Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Nope. You should be concerned if you're constantly SDC'ing to flights that either steal first class seats (e.g. PZ to PZ) or give you much longer routings to earn PQM. Although I'm still not convinced the latter raises any eyebrows at United.
In regard to "stealing" PZ, just experienced the following for the first time: is this what you're referring to?

Had a flight from a leisure destination that got CPU'd (I'm 90+% on this route as 1K). SDC'ed a couple times (into always available PZ space). Noticed post-flight that it PQM/PQS'ed into Z for extra credit. Is this normal and/or a red flag?

Last edited by msg75; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:49 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msg75
In regard to "stealing" PZ, just experienced the following for the first time: is this what you're referring to?

Had a flight from a leisure destination that got CPU'd (I'm 90+% on this route as 1K). SDC'ed a couple times (into always available PZ space). Noticed post-flight that it PQM/PQS'ed into Z for extra credit. Is this normal and/or a red flag?
That is abnormal.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by msg75

Had a flight from a leisure destination that got CPU'd (I'm 90+% on this route as 1K). SDC'ed a couple times (into always available PZ space).
I don't know that I would call it "stealing" PZ space. What you are really doing is queue jumping everyone who is on the waitlist for the flight you are SDC'ing into. Lets say you clear a CPU on a flight at an unpopular time and the upgrade list is empty or only has a handful of people on it.. Now you own PZ class and your underlying fare does not come into consideration for SDC (currently). The flight you want to move to has an upgrade list 40 deep but is not offered on SDC yet. Once that flight time nears and they level out the fare classes, it is very likely that at least PZ1 will show up if there are any FC seats left. Then the SDC engine will let you move into that flight and "take" the FC seat, effectively jumping over everyone on the list by a CPU you got from a different flight. Some might say that is not "fair" as you earned your CPU under different circumstances than the 40 people you didn't have to compete against and are now on the same flight with. I have mixed feelings on this strategy, as I have both jumped to another flight with my PZ intact, but have also died on the upgrade list at #1 watching seats disappear as my flight approaches. But ultimately it is the system in place now & you just have to figure out how work within it to maximize your benefits.

Now that SDC seems to be restricted to only allowing 2 segments (at most) on a reservation, the most PZ seat you are taking out of inventory is 1 more than your original flight (if you SDC a nonstop to a connecting flight). In the past, you could string 4-5 (or more) together & that would take quite a few FC seats out of circulation. Were you costing UA money when you did that? Maybe some. But what you were really doing was taking potential upgrades away from fellow elites.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Were you costing UA money when you did that? Maybe some. But what you were really doing was taking potential upgrades away from fellow elites.
You were doing both, and one of those two things is something UA cares about.

I do not believe that the new SDC restrictions are a coincidence.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
You were doing both, and one of those two things is something UA cares about.

I do not believe that the new SDC restrictions are a coincidence.
I'm not sure it's just that, but I don't doubt it plays a role. I would very much prefer that they changed it to make SDC go back to Y if upgraded, rather than this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm not sure it's just that, but I don't doubt it plays a role. I would very much prefer that they changed it to make SDC go back to Y if upgraded, rather than this.
I agree, and I expect that they will. (I assume it's turned out to be more difficult than they expected). However, I think they were also upset with people doing the same thing on a P fare.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree, and I expect that they will. (I assume it's turned out to be more difficult than they expected). However, I think they were also upset with people doing the same thing on a P fare.
I think they will fix SDC to push you back to your underlying economy fare & that is probably the "fair" thing to do. Frankly it has been a pain lately to call in for SDC's after having been upgraded.

I understand concerns about abusing SDC's on FC fares and agree, but I really do miss being able to string a few a "G" fare segments together via SDC for a mini MR. I do wish that would come back, but it's probably gone for good. Even if they restricted it to being all in the same calendar day, you could still get 5-6 segments together when going from East-West starting @ 6 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
The app-based SDC has been behaving strangely. Two data points:

1. PZ situation. On a two-segment domestic ticket (DCA-IAH-LAX) with original in W and second segment in PZ cleared at T-96, the SDC button did not appear at T-24 even though there were dozens of available options with 9s across the board. The 1K desk even had trouble and mentioned a “married segment problem.” After the 1K desk forced an SDC to DCA-ORD-LAX back into W (booo), the button reappeared with tons of options. Same thing on the return LAX-ORD-DCA with original in G and second segment in PZ. Interestingly, once I boarded LAX-ORD, it gave me the button, but I did not study the options.

2. Change of dates. Arriving at ORD at 6:00 pm CDT, I should have had a dozen SDC options to DCA on the next calendar day, with 9s across the board, but only the last flight of the same day showed up as an option. It appeared as though the app didn’t like a change of dates.

The good news is that the 1K desk correctly applied the SDC rules. The bad news is that the wealth of options that were previously available on the app did not show up. Hopefully a one time glitch, but will check again on Sun-Mon on CR2/145 with no PZ complications.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKBelonger
The app-based SDC has been behaving strangely. Two data points:

1. PZ situation. On a two-segment domestic ticket (DCA-IAH-LAX) with original in W and second segment in PZ cleared at T-96, the SDC button did not appear at T-24 even though there were dozens of available options with 9s across the board.
Once you're in PZ, the app seems to want to keep you going through the same connection point, with the same fare classes you're currently in -- W and PZ, in this case. It's extremely frustrating.

The 1K desk even had trouble and mentioned a “married segment problem.” After the 1K desk forced an SDC to DCA-ORD-LAX back into W (booo), the button reappeared with tons of options. Same thing on the return LAX-ORD-DCA with original in G and second segment in PZ. Interestingly, once I boarded LAX-ORD, it gave me the button, but I did not study the options.
SDC absolutely should drop your CPU. It would be nice if you could SDC with a cleared instrument into open PZ space, but you shouldn't be able to SDC a CPU and skip the line.

2. Change of dates. Arriving at ORD at 6:00 pm CDT, I should have had a dozen SDC options to DCA on the next calendar day, with 9s across the board, but only the last flight of the same day showed up as an option. It appeared as though the app didn’t like a change of dates.
This has been reported several times recently for SDC at the connecting point.

The good news is that the 1K desk correctly applied the SDC rules. The bad news is that the wealth of options that were previously available on the app did not show up. Hopefully a one time glitch, but will check again on Sun-Mon on CR2/145 with no PZ complications.
By "correctly applied," do you mean that you called them for your return flight to change to the next day's ORD-DCA? That's actually not correct; it's just that we've gotten used to the app allowing it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Just called to SDC ORD-MSP-DEN-HDN to ORD-DEN-HDN which required manual intervention in order to confirm. ORD-MSP-DEN was originally booked in C. I received an e-mail confirmation of the change that shows my new ORD-DEN segment now booked in P.

Should I try and get the fare class changed back to C from P prior to the flight or fight for the PQM credit after the fact?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by onthesam
Just called to SDC ORD-MSP-DEN-HDN to ORD-DEN-HDN which required manual intervention in order to confirm. ORD-MSP-DEN was originally booked in C. I received an e-mail confirmation of the change that shows my new ORD-DEN segment now booked in P.

Should I try and get the fare class changed back to C from P prior to the flight or fight for the PQM credit after the fact?
Much easier to do it before the flight. This is assuming they processed this as an SDC and not a change.

-RM
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Much easier to do it before the flight. This is assuming they processed this as an SDC and not a change.

-RM
Thanks RM. Helpful lounge agent sorted it right out for me. I recommend the lounge agent route for anyone who faces this issue and has 5-10 minutes to spare at the UC.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

I'm also curious if you got the 1K desk to change to the next day's flight at the connection point. My recent experience with this didn't go so well.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30976640-post880.html

But then I noticed the wiki says this is actually permitted. So now I'm wondering if I encountered a misinformed agent.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
But then I noticed the wiki says this is actually permitted. So now I'm wondering if I encountered a misinformed agent.
The wiki may well be out of date.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by econ
but then I noticed the wiki says this is actually permitted. So now I'm wondering if I encountered a misinformed agent.
Those of us who travel frequently & are avid SDC'rs have noticed some severe tightening of the "rules" we have been operating under. The wiki is only a guideline based on past experiences coupled with the "official" rules.

The wiki is going to need some serious updating once a clearer picture of UA's intent is discerned in regard to the current published rules and how they are going to enforce them moving forward. It is possible the published rules will also have wording added to emphasize these new SDC policy implementations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.