Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Original outbound flight booked:
UA881 ORD-NRT 12:05pm
in K class
Premier gold

Later my friend traveling with me realized she has something to take care of in the morning. She can leave for the airport at 11 am and be at the airport around 11:25. I could take her check in luggage to the airport and check it first so by the time my friend gets there she just have to check in and go through security, but the possibility of making it to the flight is too thin...So I'm considering the possibility of doing a SDC.

ANA has a flight later in the day at 4:15pm (NH111) to HND, and the best case scenario for us is to change it to this flight, but is it possible to change to an ANA operated flight?

And if I'm understanding this correctly, I will have to request the change 24 hrs before the original scheduled departure time and also 24 hrs within the departure time of the flight I intend to change to? So with the ANA example I will need to make the change after 4:15 pm the day before departure?

Would I be better off to do nothing and go to the airport, then check with the agents to see if there's better options?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captls7
in K class
Premier gold

Later my friend traveling with me realized she has something to take care of in the morning. She can leave for the airport at 11 am and be at the airport around 11:25. I could take her check in luggage to the airport and check it first so by the time my friend gets there she just have to check in and go through security, but the possibility of making it to the flight is too thin...So I'm considering the possibility of doing a SDC.
You can't check someone else's luggage for them -- ID is required. You could check it under your own name, but it would count against your luggage allowance. (And, of course, you're responsible for the contents).

ANA has a flight later in the day at 4:15pm (NH111) to HND, and the best case scenario for us is to change it to this flight, but is it possible to change to an ANA operated flight?
No. You can't change airports with SDC, nor can you change to an ANA-operated flight.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, I will have to request the change 24 hrs before the original scheduled departure time and also 24 hrs within the departure time of the flight I intend to change to? So with the ANA example I will need to make the change after 4:15 pm the day before departure?
That would be correct, if it were possible.

Would I be better off to do nothing and go to the airport, then check with the agents to see if there's better options?
Yes. Or, to hope for a delay.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
in K class
Premier gold

ANA has a flight later in the day at 4:15pm (NH111) to HND, and the best case scenario for us is to change it to this flight, but is it possible to change to an ANA operated flight? ...
No, only to UA operated flights

Also, you are not able to change to the same flight on another day -- the 24 hour rule is actual a bit less than a full 24 hours.

Couple of other flags
For an international flight checkin must be completed an hour before departure, but that can be doe remotely
However, if not AT the gate and ready to board 30 minutes before departure, there is a chance your reservation will be cancelled

Your friend has two choices --
skip the appointment and make the scheduled flight
or make the appointment and take a different flight

There might be a different routing -- such as ORD-SFO-NRT that may be possible -- either by SDC or by showing up at ORD within 2 hours of the ORD-NRT and hoping the agents can figure out something (one timethis was called the Flat Tire Rule)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:33 am

Hi jsloan

Thanks for you assistance last weekend. I ended up just paying the change fee and downgrading to economy, but one of their managers called me later and gave credit to offset the fee in good faith.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
in K class
Premier gold

Arriving at 11:25 gives her only 10 minutes to get to the C gate before the 30 minute cut off. Assuming she has precheck, 5-10 minutes to get through security may be feasible. Another 5-10 minutes to walk through the tunnel between B and C concourse. She would be at the gate after the 30 minute cut off, but before they would actually close the door (15 minute) 11:50 am.

I believe one of the reason for the 30 minute cut off is to off load checked baggage for those who haven't boarded. Also they can start assigning seats to stand by passengers.

Once the gate agent arrives you should tell them that your friend is running late and should be at the gate between the 30 minute cut off and the closing of the door. Hopefully they will be helpful and let you know if there will be a problem.

Check the stand by list versus the # of open seats. That close to departure, the seat map should be fairly accurate. Hopefully economy will be wide open and the agents will have started to assign seats to stand by passengers even before the 30 minute cut off.

If your friend is running late or the flight is full, she may be able to do a same day change. Since she has not checked in any bags, the app should show her options (other United connection in k class)

Good luck.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I'm planning a YVR-SFO-LAX along with a non-status family member. I imagine PNR will split when OLCI. Assuming no checked bags,

Q1: If the companion wants to go along with me on this PQM run, will it be hard to do SDC on the app without involving an agent (and avoid $75)?

Q2: If the companion wants to terminate the SDC run and go home ahead of me, will be be difficult to do on the app?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I'm planning a YVR-SFO-LAX along with a non-status family member. I imagine PNR will split when OLCI. Assuming no checked bags,

Q1: If the companion wants to go along with me on this PQM run, will it be hard to do SDC on the app without involving an agent (and avoid $75)?

Q2: If the companion wants to terminate the SDC run and go home ahead of me, will be be difficult to do on the app?
A1: The last time I flew with a non-status traveling companion (just a few weeks ago), the PNR was split at OLCI (despite me never seeing the option to want to be on the upgrade list, which I was going to refuse, so that we wouldn't be split). Regardless, later on in the trip, SDC options were presented to both myself and her, both for $0. You will end up with a new PNR, and your companion will keep the original PNR.

A2: I'm assuming that if your companion wants to go home, they will just make sure their trip has them returning to YVR, and take those flights. Or, is there more to your question that I'm not understanding?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
A1: The last time I flew with a non-status traveling companion (just a few weeks ago), the PNR was split at OLCI (despite me never seeing the option to want to be on the upgrade list, which I was going to refuse, so that we wouldn't be split). Regardless, later on in the trip, SDC options were presented to both myself and her, both for $0. You will end up with a new PNR, and your companion will keep the original PNR.

A2: I'm assuming that if your companion wants to go home, they will just make sure their trip has them returning to YVR, and take those flights. Or, is there more to your question that I'm not understanding?
Home is LAX so your A1 seems to have addressed Q2.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Home is LAX so your A1 seems to have addressed Q2.
Sorry, I thought you meant you were flying YVR-SFO-LAX round trip.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Does anyone know if MIA/FLL are co-terminals for the purpose of SDC?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oblisk
Does anyone know if MIA/FLL are co-terminals for the purpose of SDC?
SDC does not recognize the co-terminal concept -- only exact same original departure and arrival airports, no changes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:31 pm Reason: split post
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SDC does not recognize the co-terminal concept -- only exact same original departure and arrival airports, no changes.
They used to back in the day ... at least when I was Dallas based and was 1K, and it did not require Irrops, in which case of course co terminals magically happen

Moot point now that UA does not fly to DAL and I am not based there anymore.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
They used to back in the day ... at least when I was Dallas based and was 1K, and it did not require Irrops, in which case of course co terminals magically happen
irrops and SDC (the OP's question) are two unrelated items. SDC rules have never allowed used of co-terminals
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
They used to back in the day ... at least when I was Dallas based and was 1K, and it did not require Irrops
(Bolding mine)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
irrops and SDC (the OP's question) are two unrelated items. SDC rules have never allowed used of co-terminals
Sounds like there is a disagreement.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sounds like there is a disagreement.
Nope, EmailKid referring to a past, not current rule. Current rule is not subject to dispute. No co-terminals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.