Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Canceling the nonrefundable ticket or changing it into a refundable V-fare seems to be the best option here. I can waitlist my GPUs, and if they don’t clear on the outbound we’ll just cancel the whole thing and stay in Colorado. While the $300 change fee per ticket are gone in this scenario, and the originally paid $535 would be a flight credit which I can use two weeks later on my next business trip, the difference in fare would be refundable. So no real risk involved other than the $300 change fee per ticket, which I would incur anyway if we canceled the trip as-is.
^ That makes sense. I would just check two things:
1 - Make sure that your original flight credit can be used toward a domestic flight. Most of the time, that will be possible, but there are sometimes weird restrictions baked into the fare rules. I'd use ExpertFlyer for this; if you're not a member, they offer a five-day free trial that would be perfect. Pull up the fare rules, as of your ticketing date, and look at the voluntary changes section.
2 - If you decide to try to buy up to V, as opposed to cancelling and buying a fresh ticket, make 100% sure that the agent issues you a refundable ticket. Don't say "V fare," say something like "refundable, upgrade-eligible fare." You should know if the agent got it right by the fare difference. This is important, because it's entirely possible for UA to publish a non-refundable V fare and a refundable V fare for the same route. Also, understand that "refundable" doesn't necessarily mean what you might think. I took a quick look at a V fare for DEN-SYD, and it's refundable with a $300 cancellation fee. So, if you have to cancel, you'd be out another $300 per ticket. The original amount would stay non-refundable, and you'd get back the fare difference less the $300 fee.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
+1 on "refundable" means "refundable minus penalty" in the Australian market.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, understand that "refundable" doesn't necessarily mean what you might think. I took a quick look at a V fare for DEN-SYD, and it's refundable with a $300 cancellation fee. So, if you have to cancel, you'd be out another $300 per ticket. The original amount would stay non-refundable, and you'd get back the fare difference less the $300 fee.
That right there was a game changer. I'll leave everything as-is, and if PZ inventory opens up in the meantime, I'll buy up then. Otherwise, stay-cation here we come. We also got a doctors note just in case, so we can cancel the trip and get our money back from the Visa Signature travel insurance.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:57 pm

That right there was a game changer. I'll leave everything as-is, and if PZ inventory opens up in the meantime, I'll buy up then. Otherwise, stay-cation here we come. We also got a doctors note just in case, so we can cancel the trip and get our money back from the Visa Signature travel insurance.
United's policy is to waive* the change fee if you have a doctor's note, and to refund the whole ticket if you're doctor's note says you can't fly during the period of validity (1 year).

* Actually you pay the change fee and then get it refunded.

Insurance is a good backup though.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by threeoh
United's policy is to waive* the change fee if you have a doctor's note, and to refund the whole ticket if you're doctor's note says you can't fly during the period of validity (1 year).

* Actually you pay the change fee and then get it refunded.

Insurance is a good backup though.
Is that an official policy or YMMV?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:06 pm

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/refund -> Refund Policies -> Refund request for nonrefundable tickets — unplanned event

In the event that your travel plans change as a result of illness or jury duty, you will be required to pay the applicable change fee at the time of that change. Once this change fee is applied, you may submit a request to have the fee refunded.
Change fee refunds require a letter (on letterhead) from a licensed physician confirming that travel was not recommended due to the customer's illness. Ticket refunds require a letter (on letterhead) from a licensed physician confirming that travel was not recommended within the validity of the ticket (one year of ticket’s issued date) due to illness. If the request is due to the illness of an immediate family member, the request must contain the family member’s name and relationship to you.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Policy -- more discussion (and wiki summary) in Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'm booked on UA102 (IAH-MUC) on March 22nd on an M fare and have requested an upgrade with a GPU. The flight is currently at J1 N1 C0 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 (flight status says Polaris capacity 30; booked 28). I think it's very safe to say that the odds of this upgrade happening are pretty low.

Does it make sense to attempt an SDC to get on a flight with better upgrade odds? united.com is currently offering itineraries that include the following TATLs (I realize that availability may will change between now and the date of my flight):

UA30 EWR-MUC Polaris capacity: 30; booked: 24
UA960 EWR-FRA Polaris capacity: 39; booked: 34
UA952 ORD-MUC Polaris capacity: 48; booked: 40

If so, when does the SDC window open? My first leg is LAX-IAH at 11:40am on March 22nd. Does that SDC window open at 11:40am on March 21st? I see no restrictions on waived SDC charges for international flights; that is the case, yes?

I feel like I should know all this, but I rarely attempt such modifications to my itineraries.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:33 am Reason: Moved to SDC master thread
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
If so, when does the SDC window open? My first leg is LAX-IAH at 11:40am on March 22nd. Does that SDC window open at 11:40am on March 21st? I see no restrictions on waived SDC charges for international flights; that is the case, yes?
Yes, you can SDC international flights, provided all downline flights are UA-operated. So, it really only works if MUC is your final destination, and you won't be able to change to EWR-FRA. And, the SDC window will open as soon as you are within 24 hours of both your current and target flight.

Note that you may have a hard time transferring a waitlisted upgrade instrument. Some agents will do it; some will say "no new waitlist requests within 24 hours of departure." If the flight you want has PZ inventory, though, you're golden.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, you can SDC international flights, provided all downline flights are UA-operated. So, it really only works if MUC is your final destination, and you won't be able to change to EWR-FRA.
Thank you very much for this. One more question: I do have one downline LH flight: MUC-FCO. UA30 and UA952 would both get me to MUC in time to catch my original connection to FCO. Does that still pose a problem for an SDC on this itinerary?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iapetus
Thank you very much for this. One more question: I do have one downline LH flight: MUC-FCO. UA30 and UA952 would both get me to MUC in time to catch my original connection to FCO. Does that still pose a problem for an SDC on this itinerary?
You won't be able to SDC with a downline partner segment still to be flown.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Bummer. But, thanks! Now I can focus my energies elsewhere ...

This is probably why I don't wind up pursuing SDCs in the first place ...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
you can definitely SDC to another (combination of) United flights with a down line partner connection. Last month it was offered on my sfo to fra to del with LH on the fra to del. A list of united connecting flights to get me to fra with the same LH flight to Delhi was offered.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks

you can definitely SDC to another (combination of) United flights with a down line partner connection. Last month it was offered on my sfo to fra to del with LH on the fra to del. A list of united connecting flights to get me to fra with the same LH flight to Delhi was offered.
Did you have a long layover at FRA? If not, and it was offering you options including all of the flights, e.g., SFO-ORD-FRA-DEL, that would be news to me. I wonder if that is specific to LH.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
No, you cannot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.