Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New "Smart" bag policy effective 15 Jan 2018

New "Smart" bag policy effective 15 Jan 2018

Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
1K here......I was in SFO the other day heading to SEA...I was first in line in Group 1 line and the Gate agent noticed my AWAY suitcase....she asked if I took out the lithium battery....I was playing stupid what she meant......]
I have limited amounts of sympathy for you when you say "you were playing stupid [with] what she meant". This was a policy clearly written rule and is clearly stated. The merits (while questionable) were mandated for specific reasons. I do not want to argue whether they're right or wrong, but there is clearly the belief that these batteries pose a safety hazard. The seat thing, is unfortunate, and wrong.

Please play stupid with your own life, not possibly 200+ others on board the aircraft too.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
1K here......I was in SFO the other day heading to SEA...I was first in line in Group 1 line and the Gate agent noticed my AWAY suitcase....she asked if I took out the lithium battery....I was playing stupid what she meant......she pulled me aside and told me that I had to remove the battery or my suitcase wouldn't be allowed on the flight at all...even being checked in....I told them that I'm without a Phillips head screwdriver and what they expected me to do at this moment....long story short someone brought over a tiny key chain screwdriver and took 25 min to get it unscrewed so the battery could be removed......the plane by than was already boarded and was allowed to get on the flight......the problem was the Gate agents realized they gave away my 7C seat to someone else.....so they told the passenger that occupied my seat to go to a middle seat....he refused...and I refused to take it because I reserved my aisle seat....I thought he was become a problem where he would refuse to give me my seat...he finally realized he wasn't going to win this fight and moved....and gave me a real dirty look
Here's a thought for you: It's stupid to play stupid.

The agents get paid to board the flight. The other passenger got messed with and you came close to not boarding your flight.

As others note, this isn't a debate about the rule, it's simply about what the rule says.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 pm

Smart bags are a solution to a non-problem, like those talking walkways at DCA. If someone needs a portable cell phone recharger, those things exist and are way tinier than a suitcase, and they practically give them away these days.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
lion carryon

just pointed to https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

"Effective July 9, 2018, lithium batteries that are installed in any checked or carry-on baggage must be removed by the customer. Once removed, these batteries can be transported on board. Smart bags that do not have a removable battery cannot travel on any United or United Express® flights."

how does this apply to laptops, phones, side charger batteries?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Look's like the policy is for bags and not laptops. None of my laptops have had removable batteries for about a decade.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by randyqx

"Effective July 9, 2018, lithium batteries that are installed in any checked or carry-on baggage must be removed by the customer. Once removed, these batteries can be transported on board. Smart bags that do not have a removable battery cannot travel on any United or United Express® flights."

This applies to smart bags. Read it again.
Lithium batteries that are installed in any checked or carry-on bags. (Bolded for emphasis).

There have been reports of people having to remove their batteries before allowing to bring their carry-on bag onboard with one poster (it's in this forum somewhere) complaining that they literally made him buy a screwdriver kit and take it out right in front of the gate agents if he wanted to get on the plane. And there was little sympathy as this was a stated policy.

The company Bluesmart has gone out of business because it cannot sell its bags due to the fact that its battery is not meant to be removed. Therefore, no one would purchase this bag since it is effectively banned from being carried on or checked.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by randyqx

Does not apply to those if they are inside the cabin. I think the problem is for the carry-on baggage that ends up below on some of the UAX planes or if you have to gate check your carry-on so it's easier if the lithium battery is already removed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2018 at 7:39 pm Reason: thread title concern moot on merger
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The company Bluesmart has gone out of business because it cannot sell its bags
I'll bet they're feeling blue for not being too smart...
NoLaGent and laxmillenial like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
they're lion

i have never heard of a 'smart bag'. showing my age, i guess. my laptops, phones, ... batteries can not be removed without special tools and voiding the warranty.
Your title was misreading. I thought that you wanted to travel with a lion inside the cabin.
no. we check the lion.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
So, just to clarify:

1) Is the ban only for lithium type batteries if used for hold bags (not carry on)?
2) Does this (if above is applicable) mean for ALL airlines?

I have a flight coming up from ZRH via ARN and LHR to SFO in a few weeks time and have a Rimowa E tag bag (2x removable AAA non lithium batteries). Nothing is mentioned on SWISS or Lufthansas websites about the ban...
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are FAA rules on Li batteries.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf
Cupart likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cupart
So, just to clarify:

1) Is the ban only for lithium type batteries if used for hold bags (not carry on)?
2) Does this (if above is applicable) mean for ALL airlines?

I have a flight coming up from ZRH via ARN and LHR to SFO in a few weeks time and have a Rimowa E tag bag (2x removable AAA non lithium batteries). Nothing is mentioned on SWISS or Lufthansas websites about the ban...
Not being able to check uninstalled Lithium ion batteries has been a rule for some time.

This only applies to lithium ion batteries, not non-lithium batteries (which have a lower energy density.)
Cupart likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:31 pm

Smart bag enforcement

I've been on 4 flights this year and on each one the gate agent has been really thorough with making sure lithium batteries are fully removed from carry-on luggage. For some reason, they refuse to make announcements about this prior to boarding, which has lead to quite a few temper tantrums and raised voices. If you have an Away, Raden, etc. be sure to remove your battery before getting to the gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.