Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
that's the other thing I was thinking... I think I'll try wait list.

Originally Posted by findark
SDC does not provide any additional inventory benefits - you would still need IN space on your new flight.

As a 1K, SDC actually provides no additional benefit at all on award tickets, because you can change your ticket for free anyway. In theory, you should also be able to waitlist for IN space on the alternate flight right now, assuming that makes sense (clearing the waitlist leaves you with a valid ticket).
Old May 24, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is now the new behavior. You can no longer SDC the IAH-YYZ segment to anything other than another non-stop IAH-YYZ segment on the *same day* via the app. You can still call United and have them make the change for you and they'll do it.
Haven't flown for a while nor seen any more recent reports. Is this still the case? If I’m flying ORD-BOS can I no longer SDC to ORD-EWR-BOS (or ORD-SFO-EWR-BOS &#128579 in the app? If true, have phone and airport agents recently been willing to accommodate these requests?
Old May 24, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by getagb

Haven't flown for a while nor seen any more recent reports. Is this still the case? If I’m flying ORD-BOS can I no longer SDC to ORD-EWR-BOS (or ORD-SFO-EWR-BOS &#128579 in the app? If true, have phone and airport agents recently been willing to accommodate these requests?
You should still be able to SDC an ORD-BOS to ORD-EWR-BOS. However, once in ORD the app will only present EWR-BOS non-stops on the same calendar day making unlimited routing changes over an indefinite amount of time no longer possible.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
I have a CDG-EWR-SFO flight (P fare) that now might be anywhere from 2-3 days too early after an event got pushed out. A couple of questions:

1) Sounds like I can do multiple SDCs to extend my trip out a few days. Do the routings all have to be the same? For example, can I grab CDG-ORD-SFO then extend with CDG-SFO, and so on?

2) Is it better to grab the first routing available if later scheduled flights are not yet offered or should I wait for later options to minimize the number of times I need to SDC?

3) Any unforeseen issues I should look out for since this is my first time attempting multiple SDCs?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
increasing layover with SDC

Must be answered already...not sure I have found it exactly...

LAX-SFO-NRT with 22 hour layover in SFO as permitted in rules about international layover. Can you SDC to an earlier LAX-SFO that would put the layover over the 24 hour layover limit, or would the system prevent that?
Old May 25, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
,,, LAX-SFO-NRT with 22 hour layover in SFO as permitted in rules about international layover. Can you SDC to an earlier LAX-SFO that would put the layover over the 24 hour layover limit, or would the system prevent that?
You would be SDCing the entire LAX-SFO-NRT, one can not SDC just a single segment when there are other unflown segments. So if the system offers the desired option, then yes but doubt the app will. So you will have to call and suspect most (but maybe not all) will not make the change.

This extending the "layover" works best if you are only changing the last segment, the first segment is a great challenge.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You would be SDCing the entire LAX-SFO-NRT, one can not SDC just a single segment when there are other unflown segments. So if the system offers the desired option, then yes but doubt the app will. So you will have to call and suspect most (but maybe not all) will not make the change.

This extending the "layover" works best if you are only changing the last segment, the first segment is a great challenge.
are stopovers allowed as a segment break? Or just a connecting layover? If it is a break, one should be able to sdc?
Old May 25, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks

are stopovers allowed as a segment break? Or just a connecting layover? If it is a break, one should be able to sdc?
Historically the app SDC has allowed creation of stopovers, by rolling to whatever the latest next flight option is, but they have tightened the options it offers. I don't think it was ever technically within the rules to do that, though.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Anyone found that the app is lately not showing all sdc eligible options, particularly direct connections in P class?
Old May 25, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence

You should still be able to SDC an ORD-BOS to ORD-EWR-BOS. However, once in ORD the app will only present EWR-BOS non-stops on the same calendar day making unlimited routing changes over an indefinite amount of time no longer possible.
Thanks. I wrote to global services and they responded:

Thank you for being a Global Services member!

I apologize for the delay in responding back to you.

After checking with our website support team, I'm pleased to inform we have no reported problems with the United app as well as no changes to how the system works. However, when making a same day change on the app and you have boarded the airplane (ORD), you will be presented with the next segment of your trip (EWR - BOS). Once you board the airplane, the system will close out that flight segment coupon (ORD) because you are checked-in and sitting on the airplane.

If you were making the same day change on the app and has not boarded the airplane as well as not checked-in for the flight, the app should still show all available flight segments on your itinerary and allow you to make the same day change. If you are checked-in for the flight and want to make a same day change, please contact the Global Services Call Center for assistance due to they will have to uncheck you off of the flight prior to the same day change being made. I hope this information is helpful.

