Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United fares to Europe high?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Having been just pleased and amazed to find UA SFO-LHR economy in May for about $550 (several dates, all with SNS) for my own purposes, I just checked for AUS-LHR for those dates and they all came up at about $890. Obviously not as cheap as the SFO-LHR sale, but far from $5-6K.
SFO-LHR has been in the $500-600 range quite often recently. I've used it as a jumping off point for the rest of Europe.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I am also seeing crazy fares to Europe. Specifically EWR-BCN in February and March. Everything prices around 2k+.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by expressboy
I am also seeing crazy fares to Europe. Specifically EWR-BCN in February and March. Everything prices around 2k+.
As mentioned upthread, the issue appears to be the SNS requirements. Almost all dates in Feb and Mar appear around ~$500 when you add a SNS:

https://goo.gl/flights/A9JL
https://goo.gl/flights/ivZZ
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
What is SNS? Always learning new things on FT. :-)
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
What is SNS? Always learning new things on FT. :-)
Saturday night stay
Pat89339 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
As mentioned upthread, the issue appears to be the SNS requirements. Almost all dates in Feb and Mar appear around ~$500 when you add a SNS:

https://goo.gl/flights/A9JL
https://goo.gl/flights/ivZZ
Look at these dates. Include an SNS but crazy prices

https://goo.gl/flights/gYed
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA
I'm seeing nutso prices as well. 8 grand to fly anywhere business class in Europe on United. Even with stops. Google flights will show a much more reasonable price, but when you look at the fare....it immediately goes up to 8 grand. And that's with a SNS. Looks like a bug. UA apparently has a pricing policy of hammering Houston customers, but this is beyond what any reasonable person would pay
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:52 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Maybe there's something going on those weekends in BCN that they know about. You remove the discount carriers / weird connections and only TAP has <$700 fares. Seems all the majors are high priced those weekends, NYC-BCN:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...D8;md=960;eo=e

Maybe take the train from Madrid:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...D8;md=960;eo=e
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I was looking at DEN-FRA for early June and it is pricing fairly high. Even with a SNS (or 7 day stay), it's coming out over 2K for economy. Without the SNS/7day it's pricing at $3400. I think that this is just another data point that they are not releasing cheap fares for long-lead-time buying.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I've already purchased a month or so ago east coast RT to AMS and CDG for what would have been about $2.8K for business, but for applying a GPU on one leg making it $2.3K, so I suspect it is just pricing software fluctuations which might come down again, whether J or Y.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Just be careful if booking Air Canada that many of their European routes are now flown by AC Rouge. High density LCC service at mainline prices . Have avoided them like the plague due to their reputation but I see Paris, Barcelona, Athens, Glasgow and Edinburgh are Rouge. They have also been known to sell it as a mainline flight and then Rouge it later, with no notification to you.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
February is "Spring"?

Middle of April there are LH marketed /UA operated for $1000 ...from AUS to FRA...or $837 to BCN on LH/UA or to BCN $1289 on all UA...
Well the crocuses should be out by then.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fizzer
Just be careful if booking Air Canada that many of their European routes are now flown by AC Rouge. High density LCC service at mainline prices . Have avoided them like the plague due to their reputation but I see Paris, Barcelona, Athens, Glasgow and Edinburgh are Rouge. They have also been known to sell it as a mainline flight and then Rouge it later, with no notification to you.
At least Rouge still offers all *A gold benefits. Most of the *A owned LCC's do not (ex. Eurowings, Thai Smile, Silkair)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:52 am

Please don't give them ideas,
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I'm seeing nutso prices as well. 8 grand to fly anywhere business class in Europe on United. Even with stops. Google flights will show a much more reasonable price, but when you look at the fare....it immediately goes up to 8 grand. And that's with a SNS. Looks like a bug. UA apparently has a pricing policy of hammering Houston customers, but this is beyond what any reasonable person would pay
I'm seeing more reasonable prices now for 7 day trips in April, like $1250 RT AUS-BCN in Y and $5700 for J. My original searches were for one way/multi-city (we are returning to the US via ship), which were 2x that just for the AUS-BCN portion. (I was hoping to use some expiring GPUs.)

Maybe when I started searching RT fares I had weird dates or triggered some strange bug on united.com resulting in the crazy-high fares. Their search UX is awful - it remembers some stuff if you return to the advanced search page but other fields have to be re-entered every time. Changing only the date on the flight results page can change other search parameters without warning.

In retrospect, I probably should have checked RT fares with a distant return date, maybe the more normal Y fares would have shown up. I could have just abandoned the return leg or tried to repurpose it for another trip. But we booked J for a very reasonable rate via the cruise line. (I hate yielding control of flight details, but the price was right.) Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.