United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 8, 22, 10:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 22, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Js715 View Post
I booked a round trip business class ticket from Chicago to warsaw. Then a ticket from Chicago to Omaha.
Separate tickets? You are unfortunately entitled to nothing. 1 hr late into ORD does not amount to anything, I am sorry. If your bags are extremely delayed and you are 'not home' you can claim 'first needs' as in 'buy some necessities' and LH will reimburse you. as presumably that was the problem.

They are not even required to help you with your 'other ticket', but UA will do that if all is booked on UA as a courtesy. It is rough, but that is what is amounts to when you book separate tickets.

Hope you got home and bags will only be 1 day late. The most you can probably hope for at this point.

Last edited by cfischer; Jun 5, 22 at 7:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 22, 6:22 pm

Oof.

Is it worth mentioning any of the junkiness of the polaris flight? It was just such a substandard experience at a high price point.
Old Jun 5, 22, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Oof.

Is it worth mentioning any of the junkiness of the polaris flight? It was just such a substandard experience at a high price point.
$4k? That is cheap. What is the high price point?

Be clear what you write in about and make that be substantive. For example the bags did not make it and the inconvenience this caused. Minor stuff won't do you any good.
Old Jun 6, 22, 9:09 am

Programs: AA PPRO, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
TL;DR: Booked partner J award ticket with UA miles operated by AC. Things went seriously sideways due to MX resulting in missed connections and a lost bag (eventually showed up 4 days later). I know that according to Montreal Convention, delayed baggage compensation claims must be filed with the last operating carrier (we were rebooked on TP), but any advice on who to complain to regarding the MX issue and horrible customer service? Does United ever issue compensation for partner J tickets booked with UA miles?
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
  • I have no idea, I rarely ask for comp and it's been years since the last time
  • I kept my UA routing and re-booked the connection for the next day (the connecting flight was non*A but same ticket).
  • The flight was Eastbound and was forced to overnight at AMS (only one flight a day to the final destination and no realistic or better alternatives).
  • Zero comp offered (at least nothing received in my inbox in the past 4 days)
  • About 18 hours before ETD, the UA app offered options for earlier flights that would have required connections via ORD/EWR/IAD but I did not accept as IMO they would not necessarily have prevented the misconnect (i.e. the ORD flight was cancelled the prior day)
I think I'd be fine with 10k miles or a $150 flight credit received by GMT4
Did UA Pay for a room and incidental expenses for the overnight room at AMS? If so, I would briefly write into Customer Service (do not give them a value that youre looking for) and simply state Your reasons for dissatisfaction. If they didnt pay for a room send in your receipts and incidental expenses and request reimbursement for those as well. Good luck, and keep us posted how things turn out
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
TL;DR: Booked partner J award ticket with UA miles operated by AC. Things went seriously sideways due to MX resulting in missed connections and a lost bag (eventually showed up 4 days later). I know that according to Montreal Convention, delayed baggage compensation claims must be filed with the last operating carrier (we were rebooked on TP), but any advice on who to complain to regarding the MX issue and horrible customer service? Does United ever issue compensation for partner J tickets booked with UA miles?
You should complain with either AC or TP, depends on which airline had the lack of good customer service. UA will not compensate you.

Oof.

Still unclear what was substandard, other than some scuffing. Did the chair not recline, or one of the broken plastic part poked you?
rucksack likes this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Still unclear what was substandard, other than some scuffing. Did the chair not recline, or one of the broken plastic part poked you?
OP mentioned that it was dirty as well. That's gross and to me warrants mention. The least I expect when flying in any class is a clean seat and area, never mind if it's J and I paid $4k cash for it. It might be cheap to you but it's still plenty of money.
Old Jun 7, 22, 7:05 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
OP mentioned that it was dirty as well. That's gross and to me warrants mention. The least I expect when flying in any class is a clean seat and area, never mind if it's J and I paid $4k cash for it. It might be cheap to you but it's still plenty of money.
OP mentioned that there were crumbs, but did not elaborate further, hence why I asked the follow-up question.

And no, I did not say anything about the price.
Old Jun 7, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
And no, I did not say anything about the price.
My apologies, I realized now that it was another poster who had said $4k was cheap; it wasn't you. My bad for not checking that prior to responding.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Oof.

Your initial post is confusing. It reads as if all the flights from ORD to Warsaw and back were LH and then you had a separate ticket to Omaha on United. I'm assuming you were re-booked on a UA flight from FRA to ORD? Your experience in United's Polaris (if my assumption was right) is unfortunately not atypical. Unless you have a real complaint other than "scruffy" and "crumbs", very little compensation can be expected. A little more can be gotten if seat didn't recline or in-flight entertainment system didn't work or a couple of lavatories - something that was supposed to work, but didn't. Max $150 travel certificate. Polaris Lounge closes at 9 - were they supposed to keep it open for you. If you were on a LH flight into Chicago, you wouldn't have gotten Polaris Lounge access at all. Lost bag rules require the last airline in possesion of it to get it to you. In the meantime, you're entiled to claim any expenses you incurred due to lost bag - toothbrush, etc. Pretty good fare for round-trip in Business. Any expense due to missed connection on a separate ticket is solely on you, not United.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 7, 22 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 8, 22, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
A little more can be gotten if seat didn't recline or in-flight entertainment system didn't work or a couple of lavatories - something that was supposed to work, but didn't. Max $150 travel certificate.
I'd be pretty pissed if I only got $150 for broken IFE or a non-reclining seat on a long-haul J flight.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Lost bag rules require the last airline in possesion of it to get it to you.
Isn't it the last operating carrier on the ticket that's responsible? So, let's say Lufthansa mishandled the bag but United operated the last segment. United would be responsible for paying the passenger's claims (and then could potentially recover some of the cost from the upline carrier that mishandled the bag, according to their interline agreement).
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be pretty pissed if I only got $150 for broken IFE or a non-reclining seat on a long-haul J flight.
UA may not be the airline for you. Compensation may go slightly higher for a non-reclining seat. It's based on status, though; a GS or 1K member will get more for the same inconvenience than a no-status passenger will.

Isn't it the last operating carrier on the ticket that's responsible? So, let's say Lufthansa mishandled the bag but United operated the last segment. United would be responsible for paying the passenger's claims (and then could potentially recover some of the cost from the upline carrier that mishandled the bag, according to their interline agreement).
Yes, and no. On a single ticket, it's unambiguously the responsibility of the last delivering carrier to handle all claims. On multiple tickets, if the bag is checked through, it's somewhat less clear. However, since it sounds like OP flew UA to Chicago and then onward to Omaha, it would be UA's responsibility either way.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Just to add a somewhat unusual DP. On a recent domestic flight in F, I was served a drink in a broken glass. I didnt notice until I went to grab it and cut my hand on it. I was proactively given some bandaids and 5k miles.
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:07 pm

United Sent me a Credit, How Can I Figure Out Which Flight it Relates to?

I recently flew RT on UA from SFO to AMS.

The outbound flight was a mess - left 2.5 hours late because there were no cleaners to clean the plane, then at AMS they went to a remote stand which caused another 30 minute delay to wait for a bus to the terminal.

The flight back was fine, but the entertainment system did not work, and the flight attendants kept announcing that people should contact United for compensation.

When I got back to San Francisco, there was an email from UA with the subject line "We are sorry about your flight, but hope this helps", and a credit for $150.

Is there any way to determine if this is compensation for the outbound delay or the inbound lack of entertainment? $150 seems high for the lack of entertainment (I bring my own so I didn't even notice), while $150 seems low for the 3 hours of delay and having to navigate the stairs in the rain with luggage.
Old Jun 8, 22, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I recently flew RT on UA from SFO to AMS.

The outbound flight was a mess - left 2.5 hours late because there were no cleaners to clean the plane, then at AMS they went to a remote stand which caused another 30 minute delay to wait for a bus to the terminal.

The flight back was fine, but the entertainment system did not work, and the flight attendants kept announcing that people should contact United for compensation.

When I got back to San Francisco, there was an email from UA with the subject line "We are sorry about your flight, but hope this helps", and a credit for $150.

Is there any way to determine if this is compensation for the outbound delay or the inbound lack of entertainment? $150 seems high for the lack of entertainment (I bring my own so I didn't even notice), while $150 seems low for the 3 hours of delay and having to navigate the stairs in the rain with luggage.
if properly reported, these comp. emails can go out pretty quickly - even before landing on the problem flight. If I had to guess, given the timing of after landing in SFO - it was probably that. Also, last time I heard, though I admit its been a whole, they typically dont (or wouldnt - in the past) do proactive comp. claims for delays of <4 hours.

also, this will definitely age this, but I flew NRT-SEA once with an inop entertainment sharem, and even though I had an empty middle next to me where it did work, FA insisted on giving me comp, which was $250. This was 2012 or 2013, I think. So that was in the heyday where UA gave comp for anything. Given that, inflation since then, etc., Id say the $150 is definitely a downgrade on compared to the past.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread