Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:25 am

Can I do an SDC to change my flight destination from BOS to MHT ? (MHT is Manchester Boston Regional Airport) the price ticket is the same but I currently see a 200$ change fee since I'm not yet within the 24hr window. Will the 200$ change fee still apply (I'm United Gold) within the 24hrs since it's a different airport destination?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tilhas
Can I do an SDC to change my flight destination from BOS to MHT ? (MHT is Manchester Boston Regional Airport) the price ticket is the same but I currently see a 200$ change fee since I'm not yet within the 24hr window. Will the 200$ change fee still apply (I'm United Gold) within the 24hrs since it's a different airport destination?
"The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same."
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by narvik
"The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same."
Also in WIKI

Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA

2 Questions.
1) What is a HUACA?
2) My current flight is multi city with stop over in BOS. Soo technically the destination didn't change?
YUL-BOS-TUL-YUL
Changing BOS to MHT
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Also in WIKI

Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A

2 Questions.
1) What is a HUACA?....
Hang Up And Call Again
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Booked SFO-BOS in economy, with PZ1 at the time of booking. Confirmed upgrade using a GPU once the ticket was confirmed. Fast forward to check-in, and the app let me SDC from PZ to Z on a different flight (same route.)
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
2) My current flight is multi city with stop over in BOS. Soo technically the destination didn't change?
YUL-BOS-TUL-YUL
Changing BOS to MHT
With a stopover you have an intermediate destination, a destination for the SDC, so not allow and except in irroprs very unlikely to occur.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:45 pm

Okay, I think I’ve seen some versions of my question answered already but I just want to be sure:

I’m currently booked to fly CVG-IAH-LIR on Friday afternoon. I’d like to fly CVG-IAH Thursday evening but keep my same IAH-LIR flight on Friday, creating an illegal stopover. Can I do this in the app or should I pray for a merciful CSR? I’m a lowly silver so I don’t think that helps much. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, app won’t offer you any connections using any of your original flights. So if you want to keep either of your flights the same, it will require a call.

Also:
- reports here in the last little while have indicated the app seems to now only offer actual same day options, as opposed to flights at +/- 1 day (within 24 hours), even though the rules haven’t changed. So may require a call anyway.
- while creating a stopover isn’t technically allowed, the app used to offer this all the time, and some agents don’t seem to have a problem worth it. So it might not be the first one, but YMMV.
- Not sure what fare class you are in, but switching to a Thursday evening flight is generally tougher, especially in lower classes, since this is prime business travel time. So unless you are in one of the highest fare classes, and absent an abnormal week with reduced business travel (ie, around holidays, etc.), Id expect to have a fare increase to SDC - again, YMMV.

Either way, this will almost certainly require a call, but can likely be done...though may need to HUCA.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skelso
I’m currently booked to fly CVG-IAH-LIR on Friday afternoon. I’d like to fly CVG-IAH Thursday evening but keep my same IAH-LIR flight on Friday, creating an illegal stopover. Can I do this in the app or should I pray for a merciful CSR? I’m a lowly silver so I don’t think that helps much. Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Good news! Costa Rica, while on the North American continent, is not in the North America fare zone. Therefore, your CVG-LIR fare allows 24 hour transfers, making a Thursday night flight completely valid -- it does not create a stopover. You'll almost certainly need to call, and you'll need your current fare class to be available all the way from CVG to LIR, including on the flight you're already on, but you shouldn't get a ton of pushback. If you do, HUCA.

(Also, some -- but not all -- fares on this route include a $100 stopover in Houston, so even if you wanted to stay longer than 24 hours at IAH, you may find that it's not too pricy).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:13 am

When I SDC, if my new connection is over 4 hours, the tickets are cancelled by United Corporate. When I call they say the connection was over 4 hours, after an hour on hold. This is true even when the airport does the SDC to the next morning. E.g., I have a ticket for LAX-SFO-SEA. I land in SFO at noon and push out SFO-SEA from 2PM till 8 AM. Airport lets me do it, it will be cancelled within hour.

This has happened to me pretty regularly. I would be interested in people's experience if this happens to them, what the rules are - because it's not clear. I'd also be interested if anyone has suggestions on a credit card that would help insure against the airline cancelling the ticket or some other idea. It's awful when they cancel my ticket and strand me in these cities, even as a 1K they don't comp me for hotel and other forced costs then.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Derek Khanna
Originally Posted by Derek Khanna
This has happened to me pretty regularly. ...
Would guess you done this on a regular basis and your account has been flagged, so a human is reviewing your changes

... what the rules are - because it's not clear. .....
It has been generally assumed the fare rules still apply with a waiver of the change fees. Breaking the fare rules to change a connection to a stopover has been understood to be outside the rules (and questionable) but the systems have not been enforcing that requirement. Appears your activities have been noticed and UA is manually enforcing that rule.

Since UA has told you this, continuing to do this is at your risk and I would not expect accommodation from UA if you continue doing this. There is the remote possibility UA will take more severe sanctions if you continue.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has happened to me pretty regularly. I would be interested in people's experience if this happens to them, what the rules are - because it's not clear. I'd also be interested if anyone has suggestions on a credit card that would help insure against the airline cancelling the ticket or some other idea. It's awful when they cancel my ticket and strand me in these cities, even as a 1K they don't comp me for hotel and other forced costs then.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The rules are actually quite clear, but they're not to your benefit. On a domestic itinerary, any transfer longer than four hours is a stopover, and virtually no discount UA domestic fares allow for stopovers. Thus, UA is entitled to collect the fare difference during the SDC process.

As for canceling the tickets, UA is on shaky ground there, IMO. While their CoC protects them against ticketing practices they consider abusive -- and what you're describing would qualify -- I think the DOT would frown on them refusing to reinstate your original itinerary.

I do agree with WineCountryUA, though; it sounds like you've gotten yourself on a list.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
When I SDC, if my new connection is over 4 hours, the tickets are cancelled by United Corporate. When I call they say the connection was over 4 hours, after an hour on hold. This is true even when the airport does the SDC to the next morning. E.g., I have a ticket for LAX-SFO-SEA. I land in SFO at noon and push out SFO-SEA from 2PM till 8 AM. Airport lets me do it, it will be cancelled within hour.

Only when you push it for an overnight connection or have they actually canceled an itinerary where your connection was same-day, just over 4 hours? And only when you had someone at the airport rebook it for you, or also via app/website? While I see how UA wants to protect themselves against people circumventing the fare rules, it seems like the least they could do is (have you) call and tell you that the change you made requires payment of a fare difference.

I've had the situation once or twice where I SDC'd to a different connection on the UA website, it showed a $0 payment, but when I went ahead and booked this connection, it told me to call customer care because the ticket needed to be reissued. When I called, they told me that the connection I selected wasn't actually free, and that a fare difference of $X needed to be collected -- in which case I decided to go with the original routing.

COC obligations go both ways, and the airline cannot arbitrarily cancel your ticket after one of their employees made a change to it. Flagging you and reversing the change is one way of dealing with it, canceling out your tickets screams WDWYB at me...
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
The rules are actually quite clear, but they're not to your benefit. On a domestic itinerary, any transfer longer than four hours is a stopover, and virtually no discount UA domestic fares allow for stopovers. Thus, UA is entitled to collect the fare difference during the SDC process.
The fact that their systems allow, indeed even proactively offer, $0 changes to flights that result in connection times >4 hours (IRROPS excluded) would tend to mitigate the passenger's responsibility, IMHO (IANAL).

I once accidentally did an SDC during a DEN connection that was to a flight the next morning. (My watch was on a different time zone that led me to believe I was changing onto a flight that would depart in 45 minutes that had indeed already left the gate; always check the DATE on SDC.) I've rarely felt stupider than at that moment. Fortunately, an undertanding CSR at the airport was able to subsequently switch me to a flight later that same day.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Flagging you and reversing the change is one way of dealing with it, canceling out your tickets screams WDWYB at me...
What does that mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.