FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   No love for frequent UAX fliers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1887244-no-love-frequent-uax-fliers.html)

dmurphynj Jan 9, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 29270474)
Same, I fly SFO-DFW regularly on UAX. The E175 is my preference if in Y, but if I get upgraded (~50% of the time), I like the A320 seat+hot meal better.

No better seat in my book than 2A on the E170/E175. Single seat, comfy as all get-out, not by the door, happiest place outside of a lie-flat. I'll happily trade the hot meal on the A320 for it.

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 29270516)
It has always seemed hard to me to make 1K without a handful of paid international business class flights each year. Not impossible, just hard. And I think that is who they are trying to capture the loyalty of. (Whether it is working or primarily a function of routes and price is another matter.)

I guess I should say I'm proud (??) to have made 1K without *any* international travel in '17, in any class of travel. Never left the country, unless you count Texas. :p

But given my PQD was north of $24k, I'd hazard a guess that they don't mind my business ....

mduell Jan 9, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 29269872)
(Express flights seem especially vulnerable to cancellations/delays during meltdowns)

This is intentional, better to impact the RJ with 30 pax than the 777 with 200.

TomMM Jan 9, 2018 3:19 pm

There's certainly no love for UAX from this frequent flier.:p

LordHamster Jan 9, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 29270579)
No better seat in my book than 2A on the E170/E175. Single seat, comfy as all get-out, not by the door, happiest place outside of a lie-flat. I'll happily trade the hot meal on the A320 for it..

This. To be honest Seats 1A and 2A on the E175s are my fav seats in the domestic fleet (except for the lie flats which I rarely take domestic).

To the OP. I feel your pain. I was over 130 segments last year and still can't feel my legs... :)

sexykitten7 Jan 9, 2018 4:02 pm

Well it's the same ratio as Silver/Gold/Plat so you can't very well argue it's unfair.

CCIE_Flyer Jan 9, 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 29269872)
IRROPS handling, particularly hotel for Wx issues (Express flights seem especially vulnerable to cancellations/delays during meltdowns)

Didn't realize that was still a thing (long time since I was 1K) - excellent point.

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds89 (Post 29270017)
Group 1 boarding (RJ overhead bins fill up very fast), E+ seats at booking and the assistance when things for wrong (UAX flights get canceled/delayed far more often in my experience). Additionally, I make several personal trips each year to the West Coast and Europe. When I've schlepping myself on/off RJ145s every week the last thing I want to do on a personal flight is sit in the back :)

Understood all around - although I think most everything you mention (except perhaps the assistance thing?) should be covered by Plat. But obviously 1K is even mo betta!

fumje Jan 9, 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by AugustusM (Post 29269823)
186PQS/272KPQM, I met it both ways. Even if I didn't fly first most of the time I still had an actual 126 flights.

126 flights on CR2's and E145's is a lot different than 126 in even d:pmestic F.

AugustusM Jan 9, 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 29272155)
126 flights on CR2's and E145's is a lot different than 126 in even d:pmestic F.

Very true.

Aspen Jan 9, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29270812)
This is intentional, better to impact the RJ with 30 pax than the 777 with 200.

When was the last time you caught an RJ with 30 pax or a 777 with 200 ? - I wish I had your luck on the routes I fly.

PushingTin Jan 9, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm not a segment guy, but I fly UX when stateside and I fly LH international since I can get upgrades at booking and they have direct flights to the EU all year round. I don't know how the dollars lay down, but I only spent about 14k last year- and I had one P fare back from China.

I get 175s now and then- have one next week. Nice. 170s are GTG, like a big 700.

On the 1k. More miles by multiplier. RPUs and GPUs that are tricky to use. If I did only stateside flying, I'd get gold or maybe plat, and then work on another airline status. 1K is all about the GPUs.

Mid week flight tomorrow, to a Delta hub from DEN, and I am closer to the bottom of the UGL than the top. The economy is booming and ninjas travel more, and there are too many 1Ks. And frankly, UA really doesn't care. They care about GS and INTL J.

matrixwalker2012 Jan 9, 2018 9:49 pm

On the other extreme, you can fly SIN-LAX-MEL in full J and earn 100,416 PQMs on just one roundtrip.

Surely a ticket like this will net you over $12,000 PQDs.

And you’d just barely squeak by the 4 segment minimum too!😂

For such a trip, your stats would be 100,416 PQM, 6 PQS, Over 12,000 PQDs, and 4 of 4 segments minimum.

PushingTin Jan 10, 2018 1:07 am

UA has definitely set the game up to favor higher fares. At the same time, they have done a lot more price discrimination on F cabin P and Z fares. Lot less CPUs going out and a lot more P fares being bought. And I don't blame people, especially ones with out status. Get a cheap Y fare and upgrade it, or just buy P fares and you get the bags free (right?), a meal (except out of DEN), go from an E- seat to a F seat and get on the plane with your bags. Often for $150-200 per leg. Not cheap, but if you stack all those benefits, it isn't that much of a premium.

If it weren't for F cabin mile multipliers, I wouldn't have made 1K this year. After easily making it for a few years, I only had one TATL and one TPAC.

If you buy P fares, you only need 50k miles BIS. It is better to buy some P fares on longer UX flights instead of having to buy miles to make 1K at the end of the year.