Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best UK/EUR Airport with UA Service to Land At?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best UK/EUR Airport with UA Service to Land At?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
but then you still have to get from the Paris train station to your final destination.
Which is also true if you take the RER, unless you're very close to a station.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
from LAX to ???

Originally Posted by jkumpire
Hello folks! Knowing only enough to be dangerous I hope this basic question will not irritate much. Mods, please feel free to move it if its not in the right place.
I am trying to plan a trip to England/Scotland in 2019.ADD: Thank you for the questions LAX Planning to fly J, no status, will have access to UA club via Chase Bank charge account. Final destination (still up in air): St. Andrews, Scotland or London itself.
Err, let's see if I have this correct? You want to fly out of LAX, and are worried about conditions in European airports??

I get that you have not been to Europe before. Let me tell you - any European airport I have visited is better than LAX.

Let's see. LHR, BRU, MUC, MXP, DUB, VIE, BUD, VCE, CDG, CPH, & OSL are all much nicer than LAX (IMO). Seriously, if I was in your shoes, I would try to avoid cnx. in FRA & KEF where its crowded (like in LAX).

BTW, if you are reading the headlines, try to avoid cnx. in JFK as well!
Silver Fox and LondonElite like this.

Last edited by Antonio8069; Jan 8, 2018 at 12:23 pm Reason: addition
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I fly in and out of MAN all the time - it really is not bad at all with plenty of facilities and lounges etc.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:02 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
LHR T2 has probably the quickest security of any in Europe, with the possible exception of the First Wing BA operate in T5. I would be amazed if there’s more than a 3 minute queue through Fast Track.

I do have the advantage of an UK passport, and therefore are less affected by immigration queues, but I don’t particularly ever recall seeing massive queues in non-EU lines.

So yes, there is a reasonably long walk from T2B after you land - but you’re looking at 10 minutes, not half an hour. The Underground station is extremely close. I would expect to be in central London within an hour of stepping off the plane.

Going back out, the UA lounge is absolutely excellent. There’s no issue getting a seat. T2 is operating well within capacity so there’s never a problem at the gates - it’s a well designed terminal.

Whatever you’ve read on the internet, disregard it.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:10 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I fly in and out of MAN all the time - it really is not bad at all with plenty of facilities and lounges etc.
Hmm, I found check-in pretty unpleasant, but that was for either Lufthansa or Swiss I think. No space at all with long lines of pax getting in each others way. After check-in it was okay but I think I'd choose LHR terminal 2 any day.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Antonio said - I find LAX far and away worse than any of the UK airports. I am not super keen on CDG, so wouldn't recommend that - I certainly think Heathrow is better than CDG.

if you ultimate destination is Scotland, then both Glasgow and Edinburgh are fine - not particularly fancy, and certainly a lot smaller than Heathrow. Cannot comment on United lounge / flight connections though.

I would fly to where you want to go, and rest assured that there is nothing that bad about UK airports. Especially with a business class ticket!

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Err, let's see if I have this correct? You want to fly out of LAX, and are worried about conditions in European airports??

I get that you have not been to Europe before. Let me tell you - any European airport I have visited is better than LAX.

Let's see. LHR, BRU, MUC, MXP, DUB, VIE, BUD, VCE, CDG, CPH, & OSL are all much nicer than LAX (IMO). Seriously, if I was in your shoes, I would try to avoid cnx. in FRA & KEF where its crowded (like in LAX).

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Ah, no sir. I have no interest in ever seeing LAX again as long as I live. SFO is a decent place, but LAX is awful.

. If you reread the post I am answering the questions asked by the person who wrote the first response to my question, and he has "LAX" in his screen name.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
But it's full of Mancunians . (a big problem for a Leodensian ).
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Thank you for your responses so far, I greatly appreciate them.

Since the Internet never lies I have read on several different sites (airliners.net is one I read often) that UK airports are truly awful, mostly for the reasons I stated in my first post. And while I know some of may information may be vague it is because finding J awards f4rom the US to the UK/Europe are very, very difficult to find, and I am really not interested in exploring Scotland/England when the temperature is from 0-5 C! I would be willing to make the sacrifice of a multi-hour train ride from CDG (for example) to get the tickets, especially if an open jaw or excursionist perk is more likely that a direct A-B flight.

Since this might be my only opportunity to see part of Europe/UK, if I had to go somewhere else to get where I want to go that is not necessarily a problem. Better to be flexible than commit to only one place, it seems to me. That's why I asked if there is an airport that has a level of ease of use/service than others.

