Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Experiences with UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Was returning MAN-FRA-SEA-SFO with a companion who had to head out same-day on SFO-MSP (separate UA ticket). We went landside in SEA and the UA agent there was able to split the PNR and then through-check her bag to MSP to save an extra trip landside at SFO. It only took ~10 minutes too, much less than some of the hassle stories I've heard about UA-UA interline. Due credit to all you at FT as well for teaching what is/isn't possible, but I continue to be pleased with my (high) rate of "good" agents in most roles I encounter at UA.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ordered my usual cheeburger and Mule yesterday in economy yesterday OGG-LAX. Couldn't get cap off. Whole cap assembly just spun. FA tried. Another one in F galley tried with no success. Plan B was a Shiner Bock (one of the few things I miss about Tejas). About half way through flight, FA stopped by and asked if I wanted another beer. Was nice she remembered the problem, made a point of stopping by and offering a second, and even the type of beer I had. Multiply her by 10,000 and a United will have more return customers.

OT - my next flight was out of gate 82. Saw an Air Canada Airbus unloading at 80. Didn't know AC used UA gates.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
LAS to EWR, one RT, one one way so far this year. Each was smooth, early and even the bags came up quickly.....4 more segments on that route plus 2 TALTs left this year so I hope they can keep it going..and maybe even clear my MUAs for the EWR-LHR trip. I hate them holding 80K miles and $2400 for so lone. A ton of empty seats right now, 6 weeks out.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by big V
Heading to Costa Rica for Spring Break. Had a 6+ hour layover in Houston, SDCed to something earlier, nabbing the last available seats in F with nary the bat of an eye (including checked luggage).

My husband was very impressed with both the upgrade feats and the SCS, thought I had "stroke" with the lounge folks here. Tried to tell him SDC it was a United policy, but might as well let him think I'm a rock star...
The crew in F for this flight was *AH-mazing!!!* We (briefly) had an issue where my kids were in 1AB and the pax in 1C didn't want to move to my 1D window seat so that I could manage the kids from the aisle. One of the FAs looked at me and said, "Well *I'm* here and am more than happy to help them!" Though 1C moved to the window about 5 min after we boarded, I was so so grateful to the FA.

She and her colleague provided the entire cabin stellar service, both went out of their way to take great care of my kids. Am going to write the 1K line about them.

Bonus -- we were rebooked into P (even though 2 of the 4 seats were CPUs) so I scored extra miles. Woot!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The crew in F for this flight was *AH-mazing!!!* We (briefly) had an issue where my kids were in 1AB and the pax in 1C didn't want to move to my 1D window seat so that I could manage the kids from the aisle. ...
Glad you had a nice trip, but I'd be miffed if a parent asked me to give up my aisle seat for four hours so they could watch their kids across the aisle. Why not just have both kids in a window seat and you in the aisle seat?
BlueSky72 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The crew in F for this flight was *AH-mazing!!!* We (briefly) had an issue where my kids were in 1AB and the pax in 1C didn't want to move to my 1D window seat so that I could manage the kids from the aisle. One of the FAs looked at me and said, "Well *I'm* here and am more than happy to help them!" Though 1C moved to the window about 5 min after we boarded, I was so so grateful to the FA.

She and her colleague provided the entire cabin stellar service, both went out of their way to take great care of my kids. Am going to write the 1K line about them.

Bonus -- we were rebooked into P (even though 2 of the 4 seats were CPUs) so I scored extra miles. Woot!
Agree with @joe_miami.

Read the thread on seat etiquette. You scored two CPUs for F and then expected 1C to move for your convenience. It sounds like you "guilted" 1C to move for your convenience by involving the FA. No harm in asking but you should have accepted the response from 1C. You sound as though you pulled a DYKWIA moment . I mean for goodness sake you were in the same row as the kids.

Also, you state there were four of you so presumably you could have asked the person sitting next to your other passanger to swap and have a kid with each adult.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
onboard MP compensation awarded

Seated in Y on gruelling 17 h non-stop MR from SFO to SIN (UA 1). The cabin is pitch black & an FA passing by my seat too crashes into/bangs my shoulder seated in the aisle seat. While I was not hurt, I was concerned she was in such a hurry w/o a flashlight. So I asked to see the purser - who was sympathetic (even though I was probably at fault). Ten minutes later, she re-appears and tells me she has deposited 7500 MP credits to my account! Good on UA for giving pursers this authority and good on this passenger-centric purser.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Seated in Y on gruelling 17 h non-stop MR from SFO to SIN (UA 1). The cabin is pitch black & an FA passing by my seat too crashes into/bangs my shoulder seated in the aisle seat. While I was not hurt, I was concerned she was in such a hurry w/o a flashlight. So I asked to see the purser - who was sympathetic (even though I was probably at fault). Ten minutes later, she re-appears and tells me she has deposited 7500 MP credits to my account! Good on UA for giving pursers this authority and good on this passenger-centric purser.
I hope it was a big bang! Because this happens to me every time I'm in Y domestically and I chalk it up to a tight aircraft.
Haven't {been} in Y internationally (thank God for employers and GPU's)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: language
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:22 am

Just sent a note into United on the great assistance provided at the SFO 1K check-in area. My LHR-SFO flight arrived early so wanted to see if I could Standby for the earlier SFO-SAN flight so I was not sitting in SFO for over four hours. Came through customs and there was no desk agent at the baggage recheck/drop area - this is a consistent theme with United (both in SFO and especially LAX). I do not understand why they do not staff the area. So instead of dropping my bag off I need to haul it to the terminal to the check-in area, and the regular check-in are is before the 1K area so quite a trek so I am starting to think this is a wasted effort as when I get to the check-in area (and they have terminals for the 1K folks!) there are people waiting for desk agents and there is one woman arguing with an agent so I am really starting to feel disheartened. This lovely African America agent who is helping people at the terminals comes up and asks me what assistance I need and I explain to her I am wanting to go Standby but I have luggage and then I say but I think I am running out of time to meet the luggage deadline. She quickly takes my existing BP and says do you mind there is no first class seat and I say no that is not an issue for 90 minute flight as I just want to get home. So she then goes and finds an agent to help me, and this check-in agent is a little new to the process and so she helps her and gets me on the Standby list. I made the flight (#2 out of 14 on the list) and last one on the plane. Great service and calmness during the process - great credit to United.

