Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:59 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by mehitabel
Yes, on the same route. I checked EF and found options (not negated by routing restrictions) that weren't available via UA app or website. Also, as you and others have noted, there were no options offered after my scheduled flight, only earlier. I'm hoping this is all a glitch, but fear UA is tightening SDC rules, with official announcement to follow. As a Plat, SDC latitude is the benefit I most value. If regs get more restrictive, I'll have far less motivation to stick with UA.
Agreed! SDC is the best United feature and what keeps me hooked to them.

I've noticed the same issue in the past 2 weeks on the app. However, clicking "My Trips" -> "Details" -> "Change Flight" button takes you to united.com where SDC options appear normally. It has always been so convenient in the app (i.e. clicking "Confirmed Seat $0"), so I hope they fix this soon!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I have Thu 4/04 0600 YVR-SFO-LAX on a cheapest G fare. I am in no rush to get home and have all day (and even Fri 4/05) to burn. I am reasonably hoping for later SFO-LAX options that would give me 1 extra PQS and 500 extra PQM. However, I'm also dreaming of the app giving me YVR-DEN/ORD/IAH which are wide open in G (while DEN/ORD/IAH-LAX G availabilities vary). All these flights depart YVR between 0615 and 0730.

My question is when OLCI window opens at Wed 4/03 0600, should I delay OLCI? Problem is YVR-SFO (738) is currently 4/16 booked. CPU may be granted soon after I finished OLCI. If I OLCI early, DEN/ORD/IAH options won't appear yet. Will a confirmed CPU at ~0610 hurt my chances for seeing later DEN/ORD/IAH offers?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
Agreed! SDC is the best United feature and what keeps me hooked to them.

I've noticed the same issue in the past 2 weeks on the app. However, clicking "My Trips" -> "Details" -> "Change Flight" button takes you to united.com where SDC options appear normally. It has always been so convenient in the app (i.e. clicking "Confirmed Seat $0"), so I hope they fix this soon!
Yes, I tried that workaround, and was able to SDC to the next day. The change processed with a $0 fee, but at the final screen I got both confirmation and a message to call customer service prior to check in, as a new ticket had to be issued. So that's interesting. The Premiere Desk agent was as perplexed as I was, but reissued the ticket without problem, As footnote, by that point I was able to see later flights in the app, but only connecting flights on the same calendar day. This was Sunday 3/31 SFO-EWR, when most nonstop flights were full/oversold, so it's notable that the app wasn't offering Monday morning options with open seats in most fare classes. On the website, the Mon morning flights (within the 24 hour window) only appeared via the "My Trips" -> "Details" -> "Change Flight" screens that you outline.

I'm cynical enough to still fear UA is reeling in SDC options, but the website hasn't fully caught up to the forthcoming policy change. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this one.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure what the motivation for a stealth change would be. If UA wanted to change SDC rules effective immediately, I don't see what would stop them from doing so.

They tweak the in-app SDC all the time; I think they're still trying to make it work the way they want. In other words, I suspect incompetent,e not malice.

In the meantime, you can call to make changes that are within policy.
Thanks for the reassuring voice of experience. I'll take incompetence over malice any day

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 11:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
CPU may be granted soon after I finished OLCI. If I OLCI early, DEN/ORD/IAH options won't appear yet. Will a confirmed CPU at ~0610 hurt my chances for seeing later DEN/ORD/IAH offers?
If you get a CPU, the app will currently only show you routes with PZ space available, preserving the upgrade. Even ignoring whether or not you'd want to skip past the rest of the upgrade queue, it's rare to find much PZ space on the day of departure.

You can get upgraded even without checking in, although checking in does seem to trigger a CPU sweep in some cases.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
If you get a CPU, the app will currently only show you routes with PZ space available, preserving the upgrade. Even ignoring whether or not you'd want to skip past the rest of the upgrade queue, it's rare to find much PZ space on the day of departure.
Thanks. Unfortunately I just checked all 3 YVR departures and they are PZ0.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-parents are flying PBI-EWR-SFO with a 4 1/2 hour layover at EWR and I'm looking at doing a SDC to shorten their layover where I can try for a later departure ex-PBI or an earlier departure ex-EWR.

I know that the SDC kicks in for the first leg at t-24 but if I want to SDC the second leg, is it t-24 for the second leg or does it all fall under t-24 for the first leg/start of the trip as if t-24 for the second leg, then I'll hold off checking them in until t-24 for the second leg if I can't works a SDC on the first leg
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
goalie-parents are flying PBI-EWR-SFO with a 4 1/2 hour layover at EWR and I'm looking at doing a SDC to shorten their layover where I can try for a later departure ex-PBI or an earlier departure ex-EWR.

