11:39p actual
First Class

I complained online about the APU-caused delay and the in-op 2L lav causing a steady flow of Y pax to the F lav. Also no wifi for the last half of the flight.
Just received a call from a pleasant CS rep at "corporate offices". Nice conversation resulting in a refund of Wifi fee, 5,000 miles and $200 ETC.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: