Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

does one fly with flu when basic economy $500 fare is non-changeable/refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does one fly with flu when basic economy $500 fare is non-changeable/refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

I'm trying to get a relative to NOT fly tomorrow because he has the flu.(at least according to his doctor) With meds, he is fine during most of the day.. at least during the last few days.

He bought a Basic Economy ticket that was a little more than $500... I called UA and spoke to a few different agents. All said there was nothing they could do... no changes allowed, even if he was willing to pay a change fee.

Now he is determined to fly anyway because, well... you know how older people get when it comes to money, especially $500+.. I guess he should have purchased some kind of travel insurance, but he didn't(again, you know how older people are)

any advice appreciated...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
He should NOT fly.

1) Because if he really does have diagnosed flu, he would be exposing tons of people to it unnecessarily.

2) Just because he feels okay on the ground doesn't mean he will feel okay in the air, especially since airplane air can dehydrate you (something not needed if you are already possibly dehydrated from fever).

What is the reason for travel? If it's just a vacation/personal trip, cancel it and write it off to lesson learned. If it's business travel, he needs to talk to his employer. Whatever he does he should not fly.
PTravel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by wrp96
He should NOT fly.

1) Because if he really does have diagnosed flu, he would be exposing tons of people to it unnecessarily.

2) Just because he feels okay on the ground doesn't mean he will feel okay in the air, especially since airplane air can dehydrate you (something not needed if you are already possibly dehydrated from fever).

What is the reason for travel? If it's just a vacation/personal trip, cancel it and write it off to lesson learned. If it's business travel, he needs to talk to his employer. Whatever he does he should not fly.
Or he can tell his seat mates that he has the flu, and suggest to United that they move people to create a bubble around him. Tell his seatmates to have their lawyers suing United to call him and he will testify as to how UA refused to change his flight....

My guess is that if he goes to the airport, UA will refuse to transport him, and send him home. In which case he gets his refund/change of flight....
b00mer89 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLT
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but why no travel insurance? I've noticed many Americans don't have it - is it a cultural thing?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spin88
My guess is that if he goes to the airport, UA will refuse to transport him, and send him home. In which case he gets his refund/change of flight....
that's what I was wondering.... but he does NOT appear or sound sick at all, at least not during the day.

if he does somehow start to appear and sound sick at the airport tomorrow and United doesn't let me fly, will he really be allowed a refund or rebooking? I spoke with UA's Premier desk agent who said NO because the fare was Basic Economy(also the fact that he got no status with UA)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:56 am

Did he purchase with credit card? A bunch come with travel insurance.
Gnopps and soulie like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but why no travel insurance? I've noticed many Americans don't have it - is it a cultural thing?
guess so... but millions still don't have health insurance(caught in the Obamacare hole and didn't qualify for subsidy)... not to mention just simple health insurance for travelling to Europe...
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Lets just start with they purchased a PE ticket.
In The 216 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
With meds, he is fine during most of the day.. at least during the last few days.
A few years ago, I got a nasty cold (don't know if it was officially "flu") a week before planned vacation in hawaii (award flights booked 11 mos days ). So I got doped up on day/nyquil and the vacation went as well as had not had cold.
soulie likes this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Unless your friend is trying to fly home.. why would he want to go on this trip while having the flu? He should not fly.

Because if you can take the loss (variance) without a massive financial impact, insurance is by its nature a losing proposition?
pfpdx, Michilander, JBord and 1 others like this.
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
BE = basic economy
PE = premium economy

You're in the wrong forum if you're looking to castigate someone for buying a PE ticket
getagb and AStarr like this.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
?

United now has PE tickets?
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark

Because if you can take the loss (variance) without a massive financial impact, insurance is by its nature a losing proposition?
unless one needs to use it?

while not the same thing, I always buy extended warranties on expensive electronics and computers. (Best Buy or Square Trade are the only two that I trust) I have always come out on top. I can't think of an expensive Macbook Pro or TV or DSLR that I've have had in the last years that did require some kind of repair or accidental replacement during the first 3 years.... then again, I do use my stuff hard because I travel to all sorts of places.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum

For domestic travel, I'll generally take the gamble of no travel insurance. For international travel, insurance is always a must.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Travel insurance, like all other insurance, is betting on an unlikely outcome. If in the long run you gain more from insurance than you've paid you are the small minority. Otherwise every insurance company would go bankrupt and stop selling insurance.

Wouldn't try to claim Americans are better at math than others, but perhaps they get this one right more often?
Miggles, NY-FLA, pfpdx and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.