Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Splendid Check-In Service for Complicated Bag Issue

Here is my praise of "Tammy" a Check-In agent at TPA:

Dear Madam or Mister 1KVoice Representative, A pleasant good morning to you.I want to recognize the exemplary efforts and customer service commitment of "Tammy" at the United Ticket Counter at Tampa International Airport (TPA) on Sunday, January 21, 2018 at about 4:50pm. I was traveling on two separate Star Alliance Tickets/Itineraries and wanted my bags checked to my final destination of the 2nd non-United Ticket/Itinerary. Having previous experience with this, I know it is a complicated process. In large UA Hubs (Chicago. Washington, Houston) their are many very experienced agents that can usually accomplish such bag checks within 5 or 10 minutes. But at the smaller UA locations, the experience level of agents usually results in an answer like "you'll just have to pick up your bags in XXX and re-check them".This was not the case for Tammy, who understood the challenge immediately and fastidiously worked on the process, including contacting colleagues and calling for assistance on the phone. Now normally after 25 minutes of waiting to check in my bags, I would be furious. However, Tammy regularly and calmly updated me about the process throughout her herculean efforts. She accomplished the task and all of my bags arrived safely at my final destination. It is consummate professionals like Tammy that keep me loyal to United. My expectations in contacting 1KVoice are that: 1. You would share this email with Tammy at TPA 2. You would share this email with Tammy's Supervisor
3. If possible, you would share this email with UA CEO Oscar Munoz. 4. Please find out why checking bags with 2 Star Alliance Tickets is so complicated and if there is a solution to make the process more simple. Your reply and efforts are most greatly appreciated. Best Regards,
Gpicur

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: removed personal information
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
LAX pilot who lives in SAN. January 26: I was on a SAN-LAX flight leaving at 4.05pm with a boarding time of 3.40pm. I had no checked luggage and parked at the SAN economy lot around 3.10pm. See a bunch of folks waiting for the shuttle and they had been waiting about ten minutes so not concerned about making the flight until 10 minutes later we are still waiting....we go to Terminal 1...traffic...I am getting very concerned I will not make the flight.

The pilot is on the same flight as me (standby) and let's me know he will let the GA know I am coming to the gate.

TSA-PRE is processing people who have no idea what they are doing. Get through, run to the gate (at the very end) and I hear the pilot say she is right behind me. I walk on the plane and they close the door behind me.

Really appreciate the United pilot (flying standby) informing the FA I was on my way.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Really appreciate the United pilot (flying standby) informing the FA I was on my way.
Similar...and I can't believe I didn't post this earlier (I blame the meds)... After I was released from the hospital, my wife and I flew home from RIC. At check-in, we realized that there was a 1.5 hour weather delay on the RIC-ORD flight which would cause us to misconnect in ORD. Agent moved both of us (separate PNRs -- me on a revenue ticket, wife on a MP ticket) to the last ORD-CLE flight of the night, kept my seat in F, got her E+ [I can never get her to take my F seat when we aren't both up front, but I do try]. Delay stretched, we got the scenic tour of landing once we hit the ground in ORD, landed at E12 at 9:10pm, leaving from C20 with departure due at 9:25pm after we hit the gate and the E/F-C shuttle was closed for the night.

I bolted off the plane and while waiting for my wife to make her way from the back asked (perhaps "begged") the E12 GA to call C20 to let them know that my wife and I were on our way, I had just been released from a hospital (pointing out the wristband I hadn't been able to get off) and was due for surgery in Cleveland the next morning. He said "I'll call but so you know we don't hold flights..." called the C20 with my name, and as soon as my wife got off we bolted down E, across the connector to B (with me panting/coughing and my wife asking if I needed to stop, my unwise answer being "I'll stop if I die, not before then"), through the tunnel to C, up the escalators and across the concurse to C20 -- where I was fully expecting to see a closed door and a "sorry, you're screwed" GA... to my surprise while the gate area was completely empty, the door was still open, the agent looked surprised and said "You made it!" scanned our BPs and we were the last two people on board -- I was coughing up a lung down the jetway and nearly passed out when I hit my seat, but we got home that night and I got the surgery taken care of the next day as scheduled.

Lincoln
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wonderful flight on UA 58 today. Crew was just a pleasure from the word go. Very senior - the junior bloke was going to be hitting 20 years soon - but clearly loved what they do, and put everything into it. Proactive about everything from refills (nuts included) to offering me food/drink when I woke up with 4 hours to go in the flight.

Only issue was the two "businessmen" who had a few and proceeded to talk loudly through the night. Even earplugs didn't fully drown them out - give me a bunch of kids over this anyday.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
I've done my fair share of pointing out when UA has been lackluster in my experiences, so feel it's fair to give them appreciation when they go above and beyond.

My father is going into hospice care, so my brother and I have to fly unexpectedly back home for the chance to say goodbye. Tickets were booked less than 24 hours prior to departure, and while there was a lot of availability on this RPU-upgrade only route, because it was so close to departure, they usually won't process any upgrades with certificates unless positive R space exists (and in this case it didn't). However, I figured it was worth a call to the 1K desk... who graciously allowed me to apply the RPU's even though they technically weren't supposed to. Due to there being over 10+ seats on this RPU-only upgrade route (and no other customers on the waitlist), we both cleared pretty quickly.

While it's only an upgrade and a nice gesture that will make an otherwise unpleasant journey somewhat more comfortable, it's worth noting when UA does something that goes above and beyond. So thanks United and the 1K Help Desk!

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Feb 16, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew yesterday on UA 5492 (COS-LAX) and UA 1179 (LAX-HNL). Have to say the FAs on both flights were top notch, very attentive and really went the extra mile. I fell asleep while tasing on UA 5492 and when I woke, the FA asked if I wanted anything to eat. She apologized that she was out of wraps (apparently the airline only gave her 3 for the flight) but offered to get me a snack box or something else. On the flight to HNL, the 2 FAs serving F were coming up and down the aisle constantly (well, as much as turbulence allowed), addressing us by name, and as we were preparing for landing, the chief FA came down the aisle to shake hands with everyone and thanked them for flying United.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: united
My BOS-SFO flight today features "books on the fly", a couple of shelves full of donated books, including some very readable stuff like a John Grisham thriller, available for passengers to read.

That is really wonderful.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Last week, I called 1K line to change my wife's business saver award ticket (MEL-SIN-PEK-EWR-xxx) due to weather waiver for EWR. I gave her all UA-metal flight information. And she asked me to wait for a few minutes to see what she could do. When she came back, she got Polaris business for MEL-LAX and first class seat for LAX-IAD. I was very impressed with her efficiency and friendly manner. The call lasted for less than 10 min.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Emailed 1KVoice about a fairly trivial task (redepositing RPU for SDCd itin where I ended up flying in Y). Received a response telling me the RPU had been redeposited exactly 4 minutes later. Very impressed.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:04 am

Lounge Agent at DCA.

Had a 6:55pm flight from DCA to EWR. Since I finished wok at 2:00pm, I decided to drive over to the airport since I'd rather wait in the United Lounge than sit at work. As I'm sitting there, I get a page from the front desk who advises me that there is a Traffic Management Plan in place in Newark and it's causing major delays in departures as Newark is spreading out arrivals. Either the lounge agent or a computer algorithm determined that this could effect my connection and flagged me as a person who could be moved me to a earlier DCA/EWR flight. The flight they moved me to left the gate and then was held for 40 minutes. A scan of EWR arrivals showed almost every flight delayed 30 minutes to an hour. As it turns out, my original flight would have made it in time and the connecting flight was caught up in the same ATC delays but I appreciate the pro-activity.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
3/11 IAH-SCL

Absolutely jam-packed plane... 10 GS and I am the only 1 that is in the back ,, lol. #1 on upgrade list.. didn't clear but had 22L on the 767-300 ^

The IAH-based UA (!) crew took great care of me.. knowing I was the only GS in the back they were very attentive.. remembering my name and bringing me an amenity kit for the eye-mask and earplugs.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

My lucky day for United first award space, change fee waivers, and other things...

I was already considering this to be my lucky day after sitting in bumper to bumper Miami traffic after lunch to cross under a pedestrian bridge under construction on my way to a meeting at the National Hurricane Center - less than 5 minutes later said bridge collapsed, and I am very thankful to not be among the list of fatalities.

After returning to my hotel, I checked on my parents' upcoming (coach) reservation to HNL and was shocked to see not 1 but 2 first class award seats available for their flight. I can't remember the last time I saw I availability for a long-haul Hawaii flight, even close-in. I did the math, and contemplated whether or not I should make the change - since the awards came out of a non-elite account, I was figuring $150x2 for the change, and possibly even an additional $75x2 for close-in re-ticketing.

