Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mdbe
well,

i’m currently at a connection point for a different itinerary (XXX-YYY-ZZZ) and the app is giving me numeorus options to reroute including backtracking on a 5h flt and going back to the destination, all in first.
Yeah, but I bet you're not getting LAX-LIH-SFO for LAX-SFO. That's the kind of thing jsloan was referring to.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I’m getting IAH-SFO-somewhere on the east coast vs a direct flight.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I’m getting IAH-SFO-somewhere on the east coast vs a direct flight.
Like I said . . . .
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well,

i’m currently at a connection point for a different itinerary (XXX-YYY-ZZZ) and the app is giving me numeorus options to reroute including backtracking on a 5h flt and going back to the destination, all in first.
Perhaps they’re back to being more permissive.

That said, the more often people do this in F, the more quickly it will be tightened up again, or worse. Y isn’t a big deal; doing it in F, you’re either taking somebody’s upgrade or taking UA’s TOD revenue. I promise you they care about one of those things.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan

Perhaps they’re back to being more permissive.

That said, the more often people do this in F, the more quickly it will be tightened up again, or worse. Y isn’t a big deal; doing it in F, you’re either taking somebody’s upgrade or taking UA’s TOD revenue. I promise you they care about one of those things.
I definitely took advantage of the permissive SDC options last year to generate more PQM in my race to MM, but only when in Y. I wanted to stay under the radar as jsloan is alluding to.
FWIW, in looking at my flight history from last year, the permissive SDC options were in the months of January-March, then they disappeared. If they come back, it might have something to do with lower loads that time of year?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:44 pm

Best booking method that will give me most SDC options

Sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong thread.

I was lucky enough to secure tickets on the Air NZ business class deal from Chicago to SYD.

My return journey has me on LAX to ORD in Z class. However, my end goal is to get to EWR.

I will have to book a separate ticket to get from ORD to EWR. If I book this short leg in Z class, will I have any luck being able to standby or confirm a direct LAX to EWR within 24 hours?

I have a 10 hour layover in LAX and dont mind staying a night in LA if it is an option.

If this isnt possible, I will probably just book cheapest economy ticket for the short ORD-EWR segment.

If it matters...when I land in LAX I will technically be Gold Status because of the AKL - LAX segment, but I am assuming there is a delay before these benefits kick in.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
My return journey has me on LAX to ORD in Z class. However, my end goal is to get to EWR.

I will have to book a separate ticket to get from ORD to EWR. If I book this short leg in Z class, will I have any luck being able to standby or confirm a direct LAX to EWR within 24 hours?
You mean combine two tickets into a single nonstop itinerary? No.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean combine two tickets into a single nonstop itinerary? No.
I've had that happen in the case of IRRPS when I'd clearly never make it to the city of the ticket switch (It's not a connection if there are two tickets) in time for the flight to my final destination. But that required a telephone call, a lot of explanation, and an astute agent.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn

I have a 10 hour layover in LAX and dont mind staying a night in LA if it is an option.

If this isnt possible, I will probably just book cheapest economy ticket for the short ORD-EWR segment.
Book the cheapest economy ticket - the only way you get two separate PNR's into one segment is IRROPS or IDB, in which case your fare class won't matter.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Any recent experiences w/r/t SDC on non-016 stock? Obviously against the published rules, and I saw the 'consequences warning', but I also found an example that stated that simple 'take an earlier flight on the exact same routing by the exact same carrier' may be possible without reticketing by the issuing carrier and thus would be okay.

Exact scenario is flying ORD-LAX on UA then LAX-AKL on NZ, ticketed on NZ stock, and would really prefer to take an earlier ORD-LAX flight. So same day, same routing etc. Just show up at airport early and catch the earlier plane. Thoughts on if this is possible without a reticket, and if so, the best way to physically accomplish it?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
SDC Question

Next week I have following trip in business class:
ORD-FRA UA ticket on UA metal
FRA-JNB UA codeshare on SAA metal.

I would like to try to use the SDC process to change to following:
ORD- LHR UA on UA
LHR-JNB operated by SAA

As newly minted Global services member, Do I have any chance of making this happen? Any other alternatives that the group might suggest?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akhibhag

ORD- LHR UA on UA
LHR-JNB operated by SAA

As newly minted Global services member, Do I have any chance of making this happen? Any other alternatives that the group might suggest?
No chance*. You can't change non-UA metal flights with SDC. What kind of alternatives do you want? Are you trying to go through LHR? At best I can imagine getting your change fees waived.

*I have never been GS to ask for such, but it would be an exceptional deviation.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by fumje
No chance*. You can't change non-UA metal flights with SDC. What kind of alternatives do you want? Are you trying to go through LHR? At best I can imagine getting your change fees waived.

*I have never been GS to ask for such, but it would be an exceptional deviation.
yeah was trying to route through LHR as I have almost 10hr layover and would rather spend the time in London vs Frankfurt.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by akhibhag

ORD- LHR UA on UA
LHR-JNB operated by SAA

No, you can't do it and being GS won't help you. (I was GS in the past).

One option is to route yourself ORD-IAH-FRA (to add more miles and cut down on your layover) if that's what you would like to do. Otherwise, enjoy FRA (the city) and the SEN lounge.

-RM
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Book the cheapest economy ticket - the only way you get two separate PNR's into one segment is IRROPS or IDB, in which case your fare class won't matter.
Thanks for the advice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.