Positive Experiences with UA

Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Kudos to UA 954 Crew on 7/28

As is often the case I like to strike up a conversation with people at the gate. It just so happened that the man sitting next to me had interesting travel stories as his wife working the flight as a Flight Attendant travels together a lot.

I mentioned to the man my name and we parted ways.

Once onboard I said hello to the lead FA at the door and gave my seat# as I requested the Kosher meal more for a better quality meal which it was. I was seated in Economy Plus.

So my meal which tasted like lamb with cous cous was good along with an omlette with roasted potatoes and ratatouille.

After dinner the wife of the man I met asks ms if I am Daniel. I said I was and she hands me ab ics cream sundae with brownies and a drink as well as the co.memorative Boeing 747 Tin ammenity kit which was a nice touch.

The hard working crew cleaned up the trays as soon as people finished and they let us sleep and no distufbance of Duty Free.

I am going to write UA about the friendly crew. The Hebrew speaking LOD FA was very kind to me as was the FA who gave me the gifts and she made sure I was taken care of.

Is this the UA of bad press? I doubt it. I will remember this crew for a long time.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:44 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn
...and no distufbance of Duty Free.

You'll be pleased to know this was not a one-off. United ended in-flight Duty Free sales, I think sometime within the last year or so.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Might want to leave out that they hooked you up with a sundae and tin, I'd just highlight the service and friendliness.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
This flight is the United that I know. Sure, I occasionally have a less-than-stellar experience, but what you're getting is much more the norm than the exception in my experience.

In fact, on my family's vacation a few weeks ago, we flew EWR-SFO. The experience was excellent - my wife and son were very well looked after - and my wife commented on how great of a flight it was... I told her "THIS is why I only fly United." It really is much more my normal experience than the alternative.
BlueSky72 and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I just experienced two wonderful back to back flights: NRT-IAH and IAD-LHR.

I mean the crews blew me away with how professional and nothing was too much trouble .

In the survery of the NRT-IAH flight I complimented the FA by name but they were all excellent.

Excellent FAs again on IAD-LHR.

Common denominator? All legacy CO crews.

This coming off my NRT-SFO flight was cancelled and the 1K agent was so helpful. Again, this week problems with the website and MP phone agent very helpful. Today for a SDC phone agent was patient and phenomenonal.

It is all about the attitude and service and these folks will keep me coming back to United.

Yes, I plan on sending an email once I am in one place for more than three days.

Disappointingly my phenomenal check-in agent at SAN went on vacation and my check-in experience for the past month has been less than stellar - she seems to take delight in making life difficult and unpleasant for GS and 1K members. I will not be writing in about her but the difference between the usual excellent SAN service and dealing with her is astounding.

So excellent experiences with United lately - a very happy 1K member.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Common denominator? All legacy CO crews.
As of October, the FAs have a single contract and scheduling system. They will be able to bid any line of flying, regardless of legacy airline. So you won't be able to tell where individual FAs come from based upon sUA or sCO airframe -- much like we have today with the pilots. Here's hoping for harmony in the #FriendlySkies !
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
You'll be pleased to know this was not a one-off. United ended in-flight Duty Free sales, I think sometime within the last year or so.
Amen! Duty Free is a misnomer for the most part.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:21 am

Last night waiting for a flight at ORD, the incoming 757 was from LAX. The last guy off the plane had been looking for his carry-on bag, but the only bag left on the plane (an anonymous black roller) was not his. Brought that bag to the podium, and the GA looked at the luggage tags for a name, pulled up the flight manifest from the flight, found the passenger, and got the passenger's phone number (either from their MP profile or the PNR, not sure). Called the pax right there on the telephone and confirmed he had the wrong bag. Asked if he could come back to the gate, but he was already in a taxi. He turned the taxi around and GA coordinated an exchange of cell numbers so the two pax could meet up in baggage claim.

Went from pax explaining the problem to having the other guy on the phone in about 90 seconds. Well done! I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened in the history of air travel, but it was handled super efficiently and competently, and a huge problem turned into a minor inconvenience. I guess cell phones are the true hero of this story. And the old fashioned luggage tag!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Good story. Sounds like Pax A was sitting far away from his bag if Pax B was already in a taxi by the time the mistake was discovered.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Good story. Sounds like Pax A was sitting far away from his bag if Pax B was already in a taxi by the time the mistake was discovered.
I wasn't on the plane so I didn't see that part of the story, I just know he was one of the last ones off. I'm guessing that he realized right away that his bag was missing, but maybe had to wait till most other pax had deplaned to identify the bag that had been left behind.

C20 to taxi could be as little as 5-10 minutes if there is no wait at the taxi stand.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Yeah, if the plane was 753, and the pax A was sitting in the back, way back, and forced to stash the bag in the "any open bin," then absolutely believable. But more importantly, kudos to the GA for the smart and proactive action!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Had a positive experience on UA 15 (LHR-EWR) the other day. Was flying back from vacation with my just under 2 year old son and wife. We had upgraded to Polaris Business class and had absolute top notch FAs on the flight. They went above and beyond to help my wife and I keep my son occupied and even anticipated some of our needs. No fuss or complaints as we asked our meals to come separately. Moreover, they were attentive to all Pax the entire trip. Don't see that type of attitude as much anymore so wrote to the 1K email line and complimented their actions. Hope they are recognized appropriately.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Flying LAS-LAX-OGG 1pm today. LAS-LAX delayed by (at least) 20 minutes, leaving 30 minute connection at LAX. Not wanting to risk UA's estimate of delay, I saw LAS-SFO-OGG leaving 20 minutes later had R1 for both legs. Called in and agent told me that LAS had already double-booked me to the LAS-SFO-OGG and was going to let me choose my option at airport. Neither flight pair was particularly full, so they had some leeway. Stuff like this I really appreciate.

edit: connection at LAX now shows 9 minutes - happy with UA’s proactive re-booking...
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 14, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
DEN-EWR on a 752 last week. 14yr old son and I were in 4 A/B. I took him up to the cockpit as soon as we got on and the female F/O was FANTASTIC with him. Sat him down and showed him all sorts of things about the entire cockpit and probably spent literally 5 minutes with him. I think she would have taken him on the walk-around if she could have.

Every time I do this with one of my 3 kids, it seems as if the pilots love to show the kids stuff. Good stuff!
jsloan, BlueSky72 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Positive experience With United Monday Night at Ohare

I flew from ORD to SFO one way. My original flight, 1402 was delayed over an hour, and I focused on getting on to flight 741 which was also late, but it would get me to SFO at the time 1402 should have arrived. I used the United Club by gate C16. I have no status with United and was flying on an award ticket. I used my Amtrak select plus membership to gain access to the lounge. Since operations had been disrupted by thunderstorms it was pretty busy. I observed an employee named Vatina work diligently to assist two million plus milers with their reservations. The effort continued for 10 minutes or more. Eventually, it was my turn. I received the same, attentive service from Vatina. She got me transferred over to 741 easily, but for some reason my app would not refresh with the correct boarding pass. Then Vatina was unable to print. She ultimately called the gate to request that they print my boarding pass. I was very impressed by her efforts. I did send the information into United so that she would get acknowledge.
Gnopps, RobOnLI and SFHokie like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.