Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sol95
I just got off the phone with UA trying to sort out an unacceptable change to my booking that UA made, and then didn't bother to let me know about.

I'm not a regular UA flyer, as I don't live in the US. And when I do travel there, I usually am heading to one of the major cities serviced by international airlines. However, I have flown UA domestically a handful of times, and thought I knew what to expect. Sadly, that was very far from the case, as I was not expecting what happened.

For this coming April, I have a 4 segment domestic itinerary booked about 2 months ago all in paid domestic First. On booking, I selected my seats, and thought that was all done. Since then, I've been checking my booking on the UA app once every week or two, just to make sure everything was ok. When I checked last night, 2 of my flights had equipment swaps (ERJ-175 --> CRJ-200; ERJ-170 --> ERJ-145), and as the replacement aircraft didn't have F seats, I was allocated an E seat (not even E+). I'm not sure when exactly the equipment swap took place, but the last time I checked before, which was about a week ago, everything was as expected.

My confusion is why I was not contacted to inform me of the change. Does UA expect its customers to be fine with a downgrade to E from paid F without any notification, without any option given to re-route, or without any compensation offered? Is this common practice for UA when equipment swaps mean a flight with F seats becomes an all-E cabin?

I had to initiate contact by calling in to UA, ask why I wasn't informed of the change, and then work out a change that was suitable to me. When I asked the agent why I wasn't contacted, they said someone would've tried to contact me, but I very much doubt that as my contact details on my booking are correct, and I had no missed calls or messages left.

Thankfully, all's been resolved to my satisfaction, but the whole process has left me bewildered as to what goes on at UA.
I get contacted (email) on about 1/3 of my UA schedule changes. The schedule changes themselves are quite common.

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [2017]
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a routine complaint about not only UA, but BA, LH,, AA, and DL as well. Sooner or later, you would have received an email. I am surprised that the change in class of service was not highlighted in red with a warning at the top of your booking.

Aircraft swaps are common and the swap to a CRJ may well go back to a -175 or something else. I would not do anything until much closer as you may well have something satisfactory on your original ticket.

Being proactive does help and checking your itinerary online on some regularized basis (no need to obsess about this daily for a ticket which won't be flown for four months), is always a good thing.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sol95
My confusion is why I was not contacted to inform me of the change. Does UA expect its customers to be fine with a downgrade to E from paid F without any notification, without any option given to re-route, or without any compensation offered? Is this common practice for UA when equipment swaps mean a flight with F seats becomes an all-E cabin?
Yes, it is common that if you are booked in F and the plane is swapped to one that doesn't have F you will be assigned a Y seat. If all segments in one direction are Y instead of F there should be a re-fare involved. If one F in each direction than no re-fare/comp since that's what the fare would've been anyways.

Because of the change in operating carrier you can request a refund or reroute.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a routine complaint about not only UA, but BA, LH,, AA, and DL as well. Sooner or later, you would have received an email. I am surprised that the change in class of service was not highlighted in red with a warning at the top of your booking.

Aircraft swaps are common and the swap to a CRJ may well go back to a -175 or something else. I would not do anything until much closer as you may well have something satisfactory on your original ticket.

Being proactive does help and checking your itinerary online on some regularized basis (no need to obsess about this daily for a ticket which won't be flown for four months), is always a good thing.
I am doubtful this will switch back to anything other than a CR2. Within 3 months, the schedules are pretty stable, and they are adding all the CR2s into the fleet. Sucks.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, it is common that if you are booked in F and the plane is swapped to one that doesn't have F you will be assigned a Y seat. If all segments in one direction are Y instead of F there should be a re-fare involved. If one F in each direction than no re-fare/comp since that's what the fare would've been anyways.