But, I decided to go for it. After very quickly taking care of the change, the agent was ready to let me go and I actually stopped him with my credit card in-hand and said, "Don't I owe you anything today?". He replied, "No, you're all good to go!". I've read about other FT'ers getting fee waivers, but I've never been so lucky, at least not since pm-CO days.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of getting off the phone before checking the reservation online. I had the banner to call United reservations to re-issue the ticket, and figured this was not going to go as well. This agent asked,
"Did the previous agent discuss with you this change costs additional miles?"
"Yes Ma'am, I upgraded from coach to a first class award."
"Did the previous agent discuss change fees with you?"
"Well Ma'am, he told me I did not owe anything today - fees were waived"
"Oh, I don't see any footnotes about that...", (gulp, here it comes), "But OK - I put a note in so you shouldn't have any problems".

So, I survived the day and my mother will get to enjoy her 70th bday trip to Hawaii riding up front. ^
jsloan, onthesam, mmack and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I was already considering this to be my lucky day after sitting in bumper to bumper Miami traffic after lunch to cross under a pedestrian bridge under construction on my way to a meeting at the National Hurricane Center - less than 5 minutes later said bridge collapsed, and I am very thankful to not be among the list of fatalities.

After returning to my hotel, I checked on my parents' upcoming (coach) reservation to HNL and was shocked to see not 1 but 2 first class award seats available for their flight. I can't remember the last time I saw I availability for a long-haul Hawaii flight, even close-in. I did the math, and contemplated whether or not I should make the change - since the awards came out of a non-elite account, I was figuring $150x2 for the change, and possibly even an additional $75x2 for close-in re-ticketing.

But, I decided to go for it. After very quickly taking care of the change, the agent was ready to let me go and I actually stopped him with my credit card in-hand and said, "Don't I owe you anything today?". He replied, "No, you're all good to go!". I've read about other FT'ers getting fee waivers, but I've never been so lucky, at least not since pm-CO days.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of getting off the phone before checking the reservation online. I had the banner to call United reservations to re-issue the ticket, and figured this was not going to go as well. This agent asked,
"Did the previous agent discuss with you this change costs additional miles?"
"Yes Ma'am, I upgraded from coach to a first class award."
"Did the previous agent discuss change fees with you?"
"Well Ma'am, he told me I did not owe anything today - fees were waived"
"Oh, I don't see any footnotes about that...", (gulp, here it comes), "But OK - I put a note in so you shouldn't have any problems".

So, I survived the day and my mother will get to enjoy her 70th bday trip to Hawaii riding up front. ^
^

FYI -- the fee would have been $125 x 2, assuming less than 60 days before departure. And there's no separate close-in change fee -- that's baked into the $125. The $75 is a close-in fee for new bookings only.

Also, you can avoid the fee in the future by waitlisting for the premium award up front. Still, glad to hear it worked out.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:36 pm

Nothing too amazing but I want to recognize that a lot of the UA phone reps I speak to are good / very good. Recently a ewr-las ticket I bought wet from 170- 132 I have 5 seats for family on that flight so was a bit miffed. Couple of days after I saw the price drop I got an email about a 1 hour schedule change. Called united up was honest from the start I want to cancel and rebook and believe I can because of schedule change. Rep speaks to supervisor, don't worry sir we will rebook for you and send ETC for the difference. I appreciated that.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Good CS action from UA

To help balance the scale I have to point out something UA did well. Booked a RT BKK-ORD in business back over Christmas. Like many others I got the flu while home, it was colder then a SOB. The flu is contagious and the doctor told me please, please don't fly for at least 5 days and preferably 7. I felt terrible and that was no problem for me as I was just laying in bed. Called UA and switched my flight to a few days later.

Fast forward and we have a severe cold warning and UA is giving changes to people for the day I leave and the next day leaving from ORD. I called and said I just want to get back to KSA and wanted to change my flight to KSA. The lady said well you can't, but you can cancel your present ORD-BKK and have 1 year to use the residual credit, change fee would be refunded due to illness first and weather second.

Fast forward again to this past week some 3 months later and have big problems. First told my same routing and carriers have to be the same. Then price it out and Juneyao won't accept. Then they will but it is like 3500 bucks. Long story short the travel restrictions of the fare are 3 months max stay so it prices as a 1 way.

Email customer care explain the situation and that I have documentation. They respond saying they are sending me a refund to my CC for the unused portion! Didn't even ask for that, just wanted to be able to book same routing etc. up to 1 year as I was told. Very happy as it will make my trip so much easier.

So many negative stories it is nice to balance with the good that UA is doing.^
UA_Flyer and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.