I know that the SDC kicks in for the first leg at t-24 but if I want to SDC the second leg, is it t-24 for the second leg or does it all fall under t-24 for the first leg/start of the trip as if t-24 for the second leg, then I'll hold off checking them in until t-24 for the second leg if I can't works a SDC on the first leg
All falls under first leg.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by BThumme
All falls under first leg.
Thank you ^ as that makes things easier
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
For a SFO-IAD flight. My understanding is that direct SDC into a ps route, e.g. SFO-EWR-IAD is not allowed. Can I increase my chance by first SDC into SFO-LAX-IAD, and then SDC while I'm at LAX, e.g. SFO-LAX-EWR-IAD? I don't mind multiple connections as long as the long haul(east to west) leg has a nicer seat.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willsplashing
For a SFO-IAD flight. My understanding is that direct SDC into a ps route, e.g. SFO-EWR-IAD is not allowed. Can I increase my chance by first SDC into SFO-LAX-IAD, and then SDC while I'm at LAX, e.g. SFO-LAX-EWR-IAD? I don't mind multiple connections as long as the long haul(east to west) leg has a nicer seat.
Not as such, no. It will still be disallowed by your fare (assuming they didn't make a mistake when they input the fares, which does sometimes happen).

Now, if I could see that there was availability from LAX, but none from SFO, I might give it a try to see what happens, but to answer your specific question, adding an extra stop won't somehow make it a legal SDC.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I am now 100% convinced UA has changed SDC rules at least via the mobile app. Yesterday I was flying East Coast - IAH - West Coast. (For those following my questions on this thread and others I already SDC'd from LGA-SFO-xxx to route via another hub altogether). I was on a paid Z fare.

Upon boarding in LGA I attempted to SDC from the hub I was flying through. The ONLY flight that would show up from that point on was the later non-stop to my destination. Meanwhile, several connections had availability but were no offered. In addition, several flights the next day had availability and also were not offered.

So it means one or more of the following are true:
1. You can only SDC once through the app now. Since I had already SDC'd away from the LGA-SFO flight that would count as one SDC.
2. You can no longer SDC to the following day.
3. You can no longer SDC to add an additional connection. One and done.

I truly don't know which of the above are true at the moment but given the past SDC changes I've noticed it could be a combo of all three.

And, yes, my routing rules allowed connections in ANY airport (EWR/WAS/ORD/IAH/DEN/SFO/LAX).

-RM
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
SDC on App is Single calendar Day Change!

Believe or not, the current state of SDC on App is extremely limited: 1) the same calendar only; 2) change of two segments to two segments and 3) change of one segment to one segment. I do not know whether or not there is a limit on the number of change per day. I think that you can no longer change one segment to two segments.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Hi all! I have upcoming travel to BKK, and I'm returning via BKK -> NRT -> EWR (all in P). My layover at NRT is only 2 hours, and I'd rather avoid the stress of rushing through the terminal to catch my connecting flight. I'm now wondering if there's any way to SDC the NRT -> EWR leg to depart the next day and spend a nice day exploring Tokyo instead.

Unfortunately, the UA-metal flight I'm taking from NRT -> EWR only operates every 24 hours which means I can't do a simple SDC to the flight on the following day. Instead, would it make sense to SDC to a later non-direct flight (e.g. NRT -> DEN -> EWR) and then quickly SDC again to the nonstop NRT -> EWR for the following day? If so, what are the chances of this spectacularly backfiring and forcing me to take a 30+ hour flight through DEN?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ettaro
Hi all! I have upcoming travel to BKK, and I'm returning via BKK -> NRT -> EWR (all in P). My layover at NRT is only 2 hours, and I'd rather avoid the stress of rushing through the terminal to catch my connecting flight. I'm now wondering if there's any way to SDC the NRT -> EWR leg to depart the next day and spend a nice day exploring Tokyo instead.

Unfortunately, the UA-metal flight I'm taking from NRT -> EWR only operates every 24 hours which means I can't do a simple SDC to the flight on the following day. Instead, would it make sense to SDC to a later non-direct flight (e.g. NRT -> DEN -> EWR) and then quickly SDC again to the nonstop NRT -> EWR for the following day? If so, what are the chances of this spectacularly backfiring and forcing me to take a 30+ hour flight through DEN?
Welcome to FT!

You have correctly assessed the situation. Check the flight loads, but, yes, there's a good chance that this will backfire, because you need P availability on the day of travel, and NRT->US flights often fill.

Also, two hours is more than enough time to connect through NRT.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
[...]two hours is more than enough time to connect through NRT.
I agree! Not sure if the OP is familar with NRT, but having *A Gold will allow you to access the business/premier security lane which will speed the process up also. Good luck! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.