Also my LHR-SFO flight had slippers and gel pillows and hot bites!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:05 am

I find it hard to believe I am the only flyer with positive experiences, but had two of them yesterday. First flight was SAN-IAH. It started with the inflight entertainment not working - dropped six time in the first eight minutes. However, things happen it is how they are handled that counts. Ryan, and then Kelly, tried to fix the issue and then finally convinced the FA in the F cabin to provide the Direct TV to me for free which occurred. I wrote into Customer Care to let them know about Ryan and Kelly caring enough to do something to fix the situation.

Then on the next flight, IAH-MSY, the pilot came and gave me his business card to thank me (and it looked like other GS/1K passangers) were also given his card and he thanked us for flying with United. What great customer service - my first time receiving the business card of the pilot. Nice form of recognition, albeit some other travelers trying to work out what the pilot was doing. :-)

[Photo of business card removed by moderator to comply with rules on privacy.]

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:07 am Reason: Photo removed to conform to privacy rules
Old May 2, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Holy smoke! I actually enjoyed my Skywest CR200 trip today DEN-TUL. My plane was at gate disgorging the previous flight’s passengers. Most of the passengers were off and new crew was at top of ramp waiting for last of passengers to get off. Last lady out had a cane and no wheelchair aide was there. Female co-pilot handed her bags to her fellow crew member and she locked arms with the elderly lady and guided her slowly down the ramp (holding umbrella over her in wind and rain at time) and into gate area. Got her a seat and told GA about the lady’s needs. Went back to the lady and told her the GA would take care of her. And then the flight attendant was great. At service start, she approached the 4 1K/GSs and asked what food items we wanted and then brought the cart thru with drinks and BoB for everyone else. Plus a great disposition. Not exactly a comfy ride, but it’s amazing how staff attitude can lessen the pain.

I rarely ride these planes but got an appreciation for how much harder a single FA has to work on these planes. The FAs on mainline are spoiled by the catering crew. This FA was handed a big bag filled with everything from cups to napkins to cokes to ice to pretzels etc and she had to stow everything.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:06 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed UA180 HKG-EWR, due, in large part, to my FA, CiCi ,the SM, Steve, as well as an interesting seat mate. This, of course, was a former CO crew, and we swapped interesting anecdotes about our experiences when CO first inaugurated the EWR-HKG route so many years ago. At the time, it was the longest non-stop flight in operation. We flew coach in those days, but we always managed to get an open row, due to our NW Perks Platinum status. Those trips hold much sentimental value, and in truth, flying icoach with my wife in those days is preferable to currently flying business on my own.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:19 am

United Customer Service

So far after being away from UA since 2014 and reluctant to try them after the incidents that caused a ruckus here on FT and in the media I have had nothing but a positive experience with their 1800 Customer Service.
I feel its how you approach the agents. I work in Tourism and I know the long hours they work. I always ask how they are doing and explain my situation like I would to a friend or relative and work on a solution.

I have taken the FT advice of hanging up and calling again as each call center may have a slightly different way of handling situations. Remember when agents have a quota of calls they can sometimes forget how to apply different policies outside 'the box.

While no ne is perfect I mist say I am pleased with their IVR system recognizing my reservation and beung able to look it up using the flight number my last name and departure city.

A thank you always goes a long way! At the airport I do my best to have my documents and luggage ready. I feel as if you speak their language like spelling your name in the phonetic alphabet also helps.

A lot of the time passengers are disappointed because they dont do their homework They got a Basic Econ fare . I tell the booking agent to avoid it and I want a checked bag included with seat assignment.

I found an airfare r/t to TLV less than WOW Air or Norwegian with no 36 hour layovers which I add imy I.my calculations as well as a bag seat assignments hot meal beer and wine and AVOD. A lot of people miss the boat and complain.

Do I expect gourmet dining? No but a decent hot meal yes. Is it worth paying $8 for a Glenfichas Scotch yes because I saved $!$$. I set my expectations on a reasonable level. I always bring Costco Trail Mix to supplement or replace a bad meal and UA offers craft beer better than cheap wine.

All in all the customer is just as much as responsible going in as the company. I take the media stories with a grain of salt because I don' know all the facts and we dont know all the circumstances.

Traveling is an adventure and I use the plane as my transportation. Comfort and Safety is my top priority then comes the rest.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am having a hard time discerning what your point is, re: United.

But welcome back to the "Friendly Skies", I guess?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
I

Do I expect gourmet dining? No but a decent hot meal yes. Is it worth paying $8 for a Glenfichas Scotch yes because I saved $!$$. I set my expectations on a reasonable level. I always bring Costco Trail Mix to supplement or replace a bad meal and UA offers craft beer better than cheap wine.

Is Glenfichas Scotch the product of a seat-side blending of Glenfiddich and Glenfarclas? Now that would make United unique!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.