We appreciate your valuable business, continued loyalty and support. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your next United flight.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-SFO-NRT with 22 hour layover in SFO as permitted in rules about international layover. Can you SDC to an earlier LAX-SFO that would put the layover over the 24 hour layover limit, or would the system prevent that?
There is a good chance that the app will allow this, because it will treat LAX-SFO and SFO-NRT as being separate trips due to the overnight transfer. I would not recommend trying to add a segment, however — I wouldn’t try to go LAX-SBA-SFO or anything. You may be less likely to get an agent to do this, as it is technically a rules violation.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You would be SDCing the entire LAX-SFO-NRT, one can not SDC just a single segment when there are other unflown segments.
Except when there’s an overnight transfer involved. I’ve flown on tickets like this before, and UA’s front-end system breaks the journey due to the change of date. For example, bags will be checked LAX-SFO, only the LAX-SFO boarding pass will print, etc. Basically, all of their systems except the pricing engine will treat it as two separate journeys.

If you started with LAX-SFO-NRT all on one day, you’d be absolutely correct, however.

Originally Posted by myperks
I’m not sure what you’re trying to ask.

UA’s customer-facing systems are not well schooled in fare breaks or transfers vs. stopovers. If you’re asking if it would be possible to SDC two flights separately if there were a fare break at the transfer point, the answer is yes, with an agent’s help — but it’s very rare to find a fare that would allow that construction (or that allows a domestic stopover). If it’s showing up as a 22-hour transfer, the chances are 99.99% that it’s a through fare. FWIW, if you wanted to try to SDC to create a stopover that was allowed by the fare, it’d take an agent’s help and likely a good deal of patience.

Originally Posted by fumje
Historically the app SDC has allowed creation of stopovers, by rolling to whatever the latest next flight option is, but they have tightened the options it offers. I don't think it was ever technically within the rules to do that, though.
Correct; it was a byproduct of the way that the app worked and was never the intention. I suspect it’s still possible if you can get the app to offer you a next-day flight, but those seem to be hard to come by recently.

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Anyone found that the app is lately not showing all sdc eligible options, particularly direct connections in P class?
Yes; there have been many reports going back the past few months. UA appears to be working on another tweak to the in-app SDC options.

Originally Posted by getagb
Thanks. I wrote to global services and they responded:
What were you hoping to accomplish by writing to GS?

I can promise you, FlyerTalk knows more about the way SDC actually works — especially in the app — than the GS desk.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:43 pm

Must be answered already...not sure I have found it exactly...

I flew SFO-KOA-HNL-GUM-NRT semi-recently, with 16-23 hours in between each flight (for a multi-island tour of the Pacific that was only the price of SFO-NRT).

I had no issues SDC'ing to an earlier SFO-KOA that gave me 30+ hours on the Big Island. The SFO-KOA flight showed up for check-in on its own, and SDC to an earlier flight worked as normal. (I actually asked about it in this very thread).

I suspect since your LAX-SFO is on an entirely different calendar day from SFO-NRT, UA's check-in system will probably treat it by itself and allow you to SDC as if your itinerary was just LAX-SFO.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SDC into PZ on a CPU

Well this is a new one to me...

Flying LAX-SFO today on a last minute booking. Fight was ticketed late yesterday (within 24 hours of the flight), and CPU cleared about 2 hours later.

A few hours ago I decided to depart a few hours earlier. SDC in the app gave multiple options, most of them a confirmed seat in "First (PZ)". Selected the one I wanted, and sure enough cleared straight into PZ.

Ticket was a W fare, and the upgrade was a CPU (not RDU). There were others in the upgrade list for the flight I changed onto, and when I checked before confirming the change it was showing F1 PZ1 and went to F0 PZ0 afterwards.

Old May 26, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by docbert
Well this is a new one to me...

Flying LAX-SFO today on a last minute booking. Fight was ticketed late yesterday (within 24 hours of the flight), and CPU cleared about 2 hours later.

A few hours ago I decided to depart a few hours earlier. SDC in the app gave multiple options, most of them a confirmed seat in "First (PZ)". Selected the one I wanted, and sure enough cleared straight into PZ.

Ticket was a W fare, and the upgrade was a CPU (not RDU). There were others in the upgrade list for the flight I changed onto, and when I checked before confirming the change it was showing F1 PZ1 and went to F0 PZ0 afterwards.

This has been SDC behavior since UA changed from "R" to "PZ" for upgrades. The app will ONLY offer SDC to flights with PZ open now if you are confirmed on an upgrade. In order to downgrade yourself for a flight you want to get on (back to "W" in your case), you would have to call for the SDC. Some like it, some don't.

-RM
Old May 26, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This has been SDC behavior since UA changed from "R" to "PZ" for upgrades. The app will ONLY offer SDC to flights with PZ open now if you are confirmed on an upgrade. In order to downgrade yourself for a flight you want to get on (back to "W" in your case), you would have to call for the SDC. Some like it, some don't.

-RM
It's awful for those waitlisted for a CPU or instrument supported upgrade since you're queue jumping as they won't clear instruments within t-2 hours which is when they open PZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.