Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Our commitment to California" email

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But how can United compete with LCCs doing their best to go after the California customer? Maybe they could create a special division... they could call it... I got it... TED. RAR!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_(airline)
I've said it before and will say it again, I miss TED.... I flew up and town intra-California a LOT in those days and never thought twice about taking United. Pre-9/11 security, cheap, easy, competed very well against WN and for me always won. But even post-TED, I still took UA between LAX, BUR, SAN, OAK, SJC, SMF all the time, now I never think UA for intra-California. Always WN.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: None anymore
I already see United ramping up California operations - Kirby himself feels the need to increase the number of daily passengers from regional airports in CA to their hubs, SFO/LAX. Frankly I welcome it.

Where I think they can do better, however, is that they have minimal ground crew in places like FAT yet they have 3 flights out at a time with hours of lull in between - meaning that they don't have the ground crew capacity so one or two of the three flights go out late every time.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: UA, HHonors
I know of several state employees who used to fly SMF-ACV direct, on a prop plane of course, but at least you could easily do a round trip on a single day and still get a full day's work in.

No more. You have to do SMF-SFO-ACV. Everyone realized it takes just as long to drive, so I'm sure there's an expiration date on the SFO-ACV segment. Those planes are so damn empty it's only a matter of time.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by greeksurfer
I know of several state employees who used to fly SMF-ACV direct, on a prop plane of course, but at least you could easily do a round trip on a single day and still get a full day's work in.

No more. You have to do SMF-SFO-ACV. Everyone realized it takes just as long to drive, so I'm sure there's an expiration date on the SFO-ACV segment. Those planes are so damn empty it's only a matter of time.
There is a new UAX ACV-LAX daily flight starting in June loaded into the schedules.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=abaheti;29272959]I've said it before and will say it again, I miss TED.... I/QUOTE]

No! Perish the thought. I hated TED. And please no one propose a President TED.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by warrenw
Where I think they can do better, however, is that they have minimal ground crew in places like FAT yet they have 3 flights out at a time with hours of lull in between - meaning that they don't have the ground crew capacity so one or two of the three flights go out late every time.
I was trying to reference something similar in an earlier quote. When UAX had CIC-SFO service, I noted that flights were often late because they were relying on getting small planes into and out of SFO ... which, given the configuration of the runways and the weather there, is a recipe for disaster. Planes were frequently late. I heard more arguments between pax and gate agents there than anywhere else. And the real reason is that no one seemed to get that the ATC delays were simply out of the controls of the people at CIC.

While I'd prefer to get somewhere within California on UA with a connection over flying non-stop on WN (maybe a minority opinion), forcing these types of connection through SFO seems like a big mistake. Count me in the camp of those who'd prefer more service to more markets over more mainline flights.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by FATFlyer
UA has been growing Fresno in recent months. After being dominant at FAT for decades UA/UAX had fallen behind AA/Eagle in O&D passengers and was only a few thousand passengers ahead of the Alaska branded flights.
The flight that made me 1K for the very first time in 1997 was.... BUR-FAT on UAX. I still have that boarding pass.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
UA has been growing Fresno in recent months. After being dominant at FAT for decades UA/UAX had fallen behind AA/Eagle in O&D passengers and was only a few thousand passengers ahead of the Alaska branded flights.

UA already converted 1 of the SFO-FAT frequencies back to mainline last August. A 2nd SFO-FAT frequency is converting to mainline in late April 2018. LAX-FAT frequency on UAX is also being increased.

Then a few weeks ago UA announced a ORD-FAT E75 flight beginning in June 2018.

Surprising for FAT to be receiving new service from UA, especially the return of mainline flights.
Hi fellow Fresno flyer! I'm there 4-5 times a year to visit my parents.

I took the 737 mainline from Fresno last month, but I have to say that the ticket counter and ground staff can't really keep up that early in the morning with that flight, DEN, and LAX all leaving within 20-30 minutes of each other.... I will say it was the fastest flight I've ever taken FAT-SFO though.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Years ago, I was a very loyal UA flyer. It's hard to pick an exact point in time where things changed in my mind, but I think it all began with Smisek and his "I think you’ll like the changes you see ..." statement.
Well, Jeff and the UA board missed the side of the barn with that one... and the subsequent changes, so here we are.
And when UA says they are making another change we will like, my initial reaction is pessimism.
Can they turn the ship around? Of course... but will they?
PTravel likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by abaheti
I've said it before and will say it again, I miss TED.... I flew up and town intra-California a LOT in those days and never thought twice about taking United. Pre-9/11 security, cheap, easy, competed very well against WN and for me always won. But even post-TED, I still took UA between LAX, BUR, SAN, OAK, SJC, SMF all the time, now I never think UA for intra-California. Always WN.
The people that flew from Europe (FIRST CLASS) and connected to TED or the SHUTTLE weren't too pleased about being transferred to a crap economy seat on a 5 or 6 hour flight from IAD, EWR, JFK to the west coast.
Not too smart, when their competitors had F/C ALL-THE-WAY! These were just a few of the bright ideas that failed, BIG TIME, and BE is right behind!

If it ain't broken they'll fix it!!!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Two Bee
The people that flew from Europe (FIRST CLASS) and connected to TED or the SHUTTLE weren't too pleased about being transferred to a crap economy seat on a 5 or 6 hour flight from IAD, EWR, JFK to the west coast.
Not too smart, when their competitors had F/C ALL-THE-WAY! These were just a few of the bright ideas that failed, BIG TIME, and BE is right behind!

If it ain't broken they'll fix it!!!
Don’t lump Ted & the Shuttle into the same narrative. Shuttle (by United) never flew from the east coast, and it had first class (and no change fees on purely Shuttle itineraries). I honestly think there could still be a market for it today. Ted was a totally different animal.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Intra-California I think I was mostly on Shuttle, and we had first class (which I got bumped up to almost every time). But even with TED inside California I don't recall the planes being any different. Never flew anything but normal UA when leaving the north-south California treks. For the (basically) one hour flights between LAX-OAK-SMF-SJC-SFO-SAN, it was all great and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.