Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Ok, No debate on testimony of others true life experiences, I have received schedule changes that were m8nimal but book direct. I recently did not receive 5 mins. schedule change which wiped out my seating assignments (I was semi pissed as lost my bulk row seating) and realize my UA segment was codeshare booked via ANA, they sent me the update which I ignored because none of their segments were modified but I guess when they reconfirmed my seating was removed until I checked the app.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:45 am

Flight change resulted in equipment change, what are compensation options?

I had a flight booked from ALB - ORD continuing onto PVR on 12/1/18. Booked in First class "P" fare, if I recall. I think ALB-ORD original flight was an A319 (I'll have to dig up the original ticket/itinerary).

Anyway, complete schedule change/route/equipment change.
ALB - IAD on an ERJ in coach (no First available)
IAD to IAH in first
IAH to PVR in Business

I know I can either accept the changes or cancel (all other itineraries take 2 days to get to PVR, and United won't pay for a hotel, so that option is obviously not palatable).

I've only ever experienced this on AA, so I'm familiar with the AA refund policy: You have to have flown the flight, and THEN request a refund, and it's (or used to be) structured based on miles flown, etc. blah blah (at least for the Y-UP fares on AA).

What's the compensation/refund policy (if any) on United in this matter?
I'm assuming I'd still have to wait until after the flight, in the event that there's another equipment/route change?

If so, is there a process and/or special language i should use when requesting the refund? I'd prefer cash, but I doubt that'll happen, probably be a 1-year coupon/certificate, although I vaguely recall getting a credit card refund from AA, but that was like 2-3 years ago.

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hurnik
I had a flight booked from ALB - ORD continuing onto PVR on 12/1/18. Booked in First class "P" fare, if I recall. I think ALB-ORD original flight was an A319 (I'll have to dig up the original ticket/itinerary).

Anyway, complete schedule change/route/equipment change.
ALB - IAD on an ERJ in coach (no First available)
IAD to IAH in first
IAH to PVR in Business

I know I can either accept the changes or cancel (all other itineraries take 2 days to get to PVR, and United won't pay for a hotel, so that option is obviously not palatable).

What's the compensation/refund policy (if any) on United in this matter? ...
You will be allowed a free cancellation/refund or free change.
There is unlikely to be any signifincant fare differential
There is no standard compensation for such schedule changes.

I'm assuming I'd still have to wait until after the flight, in the event that there's another equipment/route change? ...
Depends on what you want to do. If you are considering to let things be and see what you can get -- likely little --- then wait
If so, is there a process and/or special language i should use when requesting the refund? ...
The cancellation refund or the unlikely fare differential refund would be back to orignalform of payment

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will be allowed a free cancellation/refund or free change.
There is unlikely to be any signifincant fare differential
There is no standard compensation for such schedule changes.

Depends on what you want to do. If you are considering to like things be and see what you can get -- likely little --- then wait
The cancellation refund or the unlikely fare differential refund would be back to orignalform of payment
Thanks!

Actually the fare now is about $80 lower than when I booked originally, even though the number of segments increased.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Actually the fare now is about $80 lower than when I booked originally, even though the number of segments increased.
If you feel there is an appreciable fare difference, you need to call now.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:10 pm

Thanks! We'll see what they say, LOL!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. It's extremely unlikely that a downgrade on ALB-IAD would result in an $80 fare difference on on ALB-PVR itinerary. Therefore, there's no reason to wait and take what UA offers after the fact.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:38 pm

Aircraft change to aircraft with no First/Business

Hello, I tried to do a search of this but came up with nothing.

I noticed that United (UA8363) ( Thru AC operated by Jazz) has recently(unsure of when) changed the aircraft from a Canadair Regional Jet 900 to a Bombadier Q400. I had booked two business class seats for BOS - YUL, but I noticed that Q400 has no business class.
Am I eligible or entitled to anything due to a downgrade of a seat? I understand these things happen, but am unsure how to proceed given that I will be flying in a lower class than what I paid for. I was not contacted by the airline and simply noticed this when perusing my travel plans.

TIA

Kevin
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin Delawder
Hello, I tried to do a search of this but came up with nothing.

I noticed that United (UA8363) ( Thru AC operated by Jazz) has recently(unsure of when) changed the aircraft from a Canadair Regional Jet 900 to a Bombadier Q400. I had booked two business class seats for BOS - YUL, but I noticed that Q400 has no business class.
Am I eligible or entitled to anything due to a downgrade of a seat? I understand these things happen, but am unsure how to proceed given that I will be flying in a lower class than what I paid for. I was not contacted by the airline and simply noticed this when perusing my travel plans.

TIA

Kevin
You can contact UA to be moved to a flight with business class, or you can ask for a refund of the fare difference between business class and economy. UA may not use the same economy fare that you'd use. (For example, they might use the current fare, not the fare that you would have paid when you bought the ticket).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. This flight is the first flight which leads to an international leg out of YUL so I'm thinking the flight change wouldn't work. I assumed I would just have to grin and suck it up in this case. Given that I will be going on vacation, would I still be eligible for free drinks(after all, vacation will have started at that point).
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. This flight is the first flight which leads to an international leg out of YUL so I'm thinking the flight change wouldn't work. I assumed I would just have to grin and suck it up in this case. Given that I will be going on vacation, would I still be eligible for free drinks(after all, vacation will have started at that point).
the odds of a free drink on the plane is low unless UA issues you a voucher. The onboard crew won’t know (and most likely won’t care) about the switch.

you may be able to get a phone agent to give you an ETC (UA credit) or some miles. but international J fares are fairly complex and breaking down that flight to Y may have little effect on the end price.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:07 pm

.... Given that I will be going on vacation, would I still be eligible for free drinks(after all, vacation will have started at that point).
May be a tad less desirable then you realize as, unless you have UA status, you will be in E-, not E+ and downgraded situation will earn no extra preqs.
As you appear to be saying on AC operated aircraft, E+ will nmot be an option anyways and doubtful they will be aware of the downgraded situation. I would not expect much of a fare refund as the fare was porobably about the same regardless of the cabin for that flight, but as suggested you might get a small customer goodwill response.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 8, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Do J fares on AC go into Latitude on single-class aircraft? I know PY fares do (or did in the past), that would get free alcoholic beverages.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can contact UA to be moved to a flight with business class, or you can ask for a refund of the fare difference between business class and economy. UA may not use the same economy fare that you'd use. (For example, they might use the current fare, not the fare that you would have paid when you bought the ticket).
It may not be SOP for UA given it's all AC segments (I'm not sure on policies), but could you ask to be put on a UA TATL option out of EWR or IAD that would give you both the connector and long haul in business, or is the destination you're going to only served by AC via YUL? I had a similar situation with a 016 UA ticket but all Copa flights that had a close in schedule change where I lost my J seat on one of the segments due to being sold out, and ended up re-routing on a UA itinerary that was a much higher price originally - didn't take long at all when I called and was never asked to pay anything.. so it essentially was treated the same as a UA schedule change in that regard.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
It may not be SOP for UA given it's all AC segments (I'm not sure on policies), but could you ask to be put on a UA TATL option out of EWR or IAD that would give you both the connector and long haul in business, or is the destination you're going to only served by AC via YUL? I had a similar situation with a 016 UA ticket but all Copa flights that had a close in schedule change where I lost my J seat on one of the segments due to being sold out, and ended up re-routing on a UA itinerary that was a much higher price originally - didn't take long at all when I called and was never asked to pay anything.. so it essentially was treated the same as a UA schedule change in that regard.
Yes, this is absolutely worth asking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.