For example, LHR is probably a great airport in many ways for a foreign tourist to use, unless the crowds are massive, security/immigration is slow, and transport out is a problem. I don't mind long walk in airports, but I do mind having to stand around because there are no seats at a gate, or if there are so many stores travelers trying to make a gate are delayed by shopping or other roadblocks that shouldn't be there (IMO). Maybe I just read too many posts by too many jaded flyers who fly so much there is little joy left in the experience of flying, or remember a idyllic time in the past when things were different/better than they are now.
This isn't the domestic terminal at Kathmandu or anything. There might be crowds yes, but these are all perfectly acceptable airports and most definitely not worth an intentional detour of half a day just because there might be no seats at the gate.
AStarr likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TCD
Hmm, I found check-in pretty unpleasant, but that was for either Lufthansa or Swiss I think. No space at all with long lines of pax getting in each others way. After check-in it was okay but I think I'd choose LHR terminal 2 any day.
I'm with you on this. I regularly choose T2 LHR over MAN all the time despite the longer train because it's just so much nicer...

In regards to EU/UK airports, after flying MCO, EWR, JFK, ATL, and IAD, etc I'd take both MAN and LHR over the American airports any day... I have a thing about T2 LHR right now though so I'm biased. KEF is pretty bad at times regarding crowds. CPH is wonderful if you're down by the C/D gates (before you reach passport control). Luggage can be a bit slow but I've had checked bags some 15 times with SAS last year without any issues whatsoever. LGW reminds me of MCO in not a good way. Nothing like American airports in my opinion.

Last edited by AStarr; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The more I read about UK airports the more I'm convinced they are across-the-board awful, with massive problems everywhere from baggage claim to security to tiny seating areas at gates because the airport authority turns their concourses into malls to sell stuff, making getting around the airport a pain.
I suggest you take a trip to PAP before venturing into those "awful UK airports".
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Thank you for your responses so far, I greatly appreciate them.

Since the Internet never lies I have read on several different sites (airliners.net is one I read often) that UK airports are truly awful, mostly for the reasons I stated in my first post. And while I know some of may information may be vague it is because finding J awards f4rom the US to the UK/Europe are very, very difficult to find, and I am really not interested in exploring Scotland/England when the temperature is from 0-5 C! I would be willing to make the sacrifice of a multi-hour train ride from CDG (for example) to get the tickets, especially if an open jaw or excursionist perk is more likely that a direct A-B flight.

Since this might be my only opportunity to see part of Europe/UK, if I had to go somewhere else to get where I want to go that is not necessarily a problem. Better to be flexible than commit to only one place, it seems to me. That's why I asked if there is an airport that has a level of ease of use/service than others.

For example, LHR is probably a great airport in many ways for a foreign tourist to use, unless the crowds are massive, security/immigration is slow, and transport out is a problem. I don't mind long walk in airports, but I do mind having to stand around because there are no seats at a gate, or if there are so many stores travelers trying to make a gate are delayed by shopping or other roadblocks that shouldn't be there (IMO). Maybe I just read too many posts by too many jaded flyers who fly so much there is little joy left in the experience of flying, or remember a idyllic time in the past when things were different/better than they are now.

Frankly, if I am J class seats for the trip I can live in anything that is a lie-down seat. So flying EWR-EDI on a 752 or 763 instead of a 789 EWR-LHR doesn't matter,

Your answers are very helpful and thank for taking the time to answer my questions.
there are plenty of seats in T2. Not sure why folks are saying otherwise.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:45 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Just to confirm what others have said: there is nothing at all wrong with Heathrow. Especially if you are in J. Arrivals Lounge access when you arrive, Fast Track security and immigration, a very good United Club when you depart, and direct access to the London Underground as well as the Heathrow Express train to a major train station.

Plus, United has a LOT of flights from LHR, so if yours is cancelled or delayed, no problem getting rebooked.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
In all honesty, I think that both LHR T2 & T5 are far better than most of US terminals.

I think OP refers to recent problems with snow & ice in Winter which can happen everywhere (FRA was also closed but I'll take LHR T2&5 any time over FRA T1 or T2).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
What about United airlines 'service' at European airports?
For example, there are dedicated agents at LHR to handle IRROPS or weird situations. Less at outstations (usually limited to +/- 4 hours to when a flight is departing). Is this something you as a traveler take into consideration when you travel on United? Or do you rely on the 1K line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.