Because of the change in operating carrier you can request a refund or reroute.
Is this still correct? I thought the Change of Carrier rationale was removed as an automatic request for refund.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is this still correct? I thought the Change of Carrier rationale was removed as an automatic request for refund.
Identifying the carrier at booking is a DOT requirement, so I doubt you'd have any pushback. Regardless, in this case, "Change of seating configuration" would come into play -- if you purchase F and they remove F from the flight you're on, you can absolutely get a reroute and shouldn't have any problems getting a refund either. Although, in this case it sounds like the OP already took care of that.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I program EF to give me aircraft change alerts, since it happens frequently with UA, and knowledge before you get to the airport helps you plan accordingly.

That said, is that correct they would provide no compensation for a change from domestic F to Y if you opt not to reroute? This has not happened to me. For an international trip, I'd definitely reroute in the same class, and have done that where an aircraft swap reduced business class seats (in fact, it is often an opportunity to move to a better flight and airline), while I don't take many domestic routes that would have E only). But I'd certainly ask for it in that situation, and complain endlessly via email afterwards if I didn't get it. Doesn't need to be much, as it is unlikely I would have bought domestic F if it was more than $100-$200 over economy at booking, which is likely to be the case on short domestic flights like this seems to be. But I don't recall anything bad happening on UA before where I was not offered some compensation.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jsloan
Identifying the carrier at booking is a DOT requirement, so I doubt you'd have any pushback. Regardless, in this case, "Change of seating configuration" would come into play -- if you purchase F and they remove F from the flight you're on, you can absolutely get a reroute and shouldn't have any problems getting a refund either. Although, in this case it sounds like the OP already took care of that.
Changing operating carrier entitles the passenger to a refund as a matter of law. Same thing for jet-to-prop. Other changes such as elimination of F only entitle the passenger to a refund of the fare difference but will often be refunded as a customer service gesture.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Changing operating carrier entitles the passenger to a refund as a matter of law. Same thing for jet-to-prop. Other changes such as elimination of F only entitle the passenger to a refund of the fare difference but will often be refunded as a customer service gesture.
The elimination of the first class cabin is not a DOT issue in and of itself, but it is considered IRROPS per UA's Contract of Carriage. So, you can call it a customer service gesture, but it's also contractual.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The wording of the CoC may have changed, but it's my experience that, in practice, the conditions for refund or reroute have remained the same. Back on topic, not being informed of a schedule change happens frequently. It's especially annoying, and can be downright scandalous, if you only find out at the last minute or no alternatives exist. UA would refund the fare difference between first and economy, but sometimes it's akin to selling you a fully unrestricted Y ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
how many days until departure? it is possible for airline to hold on changes of this sort and not communicate to you until 30 or 60 days out. The thinking is there is no reason to bother the customers if this trip were 120 days away (or such) and potentially many more changes (equipment, timing, etc.) might be coming. The airline does not want to send so many messages so far out.

that is one possibility. the other possibility is if you bought through third party, UA might not have your contact information. In other cases, it is possible UA sees your information but it is not explicitly allowed to use that information to contact you (i.e. bought ticket via LH, something regarding privacy laws in EU im not too sure about).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP has a lengthy post but doesn't actually say he booked directly with United.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am doubtful this will switch back to anything other than a CR2. Within 3 months, the schedules are pretty stable, and they are adding all the CR2s into the fleet. Sucks.
Could get lucky. My SFO-YYC-SFO went from E175 to CR2s and then low and behold YYC-SFO went back to E175. All within the 3 month window before the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP has a lengthy post but doesn't actually say he booked directly with United.
I think you hit the nail on the head. UAL is religious of advising of changes but if you booked via an OTA and that OTA doesn't recognize a change to times only seat assignment - they are responsible to alert you.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I think you hit the nail on the head. UAL is religious of advising of changes but if you booked via an OTA and that OTA doesn't recognize a change to times only seat assignment - they are responsible to alert you.
Not actually true IME. I only ever book directly with UA, and notification of changes is far from 100%.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Then UA is as religious as me...I'm an atheist and the only time I am in a place of worship is for a wedding or a funeral. So I guess it does make sense in that I get email notices for maybe 10-20% of schedule changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.